Eccentric Crank attachment on Gibson crank pins

Jeff Smith

I had asked this question on a related thread but it was probably masked in the thread title. 

Anyway I am having trouble figuring out how to attach the eccentric cranks onto the Gibson crank pins.  I believe they are steel and do not seem to solder well.  I have tried putting a nut on tightly and then soldering the crank onto the reduced outer diameter but I think the nuts are also steel so did not have much luck - also the nut came loose.

This is the first time I have had to fit eccentric cranks - I guess easy on Romford brass crank pins.  How do others solve this problem?

I tap the return crank 14BA, and screw it onto the Gibson crankpin, and when happy with position etc, undo it a little, introduce a minute drop of Loctite, and re tighten to the desired angle.

Usually I use the Gibson brass casting for this part -  Gibson casting 4M822.

Pete, thanks, unfortunately I don't have a 14BA tab (not much chance of getting one here either) so I think I will screw on the nut and superglue to the crank pin then glue the crank to the smaller diameter of the nut.

• 2 months later...

I tap the return crank 14BA, and screw it onto the Gibson crankpin, and when happy with position etc, undo it a little, introduce a minute drop of Loctite, and re tighten to the desired angle.

Usually I use the Gibson brass casting for this part -  Gibson casting 4M822.

M1 taps from US sources on line are $30 odd. Ordered 2 from China on EBay for $1 each with $5 shipping......unbelievable!

Just a follow on.  Received a couple of cast Gibson cranks and tapped them with my super cheap eBay taps.  Seems to do the job.  Thanks for all the help - now if I can just get the rest of the motion to work.......