NZ Government green lights Auckland light rail

DavidB-AU

I like the heading picture for the article; a Melbourne tram, "Made in Melbourne, for Melbourne"! :D

I do like the idea of a link from Auckland airport to the city. Auckland's burgeoning population is causing very real traffic problems in the peak hours, so a means of bypassing said traffic congestion would certainly boost tourist satisfaction - tourism is NZ's biggest industry at present.

Is this likely to be standard gauge or NZ 3'6"?

That's an interesting question. I don't know what the answer is going to be for Auckland, but precedents include Brisbane's trams which used to use standard gauge while the railways used (and still use) 3' 6". Melbourne, on the other hand, has standard gauge trams but broad gauge trains (5' 3").

I'd expect standard gauge unless Auckland is considering a tram-train (which they looked at, rather briefly, in 2000-2001).  Going for anything other than standard or metre gauge would involve bespoke running gear and as increase costs compared to the off-the-shelf designs offered by the tram suppliers. 

1067mm gauge is standard gauge in New Zealand. You won't get very far if you turn up anywhere on the national network with a 1435mm gauge train set....

1067mm gauge is standard gauge in New Zealand. You won't get very far if you turn up anywhere on the national network with a 1435mm gauge train set....

But it is not standard in terms of what international suppliers offer.