Show us your Barclays

post-704-0-15251400-1525630020.jpg

My 7mm Barclay 0-6-0 Diesel. I think it's a Mercian kit, not entirely sure as I won it most unexpectedly on Ebay, already built. I put in a bid with a few minutes to go, fully expecting to be out-bid in the dying seconds, but no - I won the loco at a rather reasonable £80-ish. :yes:

It was red already, but I painted it EWS Maroon, replaced the solid buffers with Slaters sprung buffers, and since taking this photo have done some weathering and added more details, like a toolbox & oil can on the footplate.

• Like 12

I built mine from the Kingdom Kit. I think it was just about the only industrial loco available at the time, but when I opened the box it was way too scary for my limited abilities with castings that were pretty ropey and axle holes that were too large for the bearings. It therefore stayed unbuilt for 10-15 years. By then I had the basic skills to replace all the dodgy parts, so it has a running plate/valance/buffer beam assembly in brass (original shown for comparison) and a brass boiler and cab roof too. It runs very well but there are still a couple of issues with its appearance. The first is my fault as I put the tank handrails too low. The second is that the buffer height is a little too low, even with the running plate chocked well up off the frames. The wheels are the recommended 3'3" but I can't help thinking it would look better with 3'6".

post-30882-0-33808700-1525701650_thumb.jpg

post-30882-0-90171700-1525701664_thumb.jpg

post-30882-0-01654800-1525701692_thumb.jpg

post-30882-0-54121400-1525701702_thumb.jpg

post-30882-0-03957600-1525701722_thumb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I like that "Piano tank"I Have never heard of that style of tank being called that before - do you know the origin of that term? I thought that style of tank was an ogee. Would you also happen to have drawings for that one as I'd like to make one in 4mm.

I like that "Piano tank"I Have never heard of that style of tank being called that before - do you know the origin of that term? I thought that style of tank was an ogee. Would you also happen to have drawings for that one as I'd like to make one in 4mm.

Please give Ruston the drawings!

To misquote something The Man posted to me,

'If You Get him The Drawings, He Will Build It!!!!!'

I'm going to have to Get My Coat....... Again!!!!

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Two rather less familiar AB locos

post-1643-0-19475000-1525800088_thumb.jpg

0-6-2ST No.190, built for the Alexandra Docks railway and only slightly Swindonised after the grouping. Scratchbuilt in 4mm/00 gauge, posed here on herculaneum Dock but runs on Cwmafon.

The second one might well be unique

post-1643-0-99987700-1525800416_thumb.jpg

This is AB649 as rebuilt by LH, I built them an unpowered 7mm scale display model. It's all etched but we haven't got round to a kit for it yet, the full size loco works at INEOS Grangemouth. The model still has the original Barclay iron wheels but the loco had these changed for a wheelset and rods from a standard Hunslet 0-6-0DH.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Two rather less familiar AB locos

attachicon.gif190.JPG

0-6-2ST No.190, built for the Alexandra Docks railway and only slightly Swindonised after the grouping. Scratchbuilt in 4mm/00 gauge, posed here on herculaneum Dock but runs on Cwmafon.

The second one might well be unique

attachicon.gif06-45 br.JPG

This is AB649 as rebuilt by LH, I built them an unpowered 7mm scale display model. It's all etched but we haven't got round to a kit for it yet, the full size loco works at INEOS Grangemouth. The model still has the original Barclay iron wheels but the loco had these changed for a wheelset and rods from a standard Hunslet 0-6-0DH.

I wondered when your big 0-6-2 would appear!!

If you kit the diesel, would it be just in 7mm or 4mm as well?

Chris.

Hi Ruston,

Piano tank is quite a common description this side of the border, I don't know the origin but suspect it has something to do with curvy shape found on grand pianos!  A rose by any other name!

This is the second model I have built of this loco, the first was in P4 a long time ago, and both were built from a drawing in the G&SWRA collection.  The loco was this.

post-6089-0-09256000-1525880739_thumb.jpg

The  works pug of the G&SWR.  When built it went on contracting work on the building of the Fairlie-Largs line and on completion of the contract was sold to the G&SWR for £350.  It worked for a time on dock shunting in Greenock and them became the Works shunter at Kilmarnock.  She was treated to a full lining job and kept in first class condition, works pet I suppose.  The photo shows her in 1922 beside one of the last G&SWR locos, the Baltic pugs.  I built my version as an industrial but fully intend another but in full G&SWR lined livery one day.

Ian.

• Like 9

Here is my contribution.

I have, like 'Barclay', a Kingdom Kits big Barclay. She is in CPC livery. Twenty five odd years ago she was the only game in town if I wanted a model of an engine very dear to me.

No, my contribution is the much talked about Impetus fireless locomotive.

She is a Barclay as far as I am concerned.

She is the work of my dear friend Mike, who, built her for me as a Birthday present!

DS10 motor and a single stage 60 to 1 Romford set of gears.

Smooth!!!

The gear wheel is almost as big as the drivers!!!!!

She has been built well over twenty years and I love her to bits!!!

C.

post-17261-0-27950100-1526482093_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I built mine from the Kingdom Kit. I think it was just about the only industrial loco available at the time, but when I opened the box it was way too scary for my limited abilities with castings that were pretty ropey and axle holes that were too large for the bearings. It therefore stayed unbuilt for 10-15 years. By then I had the basic skills to replace all the dodgy parts, so it has a running plate/valance/buffer beam assembly in brass (original shown for comparison) and a brass boiler and cab roof too. It runs very well but there are still a couple of issues with its appearance. The first is my fault as I put the tank handrails too low. The second is that the buffer height is a little too low, even with the running plate chocked well up off the frames. The wheels are the recommended 3'3" but I can't help thinking it would look better with 3'6".

attachicon.gifWP_20180507_13_32_56_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20180507_13_36_56_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20180507_13_44_09_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20180507_13_40_46_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20180507_14_40_38_Pro.jpg

You, sir, are, like me, an industrial locomotive junkie!!

I recognise the Gin pit Naismith, big Bagnall, Stephenson crane tank. 

The two saddle tanks in the background intrigue me. Would you care to enlighten me please?

Chris.

Guilty as charged! Just visible, on the left, a RSH 0-4-0st (High Level); DNT, the big Bagnall 0-4-0st (Impetus); under the water tower is an Austerity (Airfix and other bits); and to the right, an Avonside 0-6-0st (Agenoria).

Guilty as charged! Just visible, on the left, a RSH 0-4-0st (High Level); DNT, the big Bagnall 0-4-0st (Impetus); under the water tower is an Austerity (Airfix and other bits); and to the right, an Avonside 0-6-0st (Agenoria).

Finally!!! Somebody else with a running Impetus Big Bagnall 0-4-0.

I have a High Level RSH to do, I'm cleaning up a part built Center Models RSH kit as an historical exercise amonst all the other stuff I'm 'In the middle' of doing!!

Great selection of models!

I bet the fitter at your works has the odd nightmare dealing with the different builders!

Chris.

It was my first etched loco kit, so I kept it simple, followed the instructions, and used a tiny 9/16 open frame motor vertically in the firebox, and instead of the suggested 40:1 Romford gears I used 60:1. All logic says it should be terrible but it runs perfectly well. At the risk of de-railing the thread, here's a picture.

post-30882-0-09500800-1526545008_thumb.jpg

Yes the fitter would have a fit - especially when he sees the Neilson Box tank and the relics from Boulton's siding I'm planning for the future - however who wants to build the same thing over and over, even if would be more believable?

I'd like to see your Kingdom Kits CPC Barclay. Did you use the recommended 3'3" wheels? In fact did any big Barclays use 3'3" wheels? Be interested to know.

• Like 10

It was my first etched loco kit, so I kept it simple, followed the instructions, and used a tiny 9/16 open frame motor vertically in the firebox, and instead of the suggested 40:1 Romford gears I used 60:1. All logic says it should be terrible but it runs perfectly well. At the risk of de-railing the thread, here's a picture.

attachicon.gifBagnall.jpg

Yes the fitter would have a fit - especially when he sees the Neilson Box tank and the relics from Boulton's siding I'm planning for the future - however who wants to build the same thing over and over, even if would be more believable?

I'd like to see your Kingdom Kits CPC Barclay. Did you use the recommended 3'3" wheels? In fact did any big Barclays use 3'3" wheels? Be interested to know.

My big barclay has the 3' 3'' wheels. She is wobbly in the chassis department.

The shots do her no justice at all!! Mind you, she is an old lady now!

I've stuck a shot of the Bagnall on as well.

If anything, yours and Ruston's shots will encourage me to get my finger out and finally sort some proper scenics out!!

I'm still not certain about the shade of blue on the Hattons CPC Barclay. I'm not going to repaint it mind!! Got enough to do!!!

I don't know wether the wheels are correct I'm afraid. The other example of this kit I know of is Mike Edge's example on Cwmafon. I think that beast has the 3' 3'' wheels.

C.

post-17261-0-50195500-1526563358_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-19150000-1526563499_thumb.jpg

post-17261-0-89276000-1526563876_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

There's a picture in one of the industrial steam books where the colour is very like the Hattons loco, although as your picture shows it seems to have gotten much darker as it weathered. So that's at least 4 of us on this forum who've built that disreputable old kit. I hope yours won't face the torch now the new upstart is on the scene!

There's a picture in one of the industrial steam books where the colour is very like the Hattons loco, although as your picture shows it seems to have gotten much darker as it weathered. So that's at least 4 of us on this forum who've built that disreputable old kit. I hope yours won't face the torch now the new upstart is on the scene!

Definitely not!

There is an opening at 'Manchester Steel' for a hard locomotive. Livery'll get changed mind!

C.

• Like 1