Into the tunnel

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew

This is really coming along and the detailing is already looking impressive. Looking forward to the next update, but like you say there is no rush - I completely agree with taking the time to get the build and quality right.

Keep up the good work

Mark

Well I had some fun this afternoon, throwing Woodlands Scenics green scatter material around here, there and everywhere! No, actually, to be more precise, I’ve covered the embankments, also part of the area on top of the tunnel, on the right-hand side of the road. I’ve left the left-hand side free from scatter for the time being, as I want to add some scratchbuilt wooden fencing alongside the road, and feel that it would be better to fix this in place before adding more “green stuff”.

However, once that which has already been laid has dried completely (it shouldn't take too long in the current warm weather), I’ll glue in place some foliage, also from the Woodlands Scenics range, to represent weeds, bushes etc.. This will also serve another purpose, i.e. to cover one or two “bare patches” which have shown up - in all my years of modelling, certainly when it comes to scenic work, I’ve found it more or less impossible, no matter how careful or painstaking I’ve been, to cover every single square millimetre (or less) of areas needing scenic treatment with scatter material or similar!

Never mind, thankfully there are ways to overcome this, and once the “green fingered” work is completed, I’ll move onto small details such as figures, huts, etc., detailing being one of my favourite aspects of the hobby.

Heres then looking forward to some more fun and enjoyment!

post-32881-0-63531400-1526566492_thumb.jpg

post-32881-0-24783400-1526566494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew Cockburn
  • Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Andrew I really like your grass scatter it transforms your layout looking forward to seeing more.:)

I did a bit more scenic work on the model today, ie the addition of foliage, shrubs, weeds etc. using clump material, and am quite happy with the result. This weekend will see work commence on small details such as figures etc., another update then in due course.

post-32881-0-76637900-1526666487_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Andrew I like how you have used the clump foliage to achieve the desired effect of the shrubs and weeds.;)

I’ve given the grounded van body/store an “undercoat” in order to get rid of the shiny/”toylike” finish, once this is dry, I’ll probably give it a matt brown or grey top finish, followed by a bit of weathering. It is shown resting temporarily on it’s base/sleepers, these are made from strips of balsa, which will also be painted an appropriate colour.

A small substation is also starting to take shape, this is made from balsa/Metcalfe brick sheet, in the picture can be seen the basis body shape, next task will be to paint the roof and door, I may also add a gutter/drainpipe, while in common with the van body it will receive some weathering.

I also constructed some wooden fencing, in the past I’ve used the white metal variety from P & D Marsh and other similar manufacturers, but on this occasion I’ve scratchbuilt my own from card using some spare Metcalfe brick sheet. This has been scored for the longer fence sections, while separate strips have also been used to give the impression of missing planks, the fence can be seen temporarily located in it’s intended place, resting against a tin of Humbrol Matt Brown paint, once the glue has gone off, the fence will be painted appropriate colours, before being glued in place.

So not too much more left to do now, I can confidently forecast that the model will be complete by the end of this week, I’ll be back with another update in due course.

post-32881-0-80045200-1526926596_thumb.jpg

post-32881-0-49164800-1526926600_thumb.jpg

Guest Saltburn

Hi Andrew I like the theme of your cakebox challenge the detail and modelling is really good. I'm just starting out in the hobby and I'm browsing through the different cakebox challenges to give me some pointers before I embark on my first cakebox..

@ Saltburn

Thanks for the comment/feedback, good luck with your own cakebox venture/the hobby in general. Re the former, I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration on the cakebox forum, including hopefully my own latest and previous cakebox offerings!

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Andrew, looks like its all coming to fruition nicely.

Great work with the undergrowth and all the greenery, it looks very convincing.

Looking forward to your next post to see how your fence turns out.

Mark.

I’ve completed the wooden fence, with the application of various shades of matt grey paint in order to create the impression of worn/well used/rotten timber, this has now been fixed in place alongside the section of roadway, supported by small strips of balsa. Once the glue has dried, the balsa supports will be painted an “earthy” colour, then the area immediately surrounding the fence will receive the “green fingered” treatment, using flock powder and foliage.

Work is also in progress on the wooden van body and a small substation building, the former has been given a coat of brown paint, and is now awaiting some weathering. The substation has had it’s roof painted grey/it’s door green, I now need to paint the gutter/drainpipe green to match the door, before adding a bit of “wear and tear”. After work on these two structures has been completed, it only remains to add small details such as figures, barrels and just sort of general “bits and pieces” which can be found in a location such as this.

So not much more work left to do now on “into the tunnel”, and my next update will more than likely report on the finished article. Watch this space then for “the grand finale”.

post-32881-0-22703700-1527102154_thumb.jpg

post-32881-0-89517300-1527102155_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew

Cant wait for the reveal of the grand finale. This is a great CBC entry and I have enjoyed all your updates and commentary throughout.

Mark

Guest ShildonShunter

Excellent modelling Andrew the landscaping and scenery looks really great and I like what you have done with the fence. Looking forward to seeing your finished cakebox.:)

After a day or two of fine detailing/“fine tuning”, I’m pleased to present “Into the tunnel” in it’s final completed form. The photo below shows what I feel is a quite a busy,compact little scene, with a coal train (or least the rear end of one) disappearing into the tunnel, a DMU (or at least the front end of one) heading in the opposite direction, for (Sunderland?) station, while an 04 shunter propels a goods wagon into the loading dock. I’ve also tried to incorporate one or two cameo scenes, i.e. the BR workmen busy on the disused section of track, and another worker about to get into (or disembark?) from a small BR van. I also added a redundant/“cream-crackered” Berko two-aspect signal, which still, I feel, even in “none-working mode”, adds a nice little effect. All-in-all then, what I feel is quite a satisfying model, well worth the month or so’s work I’ve put into it.

As I may have said before, this was going to be my final cakebox offering, however, I’ve had a change of heart, and have decided to do a further model to make a nice round total number of six, in which case, I think I’ll also need to build a small shelf to display all my “cakes” on! Watch this space then for details/plans of what will be “cakebox mark 6” ….

post-32881-0-11152000-1527361712_thumb.jpg

post-32881-0-63767100-1527361713_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Following an earlier suggestion/comment by APOLLO, “a bit of light at the end of the tunnel”.

Also, the fence by the road was just crying out for a bit of graffiti, and as such, the local “artists” have obliged.

post-32881-0-03029400-1527361799_thumb.jpg

post-32881-0-44681200-1527361842_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Andrew fantastic modelling I love the DMU in the tunnel entrance. Great pictures of your cakebox challenge Andrew it's been really great following it progress.;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew

Well the 'grand finale' was worth the wait as it has revealed a spectacular finished CBC. Great attention to detail right down to the graffiti. That coal train really looks like its going somewhere as it disappears into the tunnel mouth.

And hats off to you sir for deciding on a sixth CBC entry. I think we are all waiting with bated breath.  :secret:  :)  

Mark