Anyone had problems with Hattons?

Topogarden

Placed a substantial order with Hattons. Despatched by 24 Dpd tracked. Never arrived. Contacted Hattons who say the tracking says it’s still in Liverpool but it’s lost. Asked Hattons for a replacement or a refund. Won’t give me either until 20 days have passed. Seems unfair to me. I’ve got neither the money or the goods. Used Hattons for years will think twice about using them again.

Anyone had similar problems and how was it resolved?

Placed a substantial order with Hattons. Despatched by 24 Dpd tracked. Never arrived. Contacted Hattons who say the tracking says it’s still in Liverpool but it’s lost. Asked Hattons for a replacement or a refund. Won’t give me either until 20 days have passed. Seems unfair to me. I’ve got neither the money or the goods. Used Hattons for years will think twice about using them again.

If paid by credit card you can contact your provider to enquire Edited by enginelane

Its not exactly Hattons fault, is it.

How long has it been since you placed the order and subsequently asked Hattons for refund/replacement?

If the tracking says its in the DPD depot, all they can do is make representations to DPD, perhaps you could too?  Given that the courier tracking is active, in other words its still "in transit", then there's possibly a reason (ie Hattons being able to claim from the courier) for the 20 days delay.

Once dispatched it is not Hattons fault if it is not delivered it is the delivery company DPD who have lost it.

There will be a standard process that involves allowing time to see if it resurfaces after which Hattons can claim back from DPD and refund you.

If you go to your credit card provider they may suspend the item from interest but will also say wait 30 days before they have chargeback rights(well that's what it used to be)

Parcels can and do go missing, you can't simply demand a refund if it doesn't turn up in 24 hours.

It's annoying having to wait yes, but Hattons won't leave you out of pocket at the end of this and maybe the parcel will turn up

• Like 2

As  a  Hattons  customer  since  the  late  60s(!)  I can assure  you  that  will be  looked  after  it may take a  few  days  to  trace  the  delivery  and  I suggest  you keep in touch  with them by telephone.

I would  also  add  that  I  have   used  the  DPD  delivery  by  Midday  service  many  times  without  any  problems occurring

Have  you   checked  the DPD  tracking  yourself  to  check  what info is on  there?

Edited by Stevelewis

Parcels can and do go missing, you can't simply demand a refund if it doesn't turn up in 24 hours.

It's annoying having to wait yes, but Hattons won't leave you out of pocket at the end of this and maybe the parcel will turn up

A company with excellent customer services should give the money back or dispatch the item again instantly.

However excellent is not the same as the legal requirements....

Edited by centraltrains

A company with excellent customer services should give the money back or dispatch the item again instantly.

I don't  think  'instantly' is  quite  the  correct  word  to  be  using  all businesses  have  a right to attempt  problem  resolvement in a  reasonable   space  of  time.

The post is lacking any specifics with respect to dates. They wouldn't be able to tell who you are from the post either but I will speak to them tomorrow to see if they can give more info.

I do think you're a bit unfair to Hatton's to jump on here and malign them when the cause is out of their direct control.

It might not be Hattons fault but it is their responsibility as it is they who have a contract with the courier, so it is unfair to suggest that the customer should be taking it up with the courier. I would wait a while and then ask Hattons to resolve the issue. This is when you find out if they value you as a customer.......

In my case with them they weren't interested until I put the pressure on but in an issue with my parcel from Kernow they provided a swift refund in full.

It might be a good idea to ring your local CAB to find out what your rights are and how you can proceed.

That's great advice; use the slim resources of a volunteer-supported charity-funded organisation to ask why my toys are late arriving.

• Like 12

I use Hattons a lot and have not had a problem but then I have never had a parcel go missing. I don't think you can blame them for the parcel getting lost unless it turns out it was incorrectly labelled.

If it has a tracking number you should be able to go online and try and trace it yourself also most companies use a three week policy before they will replace lost items mainly to give the package sufficient time to re-appear from wherever someone has mistakenly put it.

• RMweb Gold

I think Royal Mail won't initiate refunds for 20 days if items go missing, so it doesn't seem unreasonable if Hattons wait for a similar period when using DPD, who I've always found to be excellent. If it were some of the other couriers, I'd be checking hedges, bins, under next door's cat etc by now, regardless of the computer tracking.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Managing a team at a wholesaler that despatch tens of thousands of parcels by various courier each year, I would suggest 3 to 5 days is a realistic time for dpd to search and resolve to Hattons (their customer). This is frustrating and annoying for you as Hattons customer but does reflect the time it takes for :

1)Hattons to go to dpds central customer service team

2)them to track it and go to both the depot it was last tracked at and the one it was destined for

3)they can both conduct searches both in the building and any parcels left on every van when they return in the evening

4) any other depots can scan any misrouted parcels

5)the results of the searches can be relayed to central customer service

6) customer service can relay to hattons

7) hattons can decide on a course of action, based on good faith in the info from dpd and revert to you.

It could be something as simple as the label wasn’t flat and a conveyor has ripped it off, Leading to it going to a unidentified parcel stack or placed on the wrong overnight trailer and going via another part of the country.

This is all based around couriers that run on minimum financial margins, and staffing that go with it, in line with everyone’s expectations of the cheapest possible delivery charges.

The only courier I have found that truly take 20 days to confirm lost is Royal Mail, which I believe deliver the majority of hattons orders and is therefore likely to guide their “standard” customer service responses.

• Like 2

I placed an order with Hattons recently and they shipped it with DPD. DPD then stated they couldn't find my address day after day despite me taking time off work to make sure I could be in all day.

Rang up Hattons and explained the situation and they agreed to recall the parcel and ship a replacement out using an alternative courier which found my address no problem. I felt this was a satisfactory solution.

I may also add that contacting DPD is an absolute nightmare as they don't have a telephone number for their depots/drivers so it is up to Hattons to get in contact with them.

Edited by bart2day

Royal Mail won't initiate refunds for 20 days if items go missing, so it doesn't seem unreasonable if Hattons wait for a similar period when using DPD.

Royal Mail class an item as lost after 10 days after the expected delivery date (or 5 days for special delivery) so Hattons requiring 20 days for an item with full tracking seems a bit ridiculous.

Edited by bart2day

That's great advice; use the slim resources of a volunteer-supported charity-funded organisation to ask why my toys are late arriving.

Sorry but this is wrong in every way. Firstly CAB is funded not just by donations but by local authorities with the intention of protecting the citizen. Secondly these are not toys, thirdly Hattons, although my experience of the firm has always been positive, seems to have dropped the ball here.

The carrier is Hatton’s contractor not Hatton’s customer’s contractor. Hatton’s should have sent out the order a second time and then demanded that the carrier sends the order back to them when it is found. What it shouldn’t have done is what it seems to have done.

The OP has paid his money and agreed a delivery time period; he is entitled to the goods. I would have thought that was a contract and Hatton’s are breaking it.

Is that based on any facts or just your opinion?

A company working to your terms would probably go out of business very quickly indeed.

Is that based on any facts or just your opinion?

A company working to your terms would probably go out of business very quickly indeed.

I would argue not in this instance. All DPD shipments include full tracking and therefore it is very unlikely a parcel goes missing as it can almost always be located. Therefore Hattons just need to recall the parcel and send out a new one.

Sorry but this is wrong in every way. Firstly CAB is funded not just by donations but by local authorities with the intention of protecting the citizen. Secondly these are not toys, thirdly Hattons, although my experience of the firm has always been positive, seems to have dropped the ball here.

The carrier is Hatton’s contractor not Hatton’s customer’s contractor. Hatton’s should have sent out the order a second time and then demanded that the carrier sends the order back to them when it is found. What it shouldn’t have done is what it seems to have done.

The OP has paid his money and agreed a delivery time period; he is entitled to the goods. I would have thought that was a contract and Hatton’s are breaking it.

Hi Penrith,

Bit confused by your posts. First you state what, in your opinion, hattons should do: the stated action being your view on what makes good customer service. Secondly you suggest the OP contact CAB to enquiry about legal rights. The two are obviously not the same. As an as aside, Hattons website clearly indicates there 20 day policy.

The response of hattons, despite the displeasure of some, seems perfectly reasonably to me.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

I placed an order with Hattons recently and they shipped it with DPD. DPD then stated they couldn't find my address day after day despite me taking time off work to make sure I could be in all day.

Rang up Hattons and explained the situation and they agreed to recall the parcel and ship a replacement out using an alternative courier which found my address no problem. I felt this was a satisfactory solution.

I may also add that contacting DPD is an absolute nightmare as they don't have a telephone number for their depots/drivers so it is up to Hattons to get in contact with them.

I had to contact DPD when they had tried to deliver a chair to the wrong street. I found the phone number of their local, Eastbourne, depot very easily. I rang and the chair arrived within a couple of hours. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dpd+eastbourne+depot&oq=dpd+eastbourne&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.7265j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 3

The post is lacking any specifics with respect to dates. They wouldn't be able to tell who you are from the post either but I will speak to them tomorrow to see if they can give more info.

I do think you're a bit unfair to Hatton's to jump on here and malign them when the cause is out of their direct control.

Don’t think I “maligned” them but I thought forums were here to share experiences and don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask others if they had similar problems. Hattons know that the parcel is lost in the DPD system from their own tracking so I don’t think It’s unreasonable to ask Hattons to resend the order and then when the original parcel is found restock it. Especially as I had planned to do some modelling in my time of work and will miss the window so to speak.

Calm down dear boy.

You will get the goods or your money back.

Just that it does take a while for things to happen.

I see that you are a fairly new member of this forum.

If you want to be taken seriously I would suggest that you post under the shop section rather than the product section and give some reasonable information in respect of your order.

As they have a representative on here would it not be better to contact that representative by PM ?

If you have exhausted all possibilities in discussion with the sales staff in the shop that is.

Or do you just want to moan?

20 days seems fair and reasonable to me.

Bernard

• Like 2