The ex-MMP "Top Shed" range of steam loco kits.

Having recently seen three models from this extinct range appear on ebay, I've become interested in it.

I realise I could just write to David Parkins, but he's running a business and may not wish to devote time to what is, in effect, historical research. However, I know he occasionally posts on here, so he can add to anything that gets posted, or correct any mistakes if he so wishes.

First off, does anyone know what models were actually made available, before the range was sold?

I know of the Britannia, the 9F, and have seen a Coronation also come up for sale on ebay...I seem to remember.  Around 1990 seems to be the release date for the range. when did it get sold?

I also know that the range was, at least in part, sold to Andy Beaton who now markets the castings and some very few etchings in what is now the Ragstone range. Now having seeen and used some of those castings, all I can say is wow! To say that they were available in 1990 really makes them well before their time. As were the kits I believe.

Castings in that range also include some for a Peppercorn A1 and some for a Gresley A3, plus some for an LMS Royal Scot, although I'm unsure as to whether a parallel or taper boiler version? There are also castings for other standards.

So: questions.

Has anyone got any of the kits? Has anyone built one or more? If so, what were/are they like to build? Does anyone know what other locos were/might have been involved? And how much were the models originally? (They are now selling at around £380).

The original large locos were designed to take the Portescap RG7...what would replace that now?

And does anyone know whay the complete kits have never been available from Ragstone?

Thanks for any help/advice/history.

Jeff,

have only just seen your post, so I wasn't one of the 130 views, but I've seen it now!  I can't give you any definitive answers, but can offer one suggestion

"The original large locos were designed to take the Portescap RG7...what would replace that now?"

You could replace an RG7 with an ABC or a Premier Components helical two stage gearbox.  Typically they are fitted with Canon motors which draw a little more current than the Escap, but they are more robust, and produce much the same output.

best

Simon

I built a 9F and two Britt's from the MMP range. They also did a parallel Scot I believe. The 9F was the first steamer kit I built, nothing like straight in at the deep end! One problem with the Britt's is the rear drivers keep nice and warm in the front of the firebox. Had to grind a groove in the resin firebox for the flanges to go into.

post-6766-0-35802000-1525367597_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-00542900-1525367717_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-74601000-1525367755_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

I too have built the 9F. We'll almost. I has major issues with the coupling rods and sprung axles and resorted to a servo milled rods and fixed driving axles. Problems solved.

This has taken me something like 20 years off and on so far. Work and children seem to take up a lot of time.

Brian's photos have inspired me to finish it off. All thst is left is pickups, fit the RG7 and valve gear.

Loco body and tender all in plain black so far.

I also have an unbuilt parallel boiler Royal Scotland by MMP as well.

At the time they were excellent lots but as with many not always easy to assemble.