Show us your Barclays

I've got two!  Steam ones anyway, there's a diesel one on the back burner thanks (!) to Ruston.  The Kingdom Kits one was a bit of a 'challenge' to say the least.  The DJH was another of Ruston's  which I converted to P4 but, owing to the way the drive train etc. is designed, the original chassis, gears etc. were kept and 'modfified/improved/messed about with' to fit P4.

The 'big' Kingdom one.  It has since been weathered (Ruston again!) and it had a good run-in on the test track at Scaleforum last year.  With 108:1 gearing it took a while to complete a circuit.  Name plates have now been attached better!

post-807-0-81611200-1526988609_thumb.jpg

The DJH.  It has a DS10 motor as originally fitted and runs very well.  I fitted some small AG wheels I had in stock so can't say if they are exactly correct or not!  The correct buffer is now fitted.

post-807-0-88004500-1526988653.jpg

Size comparison.  Quite a difference.

post-807-0-47544400-1526988677.jpg

There are threads covering both of these.  Once I've found them I'll post links.

EDIT -Kingdom Thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106477-another-one-started-kingdom-kits-barclay-16/?hl=%2Bkingdom+%2Bkits

DJH thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119789-and-yet-another-barclay/?hl=%2Bkingdom+%2Bkits+%2Bbarclay&do=findComment&comment=2619327

Edited by 5050
  • Like 7

Guest Isambarduk

Here is my sole example of a Barclay, a fireless locomotive:

AB_Calderstones.jpg

My 7mm model includes a few of the castings from the Eric Underhill kit (now with ABS) but it is almost entirely scratch-built, including the footplate, cab buffers and buffer planks, steps, dome, exhaust, cylinders, valve gear and cab interior and other details.  The wheels were cast in brass from my pattern and press-fitted with steel tyres for split-axle pickup.  More information and images at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Andrew-Barclay-Fireless.htm

AB-motionwork.jpg

David

AB_Calderstones.jpg

My 7mm model includes a few of the castings from the Eric Underhill kit (now with ABS) but it is almost entirely scratch-built, including the footplate, cab buffers and buffer planks, steps, dome, exhaust, cylinders, valve gear and cab interior and other details.  The wheels were cast in brass from my pattern and press-fitted with steel tyres for split-axle pickup.  More information and images at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Andrew-Barclay-Fireless.htm

AB-motionwork.jpg

David

Lovely!  I would really like a similar one in 4mm but the Impetus kits are like the well-known rocking-horse poo and at silly prices.  Perhaps a scratch build might be in order!

Guest Isambarduk

Lovely!  I would really like a similar one in 4mm but the Impetus kits are like the well-known rocking-horse poo and at silly prices.  Perhaps a scratch build might be in order!

Thank you, 5050. 

A scratch-build would be quite straight forward, although it'll be a bit more taxing in 4mm scale, I would imagine (at least, it would be for me!).  If there are 4mm kits for other Barclays, they might yield wheels, rods, buffers and such like, and the remainder would be relatively easy platework and fabrications that could be made from sheet and other stock material.

The paperback book 'Fireless Locomotives (Locomotion Papers, number 97)' by Allan Baker and Allen Civil, The Oakwood Press, 1976 has a simple outline side and end elevation drawing, and several photos of Barclay fireless locos.

David

Thank you, 5050. 

A scratch-build would be quite straight forward, although it'll be a bit more taxing in 4mm scale, I would imagine (at least, it would be for me!).  If there are 4mm kits for other Barclays, they might yield wheels, rods, buffers and such like, and the remainder would be relatively easy platework and fabrications that could be made from sheet and other stock material.

The paperback book 'Fireless Locomotives (Locomotion Papers, number 97)' by Allan Baker and Allen Civil, The Oakwood Press, 1976 has a simple outline side and end elevation drawing, and several photos of Barclay fireless locos.

David

A scratchbuild wouldn't be a problem for me (and I think I have the book somewhere!), it's the time, inclination and list of unfinished and 'still to do' projects that are the problem!

Edited by 5050

A scratchbuild wouldn't be a problem for me (and I think I have the book somewhere!), it's the time, inclination and list of unfinished and 'still to do' projects that are the problem!

I also have a copy of the book so If you turn the domes and boilers, I'll make the frames and bodywork and we can have one each.

I also have a copy of the book so If you turn the domes and boilers, I'll make the frames and bodywork and we can have one each.

Hmm, tempting at the very least.  What about the boiler?

• RMweb Gold

AB_Calderstones.jpg

AB-motionwork.jpg

David

A lovely model and very well built, but the paint finish and the lining in particular, is exquisite.

Your Barclays are all very nice, Cap'n but I especially like the little 12" one. You say you have some Gibson wheels for it - I didn't know that they do Barclay wheels that small. The 12" Barclay is another one on my list to scratchbuild and 3ft. 2in. Barclay wheels are a problem to overcome with this.

• RMweb Gold

Your Barclays are all very nice, Cap'n but I especially like the little 12" one. You say you have some Gibson wheels for it - I didn't know that they do Barclay wheels that small. The 12" Barclay is another one on my list to scratchbuild and 3ft. 2in. Barclay wheels are a problem to overcome with this.

Well, they were the smallest Barclay wheels that Alan Gibson did. As there is (I suspect) an element of artistic licence in the loco (as there is in 'Buntie'), I felt that this wouldn't be a huge issue.

img_1136.jpg?w=636

This little beauty arrived with me yesterday. Both a crew and Kadees will be fitted, ‘No. 10 Ayrshire Area’ will be removed and a light weathering needs to be done. Cracking little models.

Edited by Chris 66522

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Blowing the bit of dust off this thread.

Does anyone know whether anyone did a kit in 7mm of the 10" Barclays?

6 exist to this day. I would dearly love to make a model of my own Barclay but I fear it might have to be a bit of a scratch build job to do it.

Can't remember seeing a kit for the 10" in any scale other than a vague memory of something intended to look like one which fits a Hornby pug chassis

In other news; 

IMG-20190720-WA0000.jpeg.cf0e0d0e44877fad08fbef5fb0570320.jpeg

This nasty thing(because let's be honest it's not accurate) has been coming together from the drawings in railway modeller. Only parts not cut, filed or bent into shape by me are the hand rail knobs. Check valves, injectors and sandbox filler caps have been made by attacking 14BA cheese head screws while they spin in the Dremel. Chimney, safety valve cover and cross heads will be lost wax cast with the equipment in my shed. Just need the will to finish it. 

Edited by Yarravalleymodeller
More info
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Thank you for the reply Yarravalleymodeller. I'm not surprised that there hasn't been a 10" done. Looks as if I am going down the scratch built route.

That looks good progress. Is it a 4mm scale loco?

7mm. 

There's also 10mm scale one in a similar state but having moved house its location is unknown for now. There's also a 2mm scale 3D printed body for the Alexandra docks railway 0-6-2 that Michael edge has posted about earlier in this thread, however this is in a box at my dad's house in the UK and I've not got him to post it to my in Australia yet. Maybe I'll pick it up and finish it if I ever go back to the UK. 

Some more photos of it in various states. Including the 3D printed wax for casting the chimney, I've since made a silicone mould from this so that I can inject wax into it and be able cast a few of them so I can build another few of the same loco one day for a layout I have in mind. Think I'd do some things a little different on future examples but I'm happy with it for now. 

IMG-20190421-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20190307-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20190321-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20190315-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20190802-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by Yarravalleymodeller
More photos
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

And here's mine, scratch built in 7mm from the drawings in Railway Modeller from 1974.

IMG_1140.JPG.832e6ec5fb61f31a91167ef91fed6f0e.JPG

Took me absolutely ages to make and I used a lot of photos to get the details something like. It doesn't represent a specific loco, more a lash up of several different ones.

It has DCC sound installed, and despite being 7mm it was still a to get everything inside!  

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 13