Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry these are lovely little locos and a great buy at the car boot sale the layout is coming along nicely.:)

• Like 1

I went to Filey today and it was very hard to resist buying another 0-4-0 or two.

I'm holding out until the Scarborough model show this weekend.

I have finished building the sandhouse and just deciding on placements of buildings.

I'm going build a retaining wall all around next as I think this will frame it nicely.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

Well after a spell of life getting in the way of things I have started a new layout.

It's a small loco shed, OO gauge, with a single road engine shed and a couple of sidings for stabling locomotives, water cranes and coaling stage.

The layout is 3ft x 1ft including fiddle yard, 2ft x 1ft being scenic and is really being built for my growing collection of 0-4-0 locomotives mainly from Hornby, I know some people don't like them but at a £5 - £10 a go second hand you can't really go wrong.

Here is a quick photo of progress so far:

attachicon.gifWP_20180425_18_56_48_Pro.jpg

All track is laid and points are medium radius peco, the engine shed is the Metcalfe single road one.

Lots to do.

More soon.

Jerry.

It would seem that the performance of these locos varies - I had one once that was an excellent runner but I have heard others report that they can be poor.

The only thing that jars on them visually is the bright wheels and valve gear - it's possibly worth trying to tone them down (obviously not the running surfaces!)

Stu

Hi Stu.

Thanks for your reply, I agree that some are great, others are not so, in that the newer ones run quite good, smooth and the earlier ones can be fast running.

The bright colours are part of the charm, and my wife thinks they are cute so I can get away with it lol.

As I have a growing collection of them, I thought an engine shed layout was a great way to run and display them.

Jerry.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

I agree it's a shame N gauge doesn't have have similar, I have detailing bits I got cheap for them, brass handrails, nice chimney tops etc.

I haven't forgot the 0-4-0 diesels either, I feel a new layout after this one maybe built.

I like them as I find them fun to collect and cheap.

Jerry.

Thanks Booking Hall.

I'm going to make the retaining wall over the weekend and I'm going to the Scarborough model railway show tomorrow so I may be able to get a few bits there.

Jerry.

Hi Luke.

The show was good with some goods layouts, there was only one trade stand which was the only thing that let it down a bit.

No bargains though as they weren't selling what I wanted.

Jerry.

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry pleased the show was good just a shame there was not many trade stands.:)

Hi Everyone.

I haven't done any work on the layout, things keep getting in the way.

I'm going to get the Metcalfe retaining wall kit when I can get to the model shop and some cinder/ash ballast.

Jerry.

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry there is no rush mate it's all about having fun building ones layout a little bit at a time. Will look forward to seeing your next update.;)

It certainly is about having fun, I try not to take my modelling to seriously and just model to the best of my abilities, life gets in the way sometimes but I do love it when I get a chance to build something.

Jerry.

• Like 1