The Coal Drop

MAP66

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Geoff, its great to get comments from a fellow modeller over in Oz. I guess you're able to order the scale figures from ModelU, just the personal 3D scanning service which is not available in Oz?

Regarding the space under the buffer stop, it is going to be a yard store. Probably with a couple of large doors on the front. However I have still not made a final decision on this so watch this space as it may change.

Well after much deliberation, I made a decision - It's a store, apologies for the anti-climax but it does have shelving inside and I will fill it with yard junk to try and a make another cameo scene within a scene.

I've attached a couple more photos, you can't actually see inside the store as the camera flash wasn't working but when finished both doors will be open and there will be a dim light in there to illuminate the detail, that's the plan at the moment anyway.

post-32869-0-09286200-1526508709_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-86889900-1526508826_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks, the stables has taken up a new resident 'Ned' he doesn't look too bad considering he only has two legs (that's low relief for you) and he's tucking into a bag of oats.

post-32869-0-60877500-1526590618_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Re "Ned" enjoying a well-earned snack, appearances can certainly be deceptive! But such are the joys and advantages of low-relief, I also like the rusted corrugated roof effect & the yard surface texture, and all-in-all, this is a nice little scene, which helps to add to the overall effect/atmosphere of the model.

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Ned looks quite at home in his stables it always nice to see animals on a layout.;)

• RMweb Premium

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments.

I have now managed to construct some steps up to the track level from the yard. These were constructed from the Plastruct range. I still need to put in some supports for the steps, courtesy of the Plastruct range again.

The doors to the store are made from card and the hasp which you can just about see in the attached photo is a small off cut of plasticard with 5a fuse wire for the hasp. I bent the loop of the wire around the tip of a pin. I was going to attempt to make a padlock but my eyes were already at the point of falling out of my head at the concentration required, so had to give up on that one. I did however manage to scratch build a yard broom, which was very fiddly for my sausage fingers, again from fuse wire and a bit of plastic sprue.

Any way photo attached. Next stage will be to attempt the interior of the coal office and I am also awaiting delivery of the coal dray from Dart Castings. I think when that's placed on the scene it will start to bring everything together.

MAP66

post-32869-0-08845600-1526932854_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Saltburn

Hi MAP66 you have done a really great job modelling your cakebox the attention to details and weathering are really nicely done and I like the steps up to the track above..

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update tonight folks.

The coal dray I ordered from Dart Castings arrived yesterday, along with some other goodies. I've almost finished the kit which is white metal and couldn't resist placing it on the scene to how it would look, I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

There will be a couple of coal men loading the dray and I need to obtain some decals as the kit does not come with any (I thought it did). I think it looks better without a horse attached, anyway Ned is in the stable.

Please let me know what you think and if anyone knows where I can get hold of some suitable decals for a coal dray then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

post-32869-0-89363800-1527105708_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-20642600-1527105826_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Mark

The coal dray looks effective/adds a nice touch, especially as this would appear to be a seldom-seen model on layouts. Re the issue of suitable decals for the coal dray,I googled this but was unable to find any supplier(s). Guess there may be someone, somewhere who could possibly help, but if not, maybe you could try hand-painting the name etc., even if this did prove to be a bit tricky? Look forward to seeing the finished article, ie with the addition of a few more details, this is one of my favourite aspects of railway modelling, ie detailing, and is what I'm currently busy with on "into the tunnel", which should be finished shortly.

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark

The coal dray looks effective/adds a nice touch, especially as this would appear to be a seldom-seen model on layouts. Re the issue of suitable decals for the coal dray,I googled this but was unable to find any supplier(s). Guess there may be someone, somewhere who could possibly help, but if not, maybe you could try hand-painting the name etc., even if this did prove to be a bit tricky? Look forward to seeing the finished article, ie with the addition of a few more details, this is one of my favourite aspects of railway modelling, ie detailing, and is what I'm currently busy with on "into the tunnel", which should be finished shortly.

Thanks Andrew, I might try hand painting if I have no luck finding decals. I think my CBC is still a couple of weeks away from completion and I share your passion for detailing and filling the scene. It's amazing how long it can take and how much you can fit into such a small diorama.

• RMweb Premium

Another quick update tonight, I have started to detail the interior of the coal office as you can see in the attached photos. I wired the flickering LED in the fire place up to a 9V battery to show the fire effect.

The books on the shelf and desk are card coloured with a felt tip pen. The fire place and desk are from separate card kits available from Model Scenery Supplies. I need to scratch build a couple of chairs and that should be it for the interior.

post-32869-0-66921400-1527193791_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-16826200-1527193811_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-68715000-1527193833_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A really nice job on the coal office and the fire looks really inviting cosy and warm.. :)

Thanks for your kind comments Class73, to tell you the truth the fire came out better than I expected. I may now need to place a rug in front of it and see if I can get a sprawled out dog to lay in front of the fire  :)

• RMweb Premium

Try this link Modelscene 5102 Dogs there are a couple of dogs laid down. :)

Thanks again, I will take a look and next post there may well be a dog in the coal office.

Guest ShildonShunter

Fantastic modelling i really like the steps up to the trackside and the warmth glow of the fire in the office super work.:)

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make much progress this BH weekend, but I did manage to find some time experimenting with replicating lichen and moss for the coal office roof.

I used what I can only describe as tea leaf dust (the fine powder you get at the bottom of a box of teabags). I have been saving it up for a while as I knew it would have many uses in railway modelling. A couple of fine spots of rocket card glue onto the tiled roof and then sprinkle the tea dust over and shake off the excess, leave to dry and then paint. You can see in the photo that its a little over-scale but I was a little over enthusiastic with the glue blobs. I still like the result though.

I also managed to place a fireside rug in the coal office and the dog is in the post, arriving soon hopefully.

My next challenge is to make a tree which will be placed at the corner of the yard as a scenic break to help disguise the exit of the track from the scene.

So to make up for the lack of progress, 4 photos for you - hope you enjoy.

MAP66

post-32869-0-23310600-1527548893_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-27797500-1527548940_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-88374000-1527549042_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-96811500-1527549150_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks,

I started making my first ever tree today and all I can say is I'm glad there is only the one tree required for my CBC. I'm using the wire armature method which I have then covered in ready mixed fix and grout from Wickes simply because I had some left over from tiling the bathroom. I mixed it with some PVA glue to help it stick to the wire. As I type this I am in between gluing sprigs of sea foam to ends of branches to try and fill out the tree as much as possible (very time consuming). Hope its worth the effort in the end.

The tree is a scale 35 feet tall and if it goes to plan will be created and sited to help block and disguise the line of sight of the track exit when viewing from the front. I have attached a couple of photos to show where it will be sited and showing the first of the sprigs of sea foam in place. This is just to show what I have in mind, however I need to work more on sculpting the trunk and branches first and then getting the paint on before attaching any more sea foam as its quite delicate. finally all the ends will be sprayed with glue and various scatters applied. 

Depending on how it looks at the end of all that will allow me to decide what species of tree it is meant to be  :)

MAP66

post-32869-0-41634000-1527709926_thumb.jpg

post-32869-0-97644300-1527709940_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest ShildonShunter

That is a great looking tree for your first attempt looking forward to seeing more.:)

Love "Ned" He looks cosy in his stall and the coal wagon is great.

Your tree is coming along well, takes time to get the wire into the right shape, I mixed poster paint in with the PVA and added to grout so the colour is through the tree, if a bit breaks of it is not so noticeable then, when you add the foliage, Firm Hold Hairspray (my wife's as I don't have that much hair) works as a good glue, spray, sprinkle, spray, sprinkle, admire, maybe more spray and sprinkle to finish.

The lichen on the office roof was a good idea, will have to start saving the dust from the tea bag box now.

Evening folks,

I started making my first ever tree today and all I can say is I'm glad there is only the one tree required for my CBC. I'm using the wire armature method which I have then covered in ready mixed fix and grout from Wickes simply because I had some left over from tiling the bathroom. I mixed it with some PVA glue to help it stick to the wire. As I type this I am in between gluing sprigs of sea foam to ends of branches to try and fill out the tree as much as possible (very time consuming). Hope its worth the effort in the end.

The tree is a scale 35 feet tall and if it goes to plan will be created and sited to help block and disguise the line of sight of the track exit when viewing from the front. I have attached a couple of photos to show where it will be sited and showing the first of the sprigs of sea foam in place. This is just to show what I have in mind, however I need to work more on sculpting the trunk and branches first and then getting the paint on before attaching any more sea foam as its quite delicate. finally all the ends will be sprayed with glue and various scatters applied. 

Depending on how it looks at the end of all that will allow me to decide what species of tree it is meant to be  :)

MAP66

Good modelling - I still need to practice more with trees! Been taking reference photos at different times of the year.

Marlyn

• RMweb Premium

Love "Ned" He looks cosy in his stall and the coal wagon is great.

Your tree is coming along well, takes time to get the wire into the right shape, I mixed poster paint in with the PVA and added to grout so the colour is through the tree, if a bit breaks of it is not so noticeable then, when you add the foliage, Firm Hold Hairspray (my wife's as I don't have that much hair) works as a good glue, spray, sprinkle, spray, sprinkle, admire, maybe more spray and sprinkle to finish.

The lichen on the office roof was a good idea, will have to start saving the dust from the tea bag box now.

Any excuse to drink more tea, isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book. Thanks for you're kind comments about my tree, I've just seen your recent post and yours is coming along nicely too.

I have some spray glue used for static grass, so I will trial that and the wife's hairspray (she doesn't know yet) on some odd bits of sea foam and see which works out best before the tree gets the treatment.

• RMweb Premium

Good modelling - I still need to practice more with trees! Been taking reference photos at different times of the year.

Marlyn

Thanks Martyn, my scene will be mid to late summer as I need maximum foliage to help mask the line of sight. This is from my own mind, I haven't used any reference material which I expect is completely the wrong way to model trees, but that's just me.

Only time will tell if I manage to pull it off.