Servicing an old Triang chassis assembly

Javier L

So im trying to service an old triang loco that ive recently found at an antique store. From what I can tell its in pretty decent shape, though it seems the pickups and tyre treads could use some work. I figured the axel boxes needed a dab of lubricant so ive already gone and done that, still to no avail. Im pretty sure the problem now is the brass pickups and perhaps the tyres, though im not sure. If anyone can help me with this id much appreciate it. Ill post photos below for so you know whats up.

Thanks, Javier

post-32198-0-78201100-1524411920_thumb.jpeg

post-32198-0-15780900-1524411935_thumb.jpeg

post-32198-0-38844100-1524411963_thumb.jpeg

post-32198-0-43223000-1524411984_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the right service sheet.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=4

I think that's the Service Sheet for Nellie/Polly/Connie and their later incarnations.

The model in the OP isn't one I've seen many of but IIRC there was also a clockwork version of it. EDIT: R660/A in mid-blue, unlettered.

From the style of motor fitted, it also looks somewhat later than Nellie etc. 

John

EDIT: The electric version seems to be rather elusive but Google turned up one in black numbered 254 and quoting catalogue number R254 which might help.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Further surfing revealed numerous pics of R254 showing it had outside cylinders/rods similar to Smoky Joe, also nickel-plated tyres in line with its stated vintage of mid-1970s.

Yours presents a bit of a conundrum as the style of motor suggests it is of a similar age (or newer) but the non-tyred wheels suggest it is considerably older - maybe it has been messed with by a previous owner?

EDIT: I've managed to establish that yours is R852T but after that I ran into a wet patch of nothingness. :jester:

Not sure a service sheet would be much help, but the current one for "0-4-0 Locomotives - HP motor" is probably as close as you'll get.

Have you tried testing the motor out of the chassis to make sure it actually works?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Looks a bit of an oddity, crownwheel and pinion drive very cheaply made, plastic axles and 1960s style steel tyred non insluated wheels. I have never seen one like it but I have a crownwheel axle I thought came from a battle space vehicle.

I would guess it came with a battery set as top speed would be ridiculous on normal 12/20 volts.  

I would be very careful with oil, the contemporary Hymeks and A1A A1A locos suffered from disintegrating brush holders when doused with 3 in 1.

I don't think it was intended to last much beyond 12th night after being given as a Christmas present so well done for preserving it

I think it might be from a "Go Electric" set. I had several at one stage as the basis of a stillborn 0-16.5 project. The cheap can motor looks very familiar. If it's the case, it's designed for 6V operation as the set came with a terrible battery controller that held, IIRC, four C-cells.

Further surfing revealed numerous pics of R254 showing it had outside cylinders/rods similar to Smoky Joe, also nickel-plated tyres in line with its stated vintage of mid-1970s.

Yours presents a bit of a conundrum as the style of motor suggests it is of a similar age (or newer) but the non-tyred wheels suggest it is considerably older - maybe it has been messed with by a previous owner?

EDIT: I've managed to establish that yours is R852T but after that I ran into a wet patch of nothingness. :jester:

Not sure a service sheet would be much help, but the current one for "0-4-0 Locomotives - HP motor" is probably as close as you'll get.

Have you tried testing the motor out of the chassis to make sure it actually works?

John

So far ive tested it very little, have tried several times gently sliding it on track just to establish if any connection is going through, though it only budges ever so slightly. I dont want to take it apart too much as its made of this bitterly cheap plastic. Ive already had to glue a cylinder back on the front. It definitely needs a new motor, though finding one for hobby is a bit tricky in the US, no Mashima or Alan Gibson here. If anyone knows a supplier id be happy to take a peek at what they got.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but David is right. Whats worse is how loose the tyres are on the wheels. Theyre hollow on the inside, so my guess is its machine pressed nickel? Im not very familiar with these vintage sets.

Javier

Edited by Javier L

• RMweb Premium

Looks a bit of an oddity, crownwheel and pinion drive very cheaply made, plastic axles and 1960s style steel tyred non insluated wheels. I have never seen one like it but I have a crownwheel axle I thought came from a battle space vehicle.

I would guess it came with a battery set as top speed would be ridiculous on normal 12/20 volts.  

I would be very careful with oil, the contemporary Hymeks and A1A A1A locos suffered from disintegrating brush holders when doused with 3 in 1.

I don't think it was intended to last much beyond 12th night after being given as a Christmas present so well done for preserving it

But take a look at this page, right down the bottom.

https://tri-ang.weebly.com/blog

and

https://tri-ang.weebly.com/att-tri-ang-locomotives.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Javier's loco appears to be one of those made for the US market, as it doesn't have the tension lock couplings fitted to what I assume to be the UK version.

The drive-train seems to owe more to Scalextric technology than to conventional Tri-ang Hornby trains. If these locos were intended for 6v battery operation but a previous owner has run this one for any length of time on 12v, I doubt the motor will be up to much

I have also come across pics of another version (UK spec) with tank-side lining and numbered 6042.

It's Hornby, Jim, but not as we know it........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

But take a look at this page, right down the bottom.

https://tri-ang.weebly.com/blog

and

https://tri-ang.weebly.com/att-tri-ang-locomotives.html

Ah yes, now I do believe it to be a creature of Precision models, as the cars from that set photo were also there. They were however broken up quite a bit which is why I didnt go for them.

So far ive tested it very little, have tried several times gently sliding it on track just to establish if any connection is going through, though it only budges ever so slightly. I dont want to take it apart too much as its made of this bitterly cheap plastic. Ive already had to glue a cylinder back on the front. It definitely needs a new motor, though finding one for hobby is a bit tricky in the US, no Mashima or Alan Gibson here. If anyone knows a supplier id be happy to take a peek at what they got.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but David is right. Whats worse is how loose the tyres are on the wheels. Theyre hollow on the inside, so my guess is its machine pressed nickel? Im not very familiar with these vintage sets.

Javier

The best way to see if the motor is working is to put wires directly on to the motor contacts, bypassing the motor and pickups, or you could put the wires on the pickups. If the motor works you then know the wheels are too dirty to conduct power to the pickups

The best way to see if the motor is working is to put wires directly on to the motor contacts, bypassing the motor and pickups, or you could put the wires on the pickups. If the motor works you then know the wheels are too dirty to conduct power to the pickups

Unfortunately the best I can do at the moment. Have tested on the contacts and it and its most likely definitely the motor. Dont very well know the biology of a motor, but what appears to be one of the magnets inside it is disloged. As I have no means of magnitising it ill have to replace it.

post-32198-0-53099900-1524698680_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Javier L