MRJ 263

Wibble

• RMweb Premium

Been in Tywyn for the weekend and thought I’d have to wait til this week to pick up a copy. However, as I was passing the newsagents on Tywyn High St yesterday I called in to find they now have a good range of railway mags including the new MRJ. .....

The Towyn newsagents has always had a good railway section under Wendy's ownership. One of the new owners of the shop is a railway enthusiast and I've noticed a few extra titles appearing, it looks like my monthly reading matter is safe in their hands.

• Like 1

The Towyn newsagents has always had a good railway section under Wendy's ownership. One of the new owners of the shop is a railway enthusiast and I've noticed a few extra titles appearing, it looks like my monthly reading matter is safe in their hands.

Agreed! I’ve picked up Railway Mag and Railway Modeller in there when it was Wendy’s but hadn’t come across MRJ in there before. Think your monthly reading matter is very safe with them and I’ll be looking to see when my visits coincide with publication dates and picking up my mags from them when I can.

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

TBH, I can't see why some people gets their knickers in a twist over the arrival or otherwise of the magazine, (yes, I know some of the banter is lighthearted0, other than the aforementioned exhibition adverts, (and they are ones which everybody who is of the MRJ mindset will already be aware of), it's not like there is any date sensitive material in it. For a magazine of such stature and without any direct competition I'm just happy it exists.

Mike.

Awaiting 263 sometime next week if Correos get el dedo out.

All is well!

Arrived yesterday, note in post box, collected from town hall this morning.

A quick skim through, up to the usual standard and a rather excellent diesel article, heaven.

Mike.

The London Road article clears up my confusion about the layout. I can remember seeing it in the late eighties (mainly the beautiful LNWR coaches that stick in my mind) so I i was quite surprised when I saw Jol posting here, I couldn’t work out if it was a new LNWR layout with the same name as it looked kinda as I remembered it but also different.

• Like 1

I know that the LNWR liked to call itself the Premier Line, but I hadn't realised how far ahead of the competition they were. Apparently "The corridor carriage is a 50ft Corridor Composite of the arc-roof types which were built in large numbers in the last years of the 18th century."

They must have had a team of powerful horses to pull one of those!

• Like 3

I know that the LNWR liked to call itself the Premier Line, but I hadn't realised how far ahead of the competition they were. Apparently "The corridor carriage is a 50ft Corridor Composite of the arc-roof types which were built in large numbers in the last years of the 18th century."

Shurely shome mishtake?

Nick,

at my age I hope I can be excused the odd mistake.

Of course, being the Premier Line, the LNWR would have had the best horses.

Jol

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I saw London Road at a show a while ago one thing I found really useful - though often they are a waste of effort - was the display saying what the trains were and what they were doing. It really helped to understand the operating.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having read the mag a bit more thoroughly, I'm appalled at the slipping of standards of the proof reading, or lack of, having come across a few errors.

The most galling one being a locomotive with a four and a half inch thick footplate representing a three eights of an inch prototype.

I don't think I'm being too picky as I consider MRJ to be the last bastion of correctitude.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

It is only too easy to miss one's own mistakes and read what you thought you had written. Recently, with a magazine I put together for a railway society I typed 1865 instead of 1965. The editorial committee and the author all had proofs but none of us noticed. Fortunately, my wife proof reads everything for me. She spotted it. I find it essential to have someone independent to proof read everything. In fact in the HMRS it is a rule.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 1

When 50+ years ago I worked for dear old Ford Motor Company and we had a 10 year product review with Henry Ford II the next morning, I would proof read every page backwards against the hand written copy given to the typists.  I wasn't bothered about the sense but I did pick up the mis-spellings!

Stan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It so easy to make this mistake. I recently just caught myself claiming that I joined the Richard III Society in 1483! I bet there isn't one among us who hasn't boo-booed with dates at some point. (That's what editors and proof-readers are for, but they are a dying breed.)

As this thread has got on to the subject of proof reading errors and mistakes, has anyone else noticed the discrepancy between the model of the Dean Goods loco and the prototype it is based on ?  That is, the model has the lower panel of cladding on the firebox overlapping the front cladding of same, whereas the prototype photo clearly shows the lower panel tucks under the front.  To my mind that is more noticeable a discrepancy from the prototype than the vagaries of the boiler dome that the builder took such trouble over ! 

(It would have been nice to see some photos of the lathe and machining work undertaken to produce the boiler dome, as I did not quite understand the technique used.)

That said, I know my modelling skills are many leagues behind that of the author's !!

As this thread has got on to the subject of proof reading errors and mistakes, has anyone else noticed the discrepancy between the model of the Dean Goods loco and the prototype it is based on ?  That is, the model has the lower panel of cladding on the firebox overlapping the front cladding of same, whereas the prototype photo clearly shows the lower panel tucks under the front.  To my mind that is more noticeable a discrepancy from the prototype than the vagaries of the boiler dome that the builder took such trouble over !

You're right - that really is a bit jarring!

Martin

There is the story, probably apocryphal, of the Society Treasurer who announced that next year's subscription would be £XX per anum, to which one member responded that really he'd rather carry on paying through the nose as usual...

Just a heads up to say the station cafe on Princes Risborough station is now stocking MRJ. I noticed today they still have a few copies of 263 left.

As is, to my momentary astonishment this lunchtime, Waterstone's on Gower Street, London. 

Adam

• 1 month later...