Atso-Cad Models - N Gauge V1 and V3 printed bodies now available!

Hi all,

I feel that my original N gauge L1 body (designed c. 2009-10) is looking a little dated now. Also, when I originally designed it, a suitable donor chassis was not available. Originally, it was done as a one off commission with a custom built chassis (by N-Stars of Holland) and only added to the Shapeways shop as a scratch aid following several requests.

Since then the Farish 2MT has been released with has an almost perfect coupled wheelbase (and driving wheel diameter) for Thompson's L1.

post-943-0-92753700-1524575998_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-65766400-1524576009_thumb.jpg

I've still got a way to go with the final detailing of this one. The body pictured above covers nos. 67740-67765 as built by the North British Loco Works. Ultimately I'll be doing the Darlington, Stephenson & Hawthorn and earlier North British versions as well - leaving only the prototype (no. 9000/67701) not covered.

The old version is still available from my Shapeways shop but will be withdrawn once these versions are uploaded - that might be a few months yet as I'll need to do the test build (and any revisions from that) first.

Also the second revision of the locomotive below is about to start its test build (noticed the missing snifting valve behind the chimney on the one below!).

post-943-0-82478300-1524576352_thumb.jpg

A hopper bunkered V3 to go along with the V1 above is also in the works. Both the V1 and V3 are designed to fit the Farish N class chassis (or rather will be once I've stopped making silly mistakes in the CAD - fingers crossed this time!)

Edited by Atso
  • Like 5

That looks cracking!

Would these have been seen anywhere near Glasgow?! I have a forlorn 2MT that is, otherwise, surplus to requirements......

Hi Scottystitch,

I quick flick through my copy of the RTCS 'Green Series' shows that while a batch was allocated to Eastfield (1948) but were prohibited from working on the Glasgow Low Level lines and were swapped for V1s and V3s - it doesn't state if the L1s ever actually worked in Scotland or whether the issue was picked up before delivery. Otherwise Hull seems to be the furthest north they were shedded but I'll read through the allocations section properly when I've got a bit more time free to confirm this.

• RMweb Gold

Alas, out of luck.

By the time of my layout (62-64) they were all withdrawn, and by the time of withdrawal they seem to have been concentrated around the ER, with a handful at Darlington, so not even a sneaky long-lived survivor on borrowed time at Glasgow North.

Sadly the V3s V1s were all gone by then as well, although the V3s hung on 'til 64 but the Scottish ones were gone by the end of 62. 

Possible to squeeze one in from Parkhead, but that would be acquiring an N class. One shall keep one's eyes peeled....

Edited by scottystitch

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally started the test build of the revised V1/V3 tank engine bodies.

post-943-0-37895400-1525688082_thumb.jpg

I've already found that the front frames foul the pony truck (despite careful measurements) and have filled the offending section down to get clearance. This will be altered on the CAD before I upload the revised file to Shapeways and make this available for purchase. While time consuming, I do find that test building the prints is the only way to be 100% sure that CADs do actually translate to a buildable model.

The V3 (in red), other than being washed and primed, is as it arrived from Shapeways. As the internals of both bodies are identical, it isn't as critical that I test build this one as well (although I will finish it at some point).

The L1 and County are still progressing but, after a few weeks of CAD work, it is nice to work on physical models again!

• Like 3

The V1 has been sprayed with gloss enamel varnish (no ill effects) in preparation for lining. While I'm waiting for that to harden, I've spent the morning riveted to the County CAD!

post-943-0-45471000-1525867462_thumb.jpg

The County again. Spot the difference anyone? :)

post-943-0-01578800-1525887977_thumb.jpg

Some of the additions have taken quite a bit of the day while I argued with my CAD software about how to render some of the details on the complex boiler/firebox area!

Edited by Atso

V1/V3 looking superb, great work.

So officially what chassis is required and do you have any advice on the best way to get a chassis if indeed there is a best way.

Thank you for the kind words.

The V1/V3 is designed around the Farish N class as it looks visually better than the alternatives. The L1 is designed around the Farish 2MT. This does mean that you need to move the decoder from the tender to the loco (if you want to retain DCC) but it can be done - I've even managed to solder the wires directly to the chassis using 9% phosphoric acid flux (from Eileen's Emporium and other such shops), 145 degree solder and a quick in an out with the iron (don't let the heat build up!). Sorry, more information than you asked for, I know.

Obtaining a chassis is simply a case of shopping around and a bit of luck. Previously Farish did a NQP sale on their stand at shows but this practice sadly seems to have ceased. Best I've managed an N class for is £60 (NQP) and the most I've paid is around £110. My own view is that if I want something badly enough then the cost is irrelevant (within reason obviously) but understand that not everyone agrees with that.

Thank you for the kind words.

Not a problem, I think its great what you do with your 3D stuff and would like to try one of your prints at sometime.

Obtaining a chassis is simply a case of shopping around and a bit of luck. Previously Farish did a NQP sale on their stand at shows but this practice sadly seems to have ceased. Best I've managed an N class for is £60 (NQP) and the most I've paid is around £110. My own view is that if I want something badly enough then the cost is irrelevant (within reason obviously) but understand that not everyone agrees with that.

I'd like to see if I could get one then, I'd love a V3 as they used to take my mum and dad to their works back in the day from Musselburgh up to Edinburgh before the DMUs took over. My dad has an OO V3 on his sideboard and I'd love to deliver him an N gauge one.

My trouble is I keep getting dragged into loco projects, In the last year I've done an A1, A2, A3 and A4. All when I should have been spending time on getting track down!!

• 4 weeks later...

These look the doggies balls. Really liking what I see.

Some great looking items here, will be great to see the finalized result all painted and detailed.

Thank you for the kind words. I was planning to have a go at a Southern E2 as well this year. However, somebody else has beaten me to it - and a very nice looking job it is too! :)

I've struggled with another bout of depression over the last couple of weeks. This has been really annoying as it thought I'd left those kind of feelings and thoughts behind. However the better half has been on the ball and very kind and four days in Somerset has worked wonders (although I did all the driving and am very tired tonight!).

Therefore, I've got nothing more to show regarding the current crop of in progress models, but can share a few previously completed projects...

post-943-0-20502100-1528056126_thumb.jpg

D49, 'Yorkshire' (photo, Tony Wright with thanks to the NoEL team for use of their layout). Made from a Dapol Schools with Dapol B1 tender frames and motor. Due to the need to source several donors for this loco (and quite a bit of work to get everything working), it is unlikely that I'll offer this one for general sale - only five prints exist in total.

post-943-0-63065400-1528056362_thumb.jpg

K3/2 (again thanks to Tony and the NoEL team). N class loco chassis paired with a spare Dapol V2 tender frame and chassis. This one will be put up on Shapeways in due course.

post-943-0-18911600-1528056503_thumb.jpg

K3/3 using the Farish V2 as (almost) originally designed. The chassis has been fitted with Farish B1 wheels and tender drive (requested by the owner).

post-943-0-39029800-1528056625.jpg

LNER N2 designed to fit a modified Farish 3MT. However this one has been hacked to fit a modified N Class chassis as I had one that had had the valve gear damaged. The model has been completed but I don't have a photo of it in its final guise to hand.

I hope these are of interest while the others are still in the works. :)

• Like 3

Unsure what to suggest for the depression so hopefully another can be more help here. I have suffered from it before though.

Thanks for sharing these pics. I'm very impressed by these, especially being N gauge.

The very first photograph is my favourite, yet that could be as I'm an Apple Green fan. Always liked the brighter interpretation of it over the darker one.

looking at these pictures if I didn't know they were body shells painted I d think they were RTR. Looking swell. :)

Oh yeah the E2, wonder who that could have been? :D

EDIT: You got yourself a new follower on Shapeways. :)

Edited by Knuckles

I find that depression is just something that needs to be managed. As I said, this bout has been very annoying as I thought I'd got the management of it cracked. Still seems to have been largely been put back into its box now and hopefully will stay there (for a long while at least!).

Many thanks for your kind words about my models (and the following on Shapeways!). Yorkshire in apple green is probably my favourite as well. All the models were painted using an airbrush with the lining being a mixture of transfers (mainly the boiler bands, although Yorkshire's tender makes heavy use of these) and bow pen work - the BR grey and red lining is my best achievement using this method so far.

The models were sanded using a variety of techniques to remove the traces of the printing process. I covered some of these in the May edition of BRM, having been asked to write a couple of articles. I've been playing around with 3D printing since 2007 and some of my earlier efforts can be found in the RMWeb archive - back in the days when 'White Detail' and 'WSF' were the best materials available on Shapeways. I don't have much left from back then as both my CAD abilities and the materials available have improved quite a bit over the last decade! :)

Your E2 is a lovely bit of CAD work and I'm looking forward to seeing what Gareth does with his in due course.

No problem. :)

I started using a bow pen last year and I too was very happy with it, maybe that was the wrong tense; I am happy with it.

Good bit of kit.

I'm yet to try transfer lining on the boiler bands though. 90% of the time I use either a bow pen or transfers for the straight lining. And a brush fir the curves and boiler bands. Pretty much is my standard way of going about it thus far. What puts me off trying transfers for the boiler band is if they don't cover the front and back of the band. By that I mean the depth - I imagine most transfers would just sit on top???

For smoothing I use Halfords Yellow Plastic Filler primer and sand it and even a bit of small filing for the nooks and crannies....then repeat once or twice. Last layer before first colour application usually has a blast of Tamiya fine primer. No idea if this is the best method yet it works well for me.

If the model is Fud (or Smooth Detail Plastic now) then it gets an hour soaked in white spirit. Comes out like WSF...I mean versatile Plastic. Ugh, re-namimg. What a PITA.

Edited by Knuckles

Yes, I've found that, with practice, my bow pen is a wonderful addition to my painting kit! I prefer using transfers for the boiler bands but I am yet to make my own (although some of my earliest models used painted scotch tape - didn't last though!). Having seen how Tim Watson did his scratch built 2mm scale P2, I'll be having a go using his method of spraying the outer lining colour onto some decal sheet and then adding the center line before carefully cutting the band out using a single sided razor blade. Hopefully the V1 will be the first locomotive to get this treatment but I need to get another tin of Humbrol 220 as the one I've prepared for lining is useless for air brush work.

I tend to steer clear from filler primer as I've found it can easily obscure details in N gauge. I like to use several thin coats of Halfords grey or red primer. However, I also use Games Workshop's Chaos Black as a primer. It goes on incredibly thinly and always seems to adhere very well.

Interesting to hear that you soak your models for an hour in white spirit. I use white spirit as well but have found that the FUD/FXD (why did they have to rename these!?) can react with it if left in too long. I bought a cheap ultra sonic bath and usually put prints into that for three cycles (three minutes each) before giving the model a good scrub with soapy water and letting dry.

• 2 weeks later...

The V1 test build has been completed and I'm now in the process of making some minor corrections to the CAD that have been flagged up during the build. Once this has been done, I'll get another test print to do a final check before making it available on Shapeways.

post-943-0-04446500-1529259010_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-53768100-1529259020_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-74881300-1529259042.jpg

post-943-0-98236800-1529259050.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Knuckles!

The apple green one would have to be a V3 with hopper bunker (the only example so painted). I do have a V3 body as well but that one is slated to be painted in BE mixed traffic livery as someone had made an offer for it. Besides the Apple green one falls outside of own my modelling period.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...