Skelton Tower is a shortish walk from Levisham. Very nice for photographs in the summer, if you are feeling energetic you can walk all the way back to Newtondale Halt but I suggest (from my own experience) it is not appropriate in very hot weather.

Skelton Tower is a shortish walk from Levisham. Very nice for photographs in the summer, if you are feeling energetic you can walk all the way back to Newtondale Halt but I suggest (from my own experience) it is not appropriate in very hot weather.

I'd probably walk back to levisham station then catch the train to Newtondale halt. I still need to have a look at the timetable but I expect that i can fit everything in. What about a visit to tmc?

I have never managed to fit TMC in during my visits.

Having a look at the timetable would make it very tight. Also, I'm unsure if a reduced timetable may be put into place because of the mainline steam ban. Its a nice walk to tmc but it does take a while to get there. Looking at the timetable im trying to organise my time the best but this is proving more difficult than first anticipated.

Would not be surprised if NYMR decide to run a diesel service on its own line due to fire risk.

I wouldn't either. Thing is though theyve only got 3 proper diesels in traffic as well as a fleet of shunters. Only one of those locos (class 25) can go to whitby then they have a 26 and a 101. From what I know the 26 isnt the most reliable. They have a 37 there as well but i dont think that it is currently operational. If they ran diesels only it would be a very reduced timetable. I had a look on the rosta today and they have split it 50 50 with half diesels and half steam. I guess they're trying to reduce the risk whilst still running a full timetable.

They could be running diesel bankers out of Grosmont to Goathland so steam engines don’t have to work so hard up the 1 in 49.

Very true. Moments like this make heritage railways realise that its a good idea to have some diesel reserves. At the moment Im thinking of moving my trip to early next week just because it will be easier and will be more certain of what is actually happening.

Very true. Moments like this make heritage railways realise that its a good idea to have some diesel reserves. At the moment Im thinking of moving my trip to early next week just because it will be easier and will be more certain of what is actually happening.

Looks like most trains are steam hauled today. Have you checked the loco roster online that tells you what is on each train?

Hi luke the trainspotter. I have just read this thread from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed seeing how this has come together. Great inspiration to me as it's all done on a modest budget and is a micro layout. Being new to the hobby myself & having little space at home and a modest budget myself, it certainly inspires me to possibly attempt something similar in the not too distant future.

Hi luke the trainspotter. I have just read this thread from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed seeing how this has come together. Great inspiration to me as it's all done on a modest budget and is a micro layout. Being new to the hobby myself & having little space at home and a modest budget myself, it certainly inspires me to possibly attempt something similar in the not too distant future.

Well I'm glad that this layout inspired you. I've been challenged to build a smaller layout but I'm not sure if that's possible with my current stock. I hope to consider building another 009 layout myself but it may be slightly larger than this one! ;)

Well I'm glad that this layout inspired you. I've been challenged to build a smaller layout but I'm not sure if that's possible with my current stock. I hope to consider building another 009 layout myself but it may be slightly larger than this one! ;)

Being an out and out novice myself...is there a scale/gauge that would lend itself better to a small/micro layout?

Being an out and out novice myself...is there a scale/gauge that would lend itself better to a small/micro layout?

From my experience 009 is a great scale to work in for a few reasons. Firstly it is prototypical to have it on such a small scale, you dont need to have long trains, you can model in it in quite an economic way and you get all the detail of a oo gauge layout in a smaller amount of space. Its not to fiddly either and there's a nice mix of rtr and kits out there. Hope this is of use.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience 009 is a great scale to work in for a few reasons. Firstly it is prototypical to have it on such a small scale, you dont need to have long trains, you can model in it in quite an economic way and you get all the detail of a oo gauge layout in a smaller amount of space. Its not to fiddly either and there's a nice mix of rtr and kits out there. Hope this is of use.

I find this as well - I don't like really small scales as less detail can be added but in 00 everything takes up a lot of space compared to 009 - 009 is about the right balance between. I love the layout and photographing it in different places is a good idea too.

• 4 months later...

It's been quite a while since anything has happened on this thread. The layout has been stored in its box in a drawer and had suffered no damages what so ever. After looking through some of the pictures from this year's expo narrow gauge event I felt quite inspired to model a bit more in 009 but didn't really want to jump in and start an entirely new project. Instead I have decided to re-do the scenery on it as a kind of break from distillery yard as I've been working on that for a couple of months now. I tried to remove the static grass by scraping it off, unfortunately this didn't work and I had to peel a thin layer of MDF off with it. It now looks like this:post-32204-0-94712200-1541616020_thumb.jpg It looks pretty bare at the moment. The plan is to redo the static grass and sort out a more natural looking tree. Also I will probably make up some new bushes as well. Currently I'm watching a lot of diorama tutorials done by military modellers so I'm feeling quite inspired to improve my scenic skills. Hopefully this revival of the project will allow it to be taken out more in the future.

• Like 2

Today's work has involved working on the little tree which goes next to the hut. This was bought for 50p a year and a bit ago at a model railway exhibition and isn't the most realistic looking tree. So, I've stripped all the scatter off the wire frame and given a light coat of cork brown acrylic to hide some of the metal wire-ry bits up. I will cover it in new scatter in due course to finish it off. post-32204-0-16437400-1541784482_thumb.jpg

More progress to show tonight. I have finished re-doing the static grass and am very happy with the results. Though it's difficult to see in the quick photo from my phone, there is a lot more depth to the grass than the shorter javis grass. I'm also much happier with the colour of it. post-32204-0-06633000-1542136009_thumb.jpg Today I also put in an order from rails of Sheffield. Seeing that they are currently selling these great little European shunters for £42.50 I just had to get one.post-32204-0-85639700-1542136075_thumb.png No doubt I will modify this loco and maybe even just use it for the chassis. I just hope it will manage the extreme curves! (If it can't make it round the curves then I guess I've found myself an excuse to build a larger version of the layou) Some track magic was also purchased as dirty track is main reason why my locos didn't like to run around the layout so I'm hoping that this will make my adventures in 009 a lot more satisfying with a better running quality. Hopefully there will be more progress when the loco arrives and I can clean the track. Also by sorting out the rest of that tree and making some small shrubs.

• Like 2

Well the new roco loco has turned up. It looks really cute and I think I may be ordering some more 009 stuff in the future. post-32204-0-97860800-1542446790_thumb.jpg I have also finished the tree for the layout.post-32204-0-97906100-1542446885_thumb.jpg Unfortunately the roco loco is too big for the layout cause the curves are too tight, no suprise to be honest. I can now use it as an excuse to build a new, larger, layout. Keeping with an industrial theme so I can run plenty of skips. More planning will be need to be done but it's a developing idea.

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 1

Sometimes it feels like you spend a long time not making much progress and that is how today's work has felt like. I have been trying to work out the minimum radius capability of my new roco loco. I ended up concluding that it could 15cm radius with alright and it could manage just below that. Please don't take my numbers as the most reliable source due to my bodged tester (a set square, couple of rulers, small hattons box and some screws)post-32204-0-01463100-1542658640_thumb.jpg I'm still unsure on the format of the future 009 micro layout (wether to make it an exhibition layout/home layout/ easily transportable layout but there will be another 009 layout!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...