WIGAN 2018 6th & 7th October

Eaton

In 2015 I retired my layout 'Eaton Gomery' from the exhibition circuit and since then have been salvaging everything that I could reuse for the replacement layout. The result of this lengthy operation is that I have large number of surplus scratchbuilt building that will be for sale on the Club Sales Stand over the duration of the Exhibition. There include two Station Buildings, a Goods Shed, a Cattle Market with Pens, a couple of Signal Boxes and several industrial buildings. If you are interested they will be on the Sales Stand.

post-1648-0-69377100-1537975656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eaton
  • Like 3

Any further update?  I take it the car park you describe is the one shown here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wigan/@53.546641,-2.6567352,454m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b04345517a4d3:0x5702a66b03f2d953!8m2!3d53.5450645!4d-2.6325074

Presumably quickest way to access it is via Robin Park Road and Anjou Boulevard?  Have usually parked near the Athletics stadium but on basis of arriving sharp in the morning!

Regarding PARKING it is easier to confirm where there is NO free parking and that is directly outside the Sports Centre, across the road at the Arena and around the DW Stadium. This is apparently Wigan Council Policy to charge wherever possible.
However if you stand with your back to the Sports Centre and turn to your left along Loire Drive you will come to a small mini roundabout, turn left and on your right is a large car park. On match days they charge but as Wigan Athletic are away there should be no charge.
We will try and update the situation as the Exhibition draws nearer.

• Like 1

I love this show but parking close by is always a right pain as its so busy around there, especially for someone with mobility problems. The only option is to go very early and park as close as poss' and then go stand and queue for ages. I blame the Council, i always do as they have a lot to answer for around here! :jester:  

Any further update?  I take it the car park you describe is the one shown here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wigan/@53.546641,-2.6567352,454m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b04345517a4d3:0x5702a66b03f2d953!8m2!3d53.5450645!4d-2.6325074

Presumably quickest way to access it is via Robin Park Road and Anjou Boulevard?  Have usually parked near the Athletics stadium but on basis of arriving sharp in the morning!

That is the Car Park. Please check that they are not charging before you leave your car as they are a bit unpredictable with their charging policy.

Eaton, on 04 Oct 2018 - 10:29, said:

That is the Car Park. Please check that they are not charging before you leave your car as they are a bit unpredictable with their charging policy.

Will that be obvious, like a sign or someone collecting money on the way in?

Wouldn't like to get caught unawares.

can we have a clear update on the parking sit rep?   i get that wigan play away on saturday which is good as its usually rammed along that main road by 9-10am.

sounds a bit flouncy that an attendant might be on the prowl........that would ruin a good day to come back to the car to find a £40 ticket in an area that is not well signed as pay and display...... 

can we have a clear update on the parking sit rep?   i get that wigan play away on saturday which is good as its usually rammed along that main road by 9-10am.

sounds a bit flouncy that an attendant might be on the prowl........that would ruin a good day to come back to the car to find a £40 ticket in an area that is not well signed as pay and display...... 

If it is poorly signed then you usually have reasonable chance of appeal success. If you get any ticket take your own photos of the signage etc to add to the appeal.

If it is poorly signed then you usually have reasonable chance of appeal success. If you get any ticket take your own photos of the signage etc to add to the appeal.

Or just pay £4 for the day and no worry of a ticket nor the hassle of an appeal

• RMweb Premium

I’ve never had a problem parking over the years.

If you do have to pay parking fee it really is beyond the control of the exhibition.

Let’s enjoy the exhibition and stop whinging

The option is as it is go by rail and catch the courtesy bus

Eltel

The option is as it is go by rail and catch the courtesy bus

Eltel

Except Northern are striking tomorrow affecting local services - so ok if you arriving on a Virgin (ooh err missus) or a bit riskier for us locals so I am in the car.

And the car is quicker by far than a train to Warrington, a walk and a train from Bank Quay followed by the courtesy bus

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of secondhand bargains to be had - my (ex) Widnes Vine Yard stock,and other stuff, is being sold off through the club shop at the Exhibition and several other members/friends are also disposing of surplus items so lots to buy ... so come along and grab yourself that sought after item at a reasonable price - and get to see some great layouts at the same time !

• Like 2

You can still get to WNW via VT and/or TPE, depending on where you're coming from.

Hope the Northern strike doesn't affect attendance too much.

Just getting ready to go up there shortly, looking forward to it (as ever).

Although Wigan Athletic are playing away they're only just down the road at Preston ! Hopefully that won't have any adverse effect on rail travel in the area.

4-0 the pie eaters will be a bit moody on the return - best avoid Wigan North West for a bit. :D #coyw #pne

Full crowd at Wigan Athletic is when the 4 seat settee is full, which is a rare event !!!

Couldn't make it today, girls on a University visit, I''ll be there tomorrow morning - looking forward !!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wigan & Model Rail Scotland are my two fixed show visits each year with other shows slotted in depending on what's on offer. This years Wigan show was once again top drawer with some great layouts on show. Surprisingly given that I'm an OO modeller, it was the 'n' guage layouts that really caught my eye: Deansmoor with its OHLE; Titheridge Junction with its tripple headed class 37's pulling 26 ore wagons and St Ruth in 2mm finescale.

In OO, Scorbiton was running very well - loved those bridges - and for an Exiled Scot,  Strathmuir revoked memories of SPTE Orange class 101's & 107's from my youth and it was good to see Crinnan again.

All the other layouts were worthy of a look and some really good 009 stuff although I do wonder if shunting wagons and making up train consists is really suited for such a fine guage.

Parked right outside the door and for just £4, it was far better than hiking over to one of the free car parks. Can't understand why people moan so much. It's nothing compared to the NEC or some other venues.

Spent a small fortune on the DCKits stand where Charlie managed to empty my wallet as I added t my collection of RealTrack DMU's.

Finally I managed to confuse the young girl doing the catering by asking for a roll and sausage. Apparently they're called Barms in these parts. Who knew.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 1