Hi Everyone.

Well after a spell of life getting in the way of things I have started a new layout.

It's a small loco shed, OO gauge, with a single road engine shed and a couple of sidings for stabling locomotives, water cranes and coaling stage.

The layout is 3ft x 1ft including fiddle yard, 2ft x 1ft being scenic and is really being built for my growing collection of 0-4-0 locomotives mainly from Hornby, I know some people don't like them but at a £5 - £10 a go second hand you can't really go wrong.

Here is a quick photo of progress so far:

post-9096-0-19200400-1524680163_thumb.jpg

All track is laid and points are medium radius peco, the engine shed is the Metcalfe single road one.

Lots to do.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 11

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry nice to see your back with your railway modelling and I like the name of your layout. As always Jerry a great start to a good looking layout and I will be looking forward to seeing further progress.:)

Thanks HonestTom.

I picked one up from a car boot sale for £5 last weekend, nearby new condition with just a buffer missing, then another guy was selling a big tin of spares,bits etc for £4 and it had quite a few spare buffers, detailing packs, fireman and driver packs plus loads of other stuff.

I'm always looking out for the 0-4-0's.

It's partially my wife's fault lol, she bought me two and it's grown from there.

Today I'm going to build a coal stage so the locos can fill up with coal.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

Thanks Andyram and Luke.

Anyone know how many 0-4-0's Hornby have done? I know its quite a few.

I got sidetracked today but a start has been made on the coal stage which is being built out of scrap card from the steam engine shed kit, then covered in brick or stone printed card, possibly balsa wood for the wooden bits.

Jerry.

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry I have to agree I also have a soft spot for 0-4-0 locos and mine is the Burgandy one by Hornby.:)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies.

I have thought about using a loco lift and I may do this.

I may modify some if I get two the same, I have a few detailing packs.

Well, I have been busy today but found some time to scratch build a coal stage.

Here is a couple of photos:

post-9096-0-21168400-1524774889_thumb.jpg

During building stage out of scrap card.

post-9096-0-41639500-1524774948_thumb.jpg

As it is now, pva is still drying hence why white is showing.

It still needs a bit more work but it's not to bad.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 3

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry great work on your coal stage build brilliant modelling as always mate.;)

Edited by ShildonShunter

Thanks Andyram and Luke.

Anyone know how many 0-4-0's Hornby have done? I know its quite a few.

I got sidetracked today but a start has been made on the coal stage which is being built out of scrap card from the steam engine shed kit, then covered in brick or stone printed card, possibly balsa wood for the wooden bits.

Jerry.

In terms of liveries, more than I can count. In terms of loco classes...

- GWR 101

- CR pug

- The Thomas-esque tank engine

- The GKN D class

- The “International” engine

- They released at least one version of the Triang Nellie

- Class 06

- Bagnall diesel

- Percy

- Bill/Ben

Thanks for that HonestTom and Shildon Shunter.

I'm going to try and collect as many as I can, they don't take up much space and are not bad on the wallet either lol.

Trouble is when I get a large amount I will have to build a bigger shed layout ;-)

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry1975
  • Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Jerry i really like what you have done with the coal stage and the greenery is spot on looking forward to seeing more.:)

Thanks HonestTom.

I did a bit of digging about and it seems Hornby have produced at least 105 0-4-0 locomotives, look here for a list:

http://www.hornbyguide.com/wheel_arrangement_details.asp?wheelarrangementid=7

I have a long way to go lol.

Jerry.

I have always had a soft spot for the Caledonian  tank,  the very early ones has separate hand rails which do improve the look. The running was not as good as the current production but it should be relatively simple task to swap the bodies over. From memory the separate handrails were fitted to the blue  Caledonian livery and a bright red one named Desmond, there may be others. The Desmond version makes  a striking private industrial engine .

d&h

Thanks Shildon Shunter and HonestTom for your replies.

I have a Caledonian blue loco with handrails, it's not the later one I don't think ( will post a photo later ).

Yesterday I bought the Metcalfe water tower kit and some peco water cranes so I'm in the process of building and painting them up then they will be added to the layout.

For ballast I'm thinking of using some black scatter material to represent the muck, coal etc.

I would like to use ash but don't know anyone where I could get some from.

The back of the layout I'm thinking of using retaining walls and a tunnel kit at the front, this should frame it off nicely and also double as a kind of backscene.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Thanks Shildon Shunter and HonestTom for your replies.

I have a Caledonian blue loco with handrails, it's not the later one I don't think ( will post a photo later ).

Yesterday I bought the Metcalfe water tower kit and some peco water cranes so I'm in the process of building and painting them up then they will be added to the layout.

For ballast I'm thinking of using some black scatter material to represent the muck, coal etc.

I would like to use ash but don't know anyone where I could get some from.

The back of the layout I'm thinking of using retaining walls and a tunnel kit at the front, this should frame it off nicely and also double as a kind of backscene.

More soon.

Jerry.

For the ash on Cronton Colliery sheds I just crushed barbecue ash and applied it like ballast. Worked quite well but it needs to be crushed.

Thanks Luke for that, I may give that a try.

Hi Everyone.

Well I bought another 0-4-0 today for £10 nearly new at our local car boot sale, its the midland railway burgundy one and it runs great.

Layout wise I have finished building the water tower and I have now placed it on the layout.

I don't stick any of the buildings down until I have built them all and placed them on the layout so I can change positions of them until I'm happy it looks right.

Here is a photo of how it looks so far:

post-9096-0-85989800-1525027753_thumb.jpg

And one of my Caledonian railway loco:

post-9096-0-31104500-1525027818_thumb.jpg

Still quite a bit to do, more soon.

Jerry.

• Like 4