The Coal Drop

MAP66

• RMweb Premium

So here's my entry into the CBC, a coal drop. I doubt if anything ever existed resembling what I have come up with, but I'm doing it for fun and to get back into modelling again after nearly 40 years away from the hobby.

It's based on a make it up as you go along principle, hence no drawing to show I'm afraid, however I've attached a couple of progress photos to give you all an idea of what the finished article might look like.

The base is from Model Scenery Supplies and has the exact dimensions for the rules of the challenge.Track is Peco code 75 and the rails are kept in place over the coal drop by kit bashing a couple of sections of a Peco inspection pit.

I intend to set the era as the 1930's and have a horse drawn coal cart in the yard. I have used the Metcalfe stables as a low relief kit. There is also a coal office to add (somewhere).

There's still lots to do and I will try and keep the progress photos coming.

Any comments, ideas, criticisms all most welcome.

Thanks MAP66

post-32869-0-66343500-1524768862_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-89798300-1524768890_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-95062500-1524768818_thumb.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 10

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi MAP66 a very nice CBC your railway modelling looks really great looking forward to seeing some more.:)

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good so far and I like the brickwork and the detail on the shed. No criticisms of the actual model but do you perhaps want a more specific thread title?

Thanks for viewing and for the suggestion.

Is there any way that I can change the name of this thread (am new to Forums!) Or should I just try to delete this one and start again?

Looks good so far, it will be interesting to see it's subsequent progress. Those Peco inspection pits are quite versatile!

However, I'd go along with 009 micro modeller's view re a specific title for the model, and for a rather witty suggestion or two, how about "Coaley Lane Yard/Drops", or "dropping" by for a sack or two?

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

• RMweb Premium

………Is there any way that I can change the name of this thread (am new to Forums!) Or should I just try to delete this one and start again?

If you press the little grey ‘EDIT’ next to the Quote buttons on your opening post, you will be able to edit the title as well.

Regards

Ps: welcome to the forum!

Edited by Banger Blue

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good so far and I like the brickwork and the detail on the shed. No criticisms of the actual model but do you perhaps want a more specific thread title?

Thanks for your comments on the modelling. As you can see I have now found out how to change the thread title. Learning all the time :-) 

• RMweb Premium

If you press the little grey ‘EDIT’ next to the Quote buttons on your opening post, you will be able to edit the title as well.

Regards

Ps: welcome to the forum!

Cheers Banger Blue followed what you said and it done the trick.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I spent a couple of hours at he coal drop yesterday evening laying some cobbles which I ran out of and applying some general grot and grime in an attempt to try and introduce a bit of atmosphere into the scene.

Some weeds have also taken hold along the back fence, I suspect these will soon be accompanied by a load of brambles as soon as I am happy with my attempts to model some.

For those of you who are interested the cobbles in the main yard are from the Footpath Range by Juweela. The stone setts running along the front of the stables are from the Wills range. I have used some Das air clay to form the ground where the cobbles end. I purposefully moulded the ground unevenly so that I could add a few filthy looking puddles in the recesses (more work to do here as I'm not happy as how it looks at the moment.

Still to happen; Steps to lead from the yard up to the raised track, buffer stop, coal office, horse and cart, yardmen shoveling coal, standpipe and horse trough, roof for the stables etc, etc, etc. only hope I get it finished in time!!!

Hope you enjoy the two new progress photos.

MAP66

post-32869-0-42661500-1525208875_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-37918300-1525208967_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-42661500-1525208875_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-37918300-1525208967_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi looking really good great modelling and the grim and grot is spot on.:)

@ 009 micro modeller

I'm not sure what MAP66 used for those puddles on The Coal Drops, but for a couple of puddles on my "Down the old shed" diorama, I used Deluxe Materials scenic water, which is supplied in a container in "jelly-like" format. This is placed in another suitable container (of hot water) until it becomes "molten" in form, and is then poured onto the layout, diorama etc. to form water features such as pools, puddles, etc.

I seem to recall trying superglue to represent puddles quite a few years back, but the result was not very satisfactory!

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. I've always used Woodland Scenics Realistic Water which is supplied as a liquid and poured in thin layers to build up the water. Haven't tried puddles though.

Hello 009 micro modeller

Thanks for asking about the puddles. I also used 'Woodland Scenics Realistic Water'. First time I have used it for puddles, so it's an experiment for me and I am applying in thin layers using a small paint brush. 

Hopefully the end result will resemble puddles of water and slurry from the stables (Yuk).

• RMweb Premium

Just the one update photo tonight folks. The stables has finally had a rickety corrugated roof put on and I will get around to weathering this at some point.

That open stable door is awaiting a horses head to poke out from within, perhaps with a nose bag. Not sure about the back scene, but certainly looks better than me attempting to paint one.

The buffer stop will be at the left hand end of the track, for the right hand side where the track enters the scene - well that requires further head scratching in the illusion dept.

All the best, enjoy the weather and the Bank Holiday weekend.

MAP66

post-32869-0-68699700-1525465789_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Guest ShildonShunter

Really nice work on the stable area the tin roof looks really good as well as the yard area. Looking forward to seeing more.:)

• RMweb Premium

Really nice work on the stable area the tin roof looks really good as well as the yard area. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Thanks Kevin

It's great to get such positive comments throughout this build. Makes me want to continue modelling. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks

I have managed to complete a few more tasks on my CBC, buffer stop installed and the stable roof has been weathered plus a few other things.

I have now almost completed the Metcalfe coal office kit and you can see where I will locate this in the yard from the attached photo. I am adding interior detail within the office which will include a desk and chair, fire place with flickering LED and light.

You can see the light from the coal office in the photo to give you an idea, but this is too bright at the moment and I'm thinking about adding a variable resistor to dull the light to achieve an effect which I'm happy with.

In the other photo you can see me, or at least a 'ModelU' figure of me, I had the opportunity to get myself scanned as a fireman and 3D printed at the London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace. I thoroughly recommend the experience. 

As you can imagine I was expecting to plonk my miniature self on the footplate of a loco at some point but as often happens in life I've ended up in a yard shoveling the brown stuff!

Hope you enjoy the photos.

MAP66

post-32869-0-53831100-1525979426_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-49917400-1525979923_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I really like this type of model, a bit of height, a bit of grot and some human interest, pity the "ModelU" people are not in Oz. What is going in the left hand corner under the buffer stop?  

• RMweb Premium

I really like this type of model, a bit of height, a bit of grot and some human interest, pity the "ModelU" people are not in Oz. What is going in the left hand corner under the buffer stop?  

Thanks Geoff, its great to get comments from a fellow modeller over in Oz. I guess you're able to order the scale figures from ModelU, just the personal 3D scanning service which is not available in Oz?

Regarding the space under the buffer stop, it is going to be a yard store. Probably with a couple of large doors on the front. However I have still not made a final decision on this so watch this space as it may change.