Seething Lane

Guest teacupteacup

Guest teacupteacup

Hi All

Seething Lane is the name of my latest layout, set in the late 80's Speedlink Era, in no particular area

The layout represents part of an industrial estate.  The name comes from the Old English word for Chaff, indeed there is a Seething Lane in London, which in days gone by, was where grain was threshed.

The trackplan is an extended Inglenook design running from a 2-road sector plate.  It'll be worked as BR loco bringing stock in, with the industrial estates own locomotives handling the shunting.  Traffic is general merchandise, steel and minerals.

The trackwork will be Peco code 75, laid straight onto a foamboard topped ply trackbed, with the baseboards being 9mm ply 'sandwich' style construction.  Train control is by NCE PowerCab DCC control providing track power. Points are controlled in the time honoured analogue way, but motorisation is by servos via a Megapoints control board.  Stock is a mixture of ready to run and kit built items, fitted with Kadee couplings, uncoupling undertaken by neodymium permanent magnets.  Overall size is 7ft by 20in with the sector plate overhanging by 15 inch or so

The majority of structures will have to be scratchbuilt using foamboard or ply formers, covered in embossed plasticard, with some off the shelf detailing parts.  

Folk who have view this topic before may have noticed a few changes from the original.  In fact, its a completely new trackplan.   I had 2 false starts with the boards - the frames (made from 2x1 timber) twisted both times, so a decision was taken to try out the ply sandwich style.  This is more time consuming but results in a very stable board.  Downside is that its heavier than traditional construction, but its a worthwhile trade-off

More updates to follow...

Edited by teacupteacup

• 2 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

Here is the trackplan for Seething Lane

post-33604-0-66448600-1539991666_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard/stick is the top left.  Bottom left is a headshunt with a siding to some sort of industry - which hides the fiddle yard

On the right hand side, the bottom siding serves an industry, the one above is the main arrival/departure road.  The siding above is a general siding, the one above that serves an industry and finally the top siding is a mineral siding which disappears behind buildings.

Its all set on a raised trackbed, crossing a canal which will be under the double-slip

Below is one of the boards.  The individual frame pieces havent been screwed together yet, just placed to show what it'll look like.

post-33604-0-04528300-1539991758_thumb.jpg

More updates as things progress

Edited by teacupteacup

• 2 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

Looking interesting! At least you will not have to put expansion gaps in with this hot weather! (As long as you do not have air con in your railway room!)

Since the above post was made, the original idea changed!

Guest teacupteacup

I've finally finished building the baseboard frames, which, surprisingly are very square and line up almost perfectly!

I'll need to open up the dowel alignment holes a little as they are very tight but other than that Im very pleased.  Now on the the legs!

post-33604-0-05034600-1540638152_thumb.jpg

Guest teacupteacup

More progress with the legs now built and fitted.  These slot into blocks of 2x1 glued to the inside of the frame...

post-33604-0-89975200-1540768849_thumb.jpg

The layout is now set up in its home, next task is to cut out and mount the trackbed

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup

Over the past few days the trackbed, and foamboard topping has been cut out and laid...

post-33604-0-04165300-1541542437_thumb.jpg

30mm x 10mm stiffeners have been added around the edges of the 6mm ply trackbed.  I've also cut the backscene away to allow access to the fiddle yard area, and cut a window out to allow access to remove/add loads from open wagons at the other side of the layout. This will be hidden by buildings

I've also been busy with modifying the Peco points, I remove the spring loaded mechanism and the blocky sleepering around it, and replace with new sleepers - normally I would use copperclad strip, however I picked up DCC Concepts sleepering that has pre-tinned pads ready for soldering to the rails.  I lose the locking action but I use servos so that isn't a problem.  Not perfect size wise but I'll trim them as best I can.

post-33604-0-31007500-1541542836_thumb.jpg

The double-slip still has to be done, I will need copperclad strip for this so I've ordered some up.

I also add extra wiring to remove reliance on the point blades transferring power from the running rails.  I solder droppers to the joint between the blades and whatever the other rails leading to the frog are called, and these are linked to the running rails dropper wires.  The double-slip is a right nest of wiring though!  Still to add the frog wiring to all the points.

Another piece of work has been adding some expanded polystyrene to the front of the left hand side of the layout, this will be trimmed down to form an embankment.

Next up will be a start being made on the track laying.

• 1 month later...
Guest teacupteacup

A month since the last update has passed, and there has been a fair bit of progress.

All the track is down, wiring complete, servos installed along with the Megapoints control board and switches.  Tested on DC and DCC and all works as it should.  Thankfully.  The only area to be finished is the fiddle yard.  This was going to be just a single siding, but I've changed this to a 2 road sector plate, which overhangs the edge of the layout by about 15 inches.

post-33604-0-46124500-1544564658_thumb.jpg

Headshunt and sector plate.  I use old Hornby lever switches to operate the point servos, something satisfying about physically moving something to move the points.  The buttons next to them are the remote programming buttons for the Megapoints board which is mounted under the layout.

post-33604-0-31869000-1544564705_thumb.jpg

Main yard area

post-33604-0-47971600-1544564734_thumb.jpg

Whole layout

Next up is to finish off the sector plate, and test all the track work with all motive power and stock just to make sure everything can get through the points without derailing and get the uncoupling magnets installed.

Edited by teacupteacup

Guest teacupteacup

Where did you get your VTG ferry wagon from Joe?

As I have always wanted one

Hi Steve,

I followed it around a 2nd hand stall from april until september this year, and when I visited the trader at an exhibition in october, it had been sold but he had another in his loft at home!  Expensive but worth it

It was Junction Box models I got it from https://www.thejunctionbox.net/

Recognise the SPA's?  :yes:

Guest teacupteacup

Thanks Joe

I was so fixated on the ferry-wagon I did not see them lurking in the background there.

Which company made the VTG wagon, so I can keep an eye out for one, although I do not hold out high hopes of finding one.

Just found out - It was Dapol

Yeah, Dapol. if I see one on my travels I'll pick it up for you.

Yeah, Dapol. if I see one on my travels I'll pick it up for you.

Yes please do Joe :)

I really want to recreate a 47 hauled consist of ferry wagons from Dover docks early 80s feel to it.

I have this so far, it is HO, I can just about get away with it looking a touch too small if I place it in the right place

post-17404-0-49590300-1544735849_thumb.jpg

And the Hornby ferrywagon you can see here, but that is as far as I have got

post-17404-0-93902600-1544735581_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

The latest Paul Bartlet has one pictured - is at Dover in 1988.

But I do tend to associate them with the late 70s early 80s

Oh thats interesting...

• 1 month later...

Here is the trackplan for Seething Lane

attachicon.gifSeething Lane.jpg

The fiddle yard/stick is the top left.  Bottom left is a headshunt with a siding to some sort of industry - which hides the fiddle yard

I really like your plan, especially as it allows lengthier modern stock in the sidings. My own first attempt at restarting in the hobby is almost exactly the same length but a little wider, and I am just finishing my own "plywood beam" baseboard, although my woodworking/finish isn't a patch on yours.

Where did you get the foam board for the track bed? Looking for an alternative to cork...

If my final plan ends up resembling your own, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Steve

Guest teacupteacup

I really like your plan, especially as it allows lengthier modern stock in the sidings. My own first attempt at restarting in the hobby is almost exactly the same length but a little wider, and I am just finishing my own "plywood beam" baseboard, although my woodworking/finish isn't a patch on yours.

Where did you get the foam board for the track bed? Looking for an alternative to cork...

If my final plan ends up resembling your own, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Steve

Hi Steve

Feel free to copy the plan!

I get the foamboard from Hobbycraft.  Decent sized sheets for 4 quid each or something

• 2 months later...