WESTERN WONDERS 1961-1977

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

WESTERN WONDERS 1961-1977
Another cracking new 96 page large format landscape colour album, this time depicting the Class 52s from their earliest days through to 1977 utilising the finest colour photographs from some of the nation's best cameramen, all supported with fascinating and detailed captions.

Proceeds from this title will help to support the activities and the locomotives of The Class 50 Alliance and The Deltic Preservation Society.

Inside we have colour photographs of all seventy-four Westerns taken during their heydays from their introduction in 1961 until 1977. A wide range of locomotive liveries, locations and workings have been selected to make this a real treat for fans of the Westerns, one to definitely add to your collection.

96 Pages full colour printed on glossy art paper, larger landscape format. HARDBACK

£22.95

Released 25 May 2018

post-10498-0-97564800-1525097302.jpg

• Like 10

That's something of the cut your nose off to spite your face about it.

Surely one buys a book for the contents? You can always drop a fiver into a pot for the charity of your choice as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why is a book about Westerns going to support Class 50’s should it not supporting Westerns?

If that’s right the money going to support Class 50’s I won’t be buying it and hope the WLA boycott it as well.

Let me share the facts with you, The DTG were offered the same opportunity as the other groups to benefit from the sales of these books, therefore you would be well advised to take the matter up with the Chairman of the DTG who turned it down even though their Sales Officer was 100% behind the project. So your un-charitable suggestion to boycott the books even though we are still helping the other groups to not only raise funds for their locomotives but also to help with awareness for their causes sticks in the craw.

So TEDDYBEAR D9521 if you feel that as a commercial concern that I am to be boycotted for helping such projects, even if some of them refuse such help, then shame on you!

To read such an open call to boycott us in this way suggests I should not bother publishing anything else in the future to help preservation projects, such is the ingratitude at trying to be charitable.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Edited by Strathwood
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Why is a book about Westerns going to support Class 50’s should it not supporting Westerns?

If that’s right the money going to support Class 50’s I won’t be buying it and hope the WLA boycott it as well.

RMweb at it's best.....how sad..

• RMweb Premium

Back in the day, there were some bashers who would let a train go, even if it destroyed future moves, if the "wrong" class of locomotive was on a train. I also know of people who have got off a failed train onto the ballast to avoid being hauled by the rescuing loco because it was the "wrong" class. Some wouldn't touch a Class 50 because they displaced the Westerns, 50 bashers wouldn't touch 47s and vice-versa, so a Railtour featuring both would both boycotted by all.

However, time has moved on and I would like to think any money donated to the preservation movement would be welcomed; after all there are in reality more preserved diesels around the country than can probably be supported in the long term and keeping them going will become more and more difficult as the owners with the money to keep them going pass away.

I for one think this is a great initiative by Kevin and deserves being supported. I'm looking forward to the other Class volumes advertised on the website as well.

• Like 1

Let me share the facts with you, The DTG were offered the same opportunity as the other groups to benefit from the sales of these books, therefore you would be well advised to take the matter up with the Chairman of the DTG who turned it down even though their Sales Officer was 100% behind the project. So your un-charitable suggestion to boycott the books even though we are still helping the other groups to not only raise funds for their locomotives but also to help with awareness for their causes sticks in the craw.

So TEDDYBEAR D9521 if you feel that as a commercial concern that I am to be boycotted for helping such projects, even if some of them refuse such help, then shame on you!

To read such an open call to boycott us in this way suggests I should not bother publishing anything else in the future to help preservation projects, such is the ingratitude at trying to be charitable.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

I think this is a rather sad and un-neccessarily severe response, considering that this forum is providing free advertising to an appreciative audience (or at least that is the way I see it). 

Ok, I appreciate the efforts which go into publishing a photo album; but remember that some people are quite happy to post their priceless photos here (and on other online pages) for free. 

People tend to have polarised opinions these days, and I am not averse to a personal rant from time to time; but I find that the best response to anger over a particular subject, is to simply ignore it - and move on. 

• RMweb Gold

I think this is a rather sad and un-neccessarily severe response, considering that this forum is providing free advertising to an appreciative audience (or at least that is the way I see it). 

Ok, I appreciate the efforts which go into publishing a photo album; but remember that some people are quite happy to post their priceless photos here (and on other online pages) for free. 

People tend to have polarised opinions these days, and I am not averse to a personal rant from time to time; but I find that the best response to anger over a particular subject, is to simply ignore it - and move on. 

Did you see the original response which  has since been edited?

Did you see the original response which  has since been edited?

Yes thanks. 

Edited to add that I had thought I had made it plain, that if someone is promoting a commercial product free of charge on a forum; then their criticism of those who have any objections should be extremely limited, and at least be polite. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Thank you

I should explain - I have no bias towards or against Strathwood - I own a few of their books but I thought the sentiments expressed by TB9521 in the now deleted post which I partially quoted could have been a little more sensitively expressed or contained a request for further information. To paraphrase a rule from my old carpentry teacher Mr Jones... "write twice ..post once..".I really appreciate what much of the information and inspiration I get from RMweb but some of the verbal violence is unnecessary..and very offputting...

Edited by Gilbert

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes they are out today, I have done a 1300 mile round trip from Inverness in the last 48 hours in a large van all around the UK, personally delivering all five of the new titles to The Fifty Fund, The Deltic Preservation Society and a host of wholesalers and a number of retail outlets too, with more to be supplied in the next seven days direct from the warehouse in Bedford.

So please do support the two preservation groups with your business where you can to help keep their locomotives active.

But do be quick as fulfilling these advance orders means that the following percentages of the print runs have now already been pre-sold from our warehouse.

Western Wonders 1961-1977 (39% pre-sold)

Fifty Years of the Class 50s (54% pre-sold)

Deltic Devotion (63% pre-sold)

Class 40 Celebration 1958- 1988 (33% pre-sold)

Large Logo Salute (51% pre-sold)

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have the book in my hands, thanks to speedy delivery from strathwood.

It's superb, i probably have 95% of all western books published in my collection so having a new book with 96 pages in full colour is a treat, photos of all the class in all the liveries. Plenty of ex works make a great comparison to the faded work worn loco's ; those of the green livery show how bad that colour looked with rust showing through, be great to replicate though on a model.

My personal favourite is 1041 from mr b Mills at Swindon works open day 1979, a queue of fans waiting to cab her, some with those ADIDAS bags, now I was there on that day aged 12, probably in the queue as well.

Recommended.

• RMweb Gold

Are there many pictures of them in South Wales?

This is my favorite area, but most books on the hydraulics are in the west country or London areas, which I can understand, but south wales seems to have been neglected by a lot of photographers.

Are there many pictures of them in South Wales?

This is my favorite area, but most books on the hydraulics are in the west country or London areas, which I can understand, but south wales seems to have been neglected by a lot of photographers.

Being Cardiff born and bred, I agree completely.

Brian R

Being Cardiff born and bred, I agree completely.

Brian R

Spent my trainspotting years there and agree entirely as to the lack of photos of Westerns in South Wales in books. A very lopsided historical view of their work is then presented to those who were never there. I've seen a lot of Western books in the last few years and passed on the lot because of this. Bri, we need some of the great photos as seen on the Railways in South Wales Facebook page turned into a book !

• RMweb Gold

I believe one well known and admired contributor to RiSW may have been approached.

This is true but trying to get contributors to send over scans or borrow their slides to scan ourselves is the hardest of problems, as the standard reply is I have so little time and I will get around to it some day. Sadly that day often never comes around, we know of many collections that have either been dumped after the photographer passed on, or stashed in the loft pending a day when a family member gets around to compiling the "Fred Blogg's Collection" thinking they will have both the knowlege and resources to put the books together, store, retail and wholesale them, and just maybe even get their money back. Just by the by, I invested almost £100,000 into Strathwood when I started it and it was over two years before I could draw a wage from it, so beware if you think railway publishing is the route to riches, it's not.

Kevin