Ely's (40th!) Annual Model Railway Exhibition - Sat 19th May

andykwilkinson

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that we're all getting excited/in the final stages of preparation for our annual show at Ely College on Saturday 19th May, starting at 10.30AM and closing at 4.30PM.  Yes, I know it clashes with the Royal Wedding but you can always watch the highlights on catch up!

Malcolm Hine, our Exhibition Manager, has put together a superb range of layouts and traders for the show, including his very own 7mm Fullers Wharf.

You can get full details about the show on our Ely MRC website , link in my signature.

I'll put a poster in here and mention that we have lots of FREE parking at the Ely College site and the exhibition is, as usual, in two large halls.  The Peterborough Model Engineers will have a steam train ride outside and there will also be a scale model of a traction engine for child rides too.

So leave the Mrs at home and bring the kids so she can watch that wedding in peace!

post-2942-0-10926800-1525258049.png

Ok here is the list of exhibitors!

Layouts:

Condicote in 00, a Great Western branch line terminus set in Worcestershire.

Grange West Goods in 00, a GWR branch line goods yard.

Trowland in S scale, a Midland & Great Northern Railway branch line terminus set in the pre-grouping era.

Warren Hill in O Gauge, an ex Great Eastern Railway branch line terminus in the early years of British Railways.

Fullers Wharf in O Gauge, my own layout based on the northern end of the Cromford and High Peak Railway.

Tashvale in N. A fun layout for the younger visitors to have a go at driving a train.

Holbeach Estates Railway in 009. Based on the Lincolnshire potato railways in the 1920's to 1950's.

Friday Bridge in EM. A terminus of an imaginary branch line of the Wisbech & Upwell railway.

Wendsleydale a fun layout in O16.5 scale. Count the mice!

Dock Green Loco in O Gauge. Another delightful minimum space layout from Colin and Margaret French.

Coronado Shortline. An American O Gauge secondary line terminus.

Fen End Pit in 16mm/ft scale. Our very good friend David Barham has bought his revamped layout based on the sand quarrying operations once so commonplace.

Boxworth in N scale.

Aviemore in N scale. Our club member Neil's first showing of this well known Scottish station set in dramatic scenery.

Nene Wharf in 00 scale. Loosely based on the goods yard at Benwick in Cambridgeshire.

Peterborough Model Engineers are here again with their 5 inch gauge line. Have a ride!

Tracey Jane. A 4 inch/ft scale traction engine offering rides to raise funds for charity.

Demonstrations.

Loco Clinic by Tony Wright.

Gauge 3 wagon building by Andy Hastings.

Model Buildings by Howard Leader.

00 scale scratch-built wagons by our President, Derek Buck.

Traders

Kevins Model Railways - second-hand stock in the popular scales.

Layouts 4 U - electrical bits as well as tools.

Graham Varley - a professional model-maker who builds to a very high standard to commission.

Bob Pearman Books. Always something of interest to browse and buy.

Railway Memories. A wide range of transport DVD's and memorabilia.

Great Eastern Transport Films selling DVD's showing railways from the modern era.

Great Eastern Models supplying all your modelling needs from the major manufacturers.

Great Eastern Railway Society.

HA Models. A wide range of rolling stock kits along with paints, glues etc.

The B17 Locomotive Trust supporting the building of a new member of the class.

Coastal DCC. Kevin supplies all the parts you need for DCC.

Model Scenery Supplies. A warm welcome to the local suppliers of all things scenic.

And of course our club sales stand - well worth a rummage!

If all that leaves you feeling in need of refreshment then take a seat in our cafeteria and enjoy a beverage and some quality home made snacks.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Malcolm is too modest a modeller to mention that his layout, Fullers Wharf, is not only at the exhibition but is also in this months BRM magazine (superb photos by Andy York I must say).

Not wishing to lead the election... but I've just upgrade our "Best Layout" Voting Box ahead of the show as it was looking a bit battered and tired.  We include a voting slip in each programme we give out - the programmes are free - the vote counter (me) is open to financial persuasion.  Only joking!!!!

post-2942-0-82524700-1525956894_thumb.jpg

There will also be ample supplies of Tea and Home made Cake ,sandwiches etc; from the refreshment area.

The weather will be fine  :sungum:

It should be Lovely !

Not sure of the lashings of Ginger beer though.

• Like 1

Looks great!

For those that live hereabouts I'm told that BBC Radio Cambridgeshire (FM96.0 and 95.7, and on Digital Radio, iPlayer etc.) should be broadcasting a short piece about our Club, our hobby and our upcoming Exhibition on the Sue Marchant show between 3 and 4PM tomorrow (Tuesday 15th May).

Sue visited our Clubroom a couple of weeks back and spoke to quite a few of the members - so it'll be interesting to see who made the cut!

Edited by andykwilkinson

Ever wondered what our Club is like? Sue Marchant did us truly proud on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire today.

Start listening from about 20 minutes in where we get a 12 minute slot. And then again another good slot from about 36 minutes in until about 47 minutes! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p065jjcd

She even gave us another plug for the Exhibition at the end :-)

• RMweb Gold

Fen End Pit is looking forward to it! The 'snag-list' is almost all turned green and I am now down to hopefully minor items that only I will notice.

post-7212-0-26868500-1526421663_thumb.jpg

post-7212-0-25913400-1526421681_thumb.jpg

Hope to see a good crowd there.

David

post-7212-0-26868500-1526421663_thumb.jpg

post-7212-0-25913400-1526421681_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello

Shouldn't be any dead spots with DCC Dave.

Cheers

George

Well, one day to go! I'm off down to the club room this morning to pack-up Fullers Wharf ready for the move to the venue. I may be a bit late arriving at the college as I have to attend a hospital appointment mid-afternoon but rest assured the team will take care of things until I get there! If you are planning to set up this afternoon then please do not arrive before 4.30pm as we are not allowed access until the students have vacated the premises. Looking forward to a good show!

ATB

Malcolm

Edited by malcolmrhine

Ha ha!  You're never going to let me forget that "little mishap" (well, OK, quite a big mishap!) whilst babysitting your layout a few years back. If I remember correctly is was at a Bury St Edmunds show, in the days when it was in Risby Village Hall.

We're all looking forward to seeing you in Ely tomorrow Dave - always a pleasure to hear your dulcet tones!

We've got a number of exhibitors and traders already set up in the both Needhams Hall and the Gym at Ely College on Downham Road. All being well, the remaining invited stands and exhibits will descend on us in the morning, followed by lots of eager punters escaping from the media frenzy about you know what!  Hopefully, everything will be ready for when we open the public at 10.30AM.

Safe travels everyone and we look forward to seeing you all tomorrow, Traders, Exhibitors and Visitors. Here's to what we all hope will be a highly enjoyable Model Railway Exhibition, our 40th in Ely no less! 

Went along today and really enjoyed the show. Good selection of layouts, including a couple I have not seen before. A shame that Aviemore could not make it, but understand the reasons, and hope it will be there next year.

Well done to all involved.

Nick

We had a BRILLIANT 40th Model Railway exhibition in Ely!

The winner of the best layout competition, voted for by the public, was Fen End Pit. A very deserving winner - for a number of reasons. David was so, so happy. A great result.

And to cap it all. We got a VERY low level flypast by the Lancaster Bomber over Ely College at 5.05pm as we were packing up the show.

To all our Exhibitors, Traders and Visitors and Club Members that helped make it such a special and enjoyable day, thank you!

Malcolm Hine, our Exhibition Manager, can you please book the Spitfire & Hurricane (as well as the Lancaster) for the flypast next year...

Finally, our very best wishes to Club Member Neil (who was unexpectedly rushed into Addenbrookes on Friday)...That’s why Aviemore had to be substituted at the last minute. We sincerely hope you get well soon and that Aviemore will be at our 2019 show - as always on the 3rd Saturday in May.

Certainly was an excellent show and congratulations to the organisers  - my first visit to Ely and well worth the 2 hour drive each way in the heat!

Fen End Pit is outstanding and well worth the best in show acolade. The other layouts were a good standard and variety (scale, gauge and location/era) and provided plenty of entertainment.

Also its a good venue with the show well laid out and with plenty of parking (useful for us strangers). I will be looking out for next years details.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1