Blog- Stringfingerling's Blog - Off to the paint shops - a bit prematurely!

My little Kerr Stuartish 0-4-0 has now had a coat of primer, probably before it was really ready, but I couldn't hold myself back. It has enabled me to see the worst gaps and blemishes, which I'm now busily filling with Milliput. I used Halfords Etching primer and it does warn you not to use it in humid conditions; I did, and the result is a bit orange-peelish, but I'm not too concerned about that as it will get a rub down with very fine wet and dry paper before I go any further.
For those of you who looked at my last posting, I've added very large sandboxes to both sides, they are pretty huge, but they successfully hide the motor. My reasoning is that the loco is built for very steep wet gradients round the quarry it serves, and gets through a lot of sand. I've also added a balance pipe (I think that's what they're called) between the two sides of the saddle tank, and I've deepened the front buffer beam so that its lower edge matches the height of the rear one. Corris No 4 does have something a bit similar. I have added some of the metal strapping holding the cab together, using .3 x Imm brass strip from Eileen's Emporium. Bits yet to be added include couplings, guard irons, sand pipes, brake blocks and rodding, lamp irons, cab steps. crew, the big pipe that runs back horizontally from the smoke box on the Corris locos (whatever it is - maybe someone can enlighten me ?), small pipework etc etc , some rivet decals and the computer printed decals with the lining and some areas of the livery.

It's never going to bare very close inspection, but it has succeeded in capturing some of the look I wanted and it is very satisfying to operate, as it runs really well. Some of the running quality, I think, is because I have ballasted it heavily with pieces of old lead type.

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-11712-0-40084900-1524579940.jp
  • blogentry-11712-0-15476800-1524579955.jp

View the full article