Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

Info from https://www.facebook.com/officialhornby/photos/a.10150197267445843.309835.53107985842/10155252984805843/?type=3&theater

What I would like but it probably won't be:

• Ffestiniog Railway Linda & Blanche with some FR carriages probably superbarns.
  • Metropolitan Railway no. 1 with carriage no. 353 and/or milk van no. 3.
  • London Brighton & South Coast Railway Gladstone and some suitable carriages.
  • South Eastern & Chatham Railways no. 737 and Pullman Carriage Topaz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hints elsewhere suggest its a Princess Royal. Apparently it was measured recently at Butterley.

I read that somewhere to, make's sense to continue retooling the older super detail loco's.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce either a retool of the A3 or the Modified (Rebuilt) Merchant Navy.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hints elsewhere suggest its a Princess Royal. Apparently it was measured recently at Butterley.

I've just started acquiring the parts to upgrade the most recent model so its almost a dead cert Hornby are saying they'll have a new one on sale by Xmas :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As May 8th is the 128th day of the year, maybe it will be reintroduction of the Lima Class 128 as a Railroad model? (given that the Heljan version occupies the other end of the market)

Did Lima ever produce a 128?

Haven't these announcements usually resulted in a model being on the market fairly quickly thereafter (I mean quickly in Hornby terms as opposed to quickly in Bachmann terms). 

In which case, when were they measuring the Princess Royal? And would this give them sufficient time to tool up a totally new model?

My guess (assuming I'm wrong and it isn't some NON-corridor GWR coaching stock) is a new range of trains aimed at youngsters to be know as Tommy the tank engine (which would bear no similarlity whatsoever to Thomas).

• RMweb Premium

Haven't these announcements usually resulted in a model being on the market fairly quickly thereafter (I mean quickly in Hornby terms as opposed to quickly in Bachmann terms). 

In which case, when were they measuring the Princess Royal? And would this give them sufficient time to tool up a totally new model?

My guess (assuming I'm wrong and it isn't some NON-corridor GWR coaching stock) is a new range of trains aimed at youngsters to be know as Tommy the tank engine (which would bear no similarlity whatsoever to Thomas).

Sammy the Shunter is resurrected......................................................or it is a merger with Bachman.

Did Lima ever produce a 128?

According to my extensive research (approx 10 seconds on Google), 'yes'. However, further in depth investigation (another 10 seconds on Google) would suggest 'no' and that this was only achieved using another dmu and a conversion kit! Oops. Thinking too laterally maybe anyway?!

Perhaps having spent years painting their GWR coaching stock in green and pretending it was Southern Maunsell stock, they have decided to reverse the process and are going to paint their new Southern restaurant car in chocolate and cream and will pass it off as a GWR one.

I think I have too much time on my hands

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chuggington is owned by Ludorum, a part of HiT entertainment.

I can expect that nothing will actually change, but with Ludorum using their own characters, effectively closing down the gap between TTTE and the real railway. I forsee that the gap will remain, as if the confusion between TTTE and the real railway continues, then there is a huge loophole that HiT can't close.

Naturally, HiT will promote Chuggington above & over TTTE, and that in itself might be a good thing. The demographic is such that children will lose interest after a certain age, and outgrow the format.

I'd guess it's down to Hornby to capitalise on this, and actively promote their own product.

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

But Ivor The Engine would be quite satisfactory with the current basic 0-4-0 chassis.

What they might should do, with all the "child friendly" stuff mentioned in ditching TTTE, is expand the Junior range.  Personally, I'd suggest they make the Junior range more sophisticated with a remote control and onboard electronic (not TTS) sound, magnetic coupling rather than the fragile plastic affair on last winters effort and simple points to allow something a bit better than a boring plastic oval.

• RMweb Premium

I had to laugh at the suggestion of Thomas The Tank Engine replacement bus service set.

They could bring back Minic, complete with Bertie Boris the double decker bus.

• Like 1