Right, time for the Sunday evening update on the layout. I have made the cardboard box for the layout to be transported / stored in. It's nice and simple as its made from cut up card board boxes which were cut to shape and re-assembled to suit the dimensions I'm working with. I hot glue gunned it all together so it's nice and strong. I have put some supports in so the layout is stored upside down in the box so the supports hold the track so I can put some buildings and stuff in the centre if the layout. It's a bit of a weird shape but that is so that the box will fit into my camera bag for easy transporting. I'm looking forward to taking this layout out and about on the real railways and taking some pictures/videos of it operating some weird railway places. Being a volunteer on a couple different heritage railways should make that easy to arrange. :) Anyway, here are some pictures of that card board box for the layout.post-32204-0-51089700-1526234141_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-63937900-1526234151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well im back with another update on the micro. Its been a while since my last post but Im currently in my exam season so im waist deep in revision and exam prep. So far so good and the best bit is that I will get an 11 week summer holiday to start a new proper home layout and get some railway volunteer work done. Until then I'm afraid progress will be slow. What I've done so far is I have painted that card board box black with just some acrylic paint to give it a more professional look and make it look more than just some cardboard boxes hot glue gunned together.post-32204-0-00103100-1526753911_thumb.jpg Next up I have been planning some of the scenery and structures. I did mock up a wall and some buildings but I felt that the layout was too cramped for its size so I have gone back to the drawing board and come up with the incredibly basic design of just a hut in the middle. I am currently planning on using the scale scenes hut (but in brick) until I scratch build a replacement of the same dimensions. Here's a pic of that.post-32204-0-12447500-1526754052_thumb.jpg I've also been looking at some different designs of loco body for the kato chassis but Ill share them once I've decided what im doing with it. There is also a plan to take the layout camping next weekend so I will see how that goes. Thanks for looking and your patience. :)

• Like 2

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Luke i like the look of the box and the scale scenes brick but I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. It will be a well deserved break after your exams Luke. Enjoy your camping weekend. Even though I'm a psychiatric nurse im also a time served engineer from a few years back now and my spare time is making components for loco s at Shildon NRM it's great fun.:)

Thanks Shildon for your kind words. Im more of a person on the footplate than in the machine shop. I help out at the North Bay Railway in Scarborough when I can and also on the NYMR from time to time in the mpd along with some of the younger volunteers. I seemed to have been bitten by the late night and early morning modelling bug! So I printed of that scalescenes hut last night but being the stingy budgeter that I am I only printed off one sheet of the kit to save ink and card. This stupidly meant that i was missing a wall so I had to improvise by cutting up the chimney. Not to worry though because I want to have a tree and some undergrowth details on that side. Here's a picture of my bodge.post-32204-0-41393200-1526803561_thumb.jpg I also decided it would be a fun idea to draw out a table of and cut out 1400 tiny individual slate tiles. Never the less it put me to sleep quite effectively. This morning i managed to lay all the tiles I need (not all 1400!) on the roof and so far im quite pleased with how it looks.post-32204-0-04689000-1526803696_thumb.jpg It obviously needs painting and then I will give the model a spray with some matt varnish. This hut isn't going to be a permanent fixture on the layout, just something there until I scratcb build a proper hut but to do that I want to buy a certain pack of bricks which are only available (as far as I know) available this one demonstrator at the Pickering model railway exhibition so I will have to wait until then to pick some up. Ballasting is also on the agenda for this layout but I dont seem to have any so i might have to badger my friends to let me pinch some of theres. ;) Thanks for looking. :)

Guest ShildonShunter

Luke i really like the tile effect on the hut. It's amazing how much stuff you can go through when modelling these little layouts.:)

I have done a but more on the layout. I want a gravel texture to the inside of the running loop so I have stuck down a circle of sand paper. This was weighed down so the corners didnt curl.post-32204-0-74772300-1526885159_thumb.jpgA quick coat of a light grey enamel paint has left it looking like this:post-32204-0-85058500-1526885206_thumb.jpg The picture isn't the best but im quite pleased with how it looks so far. I was quite stingy with the paint because I didnt want to flood the sand paper and loose that rough texture. A quick dry brush and I reckon it will look even more like gravel. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 1

Guest Saltburn

I like this little micro layout you are modelling and what makes it great is its portable and can fit into a little case, you have done a nice job on the hut the tiles are great on the roof..

I like this little micro layout you are modelling and what makes it great is its portable and can fit into a little case, you have done a nice job on the hut the tiles are great on the roof..

Thanks Saltburn. The roof is one of those jobs where it takes a long time but I think that it is worth the effort. Designing the layout so that it is portable was an interesting challenge but now im really excited to see where the layout can take me - or vice versa! ;)

The layout has now been ballasted. I think its the light grey woodland scenics mix. I dont have much but i managed to trade a small amount off a friend without having to source a model shop and buy it etc which would work out to be quite expensive for what I want. Fortunately it was nice and warm yesterday so the ballast set off nicely and was glued solid in an hour and a half. I was actually able to put layout on the windowsill because it was so small so it got full heat for a good two hours. Anyway, here is a picture of how it looks now.post-32204-0-83061300-1526971219_thumb.jpg with the ballasting out the way now I can turn my attention to sticking down the hut and doing some static grass. I forgot to mention this in a previous post but I have sprayed on a coat of matt varnish onto the hut so it is more resistant to moisture. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 4

Well spring has sprung on the layout and now its covered in grass! Ive uses cheap Javis summer hairy statuc grass out of a puffer bottle and im quite pleased how it looks. The hut has been stuck down as well with a combination of hot glue and pva glue. The tree is was 50p at a model exhibition ages ago and ive now found a use for it. It has been stuck down to the baseboard with a blob of hot glue. Here's a picture:post-32204-0-22840700-1527058103_thumb.jpg As usual, thanks for looking. :)

• Like 7

Needless to say, every layout must have rolling stock. I want to build a small p way wagon to go behind the loco im working on (I'll show it in another post). I've chosen a p way wagon because its quite generic and I haven't decided the back story of the layout yet. I started with an n gauge gwr coal wagon.post-32204-0-40673500-1527145112_thumb.jpg The body and couplings were removed from the wagon and put in my n gauge scrap box. A wire loop was made for a coupling and super glued on. Next 2 strips of aquatic lead weights were glued in this gives it suitable weight and will be hidden under some ballast. Here's a picture of my progress so far.post-32204-0-87221700-1527145251_thumb.jpg Its nothing magnificant but its a start at least. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 2

Morning everyone. I have finished the little wagon for the layout for the camping trip and 2 sets of batteries have been charged up ready for some running. Frustratingly, I am having some serious running problems on the layout which i cant seem to solve. I think I might have spend the car journey to the camp site trouble shooting (dont worry i wont be driving). Anyway, enough of the problems here is some progress. First a picture of the card body of the wagon.post-32204-0-09491500-1527230845_thumb.jpg I then painted the wagon body a grey colour and the underframes a black. Both are acrylic paints. I then went out and found a suitably sized twig which I cut down into logs. These were then hot glued into the wagon. Heres a picture of that.post-32204-0-27524200-1527231014_thumb.jpg im pretty pleased with how its turned out and tomorrow i will share the loco body that I've been working on. Thanks for looking. :)

Luke i like the overall shape of the wagon body it's really nice to see some scratch building and it looks great with the logs..:)

Thanks class 73, i was inspired by wagons from the lbscr for the shape of that wagon.

Luke i like the overall shape of the wagon body it's really nice to see some scratch building and it looks great with the logs..:)

Thanks class 73, i was inspired by wagons from the lbscr for the shape of that wagon.