Colas Class 70

RateTheFreight

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived first thing Friday from Kernow Model Rail Centre, always a superb service and as I had both the Freightliner and Colas on order, the postage was free. You cannot get better service! 

Bring on another Colas 70/8 in 2019, with the updated Colas safety helmet.

I’ve been asked to renumber and re-helmet one for head office, told em I’d take a spare one as payment (they didn’t go for it!)

• Like 1

Mine arrived first thing Friday from Kernow Model Rail Centre, always a superb service and as I had both the Freightliner and Colas on order, the postage was free. You cannot get better service! 

Bring on another Colas 70/8 in 2019, with the updated Colas safety helmet.

2019?? Ha ha ha . Very good.

• RMweb Gold

If you want to be really picky you can only choose 802 to 810 as 811-817 have a different cab interior with a taller blue panel between the 2 drivers screens to allow fitment of tpws4

802 only has can end numbers at one end too

Thanks for the info Jim. Like the sound of 802 as it's a bit different. Not overly fussed by a difference in cab interior detail, so may well do one of the 'higher' numbered ones.

Andy.

I received mine through the post, or should that be chucked in the back garden by Yodel today and what can I say. Thanks Bachmann! It's certainly a brute of a model and a very well captured one at that. I must admit I hadn't actually fully realised how long they were until I placed mine next to a Mk3 with a Heljan Cargowaggon behind it. 

• RMweb Gold

Seems the only person yet to get one is me!

Hopefully Friday (payday) as Richard at trident trains is shut on a Monday and Tuesday so gets his delivery on a Wednesday, once it arrives though it’s straight into store until I build the new layout in the converted garage

• RMweb Premium

Seems the only person yet to get one is me!

Hopefully Friday (payday) as Richard at trident trains is shut on a Monday and Tuesday so gets his delivery on a Wednesday, once it arrives though it’s straight into store until I build the new layout in the converted garage

Had mine ordered with Richard since it was announced, so hoping for a phone call off him tomorrow :)

• RMweb Premium

This is the modelling equivilant of childbirth.  

I'd completely forgotten what a pain removing the body is, although this was a walk in the park in comparison to trying to get the screws back in after fitting the DCC chip!

Great model however and I may buy another in 3-5 years time... 

• Like 1

Hello everyone.  Today my Bachmann Colas Rail class 70 arrived from Hattons and 70805 is a fantastic model.  Here is a link to some photos of it on my layout running in analogue before I install a decoder hence all the lights lit on the loco!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103667-a-fictional-region-in-the-north-west-of-england-a-dad-son-00-gauge-garage-layout-was-attic/page-7&do=findComment&comment=3228380

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chipped mine today, what a these 70s are.The only way to keep the screws in is to work on it upside down, including installing the chip. Otherwise they're very difficult to get back in. Then the lighting bits pop out, also a pain to get back in.

I notice there is a full set of LEDs in there for both day and night time running, no switch on the bottom to change them. Will a new Bachmann 36-557 do something snazzy or is some rewiring of the lighting circuitry required?

I have one of these as well and I admit to being delighted with it. I didn’t like the Colas livery and never could understand the colour clash evident in many photographs between the yellow and the warning panels. “Why not just match them,” I thought. Now that I see the model itself, it looks quite different. The yellow is almost a lime green and quite different from the yellow of the panels.

When I opened my original Freightliner 70 to install sound, I had to buy screwdrivers with long shafts because my usual ones didn’t reach the body fixing screws.

It’s a pity Bachmann hasn’t tinkered with the lighting; an economy measure no doubt. Cab lights are still not individually, or even directionally, controlled. Both operate together, which doesn’t look right. Someone on here did a rewiring job but I lost the link when my old PC went down.

I’m looking forward to Merl more than ever now.

• RMweb Premium

I have one of these as well and I admit to being delighted with it. I didn’t like the Colas livery and never could understand the colour clash evident in many photographs between the yellow and the warning panels. “Why not just match them,” I thought. Now that I see the model itself, it looks quite different. The yellow is almost a lime green and quite different from the yellow of the panels.

70801 has the more common "warning panel yellow", (unless it's been repainted).  The rest have the lemon yellow. (As do the FL 70s)

70801 and 70802

Reason is that 70801 was painted in the UK at Canton - it was the "demonstrator" 70099 that was built under licence in Turkey...…..

It did have lemon yellow ends for a few days in green. That was when it had the cooler mods fitted that were fitted to all the Colas fleet from new and retrofitted to the FL 70s.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

So if 70801 wasn't repainted at Landore. That begs the question why was it taken there. We're modifications carried out at Landore. It seems abit strange to take to a FGW depot when you have your own Heavy Maintenance Depot at Canton.

70801 had the bodyside air intake modifications done at Landore.