Help! My point motor isn't working!

richscylla

Hi everyone! After a little assistance if possible! I've just spent a little time wiring up my first ever point motor. It's a SEEP PM1, and I've use the Guagemaster CDU. Everything is (I think) wired up right, I'm feeling proud, I flip the switch and nothing. Can anyone see anything obvious that I've done wrong? I have swapped the wires from the CDU to the power source over and that didn't help. Is there anyway I can test to see what is causing the issue. 

Please use short words when replying, when it comes to electrics I'm at a child's level of understanding!!

Pictures below:
2eyxisw.jpg

301exrd.jpg

34gxd6r.jpg

1177349.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Rich

Edited by richscylla

I am looking at the main power source on the right, the one with the knob on top.

What voltage is that?

I was under the impression that a CDU needs 16volts AC but I don't use them myself

Yes - that's right. It's an old Hornby controller with a 16v AC output. 

Wait... it's a 15v AC output. Could that be the issue?

I think the problem is related to the power source you are using. CD units need a lot of power to recharge in an acceptable time and indeed to charge the capacitors at all. There should be an output power rating on the Hornby controller's label.

Yeah it's the power output. I have removed the CDU and everything works properly. So I need to get a new power source. 

Thinking of a laptop charger, but will that be too powerful to use for lighting and signals on my layout?

Thanks, 

Rich

Yeah it's the power output. I have removed the CDU and everything works properly. So I need to get a new power source. 

Thinking of a laptop charger, but will that be too powerful to use for lighting and signals on my layout?

Thanks, 

Rich

Gaugemaster do a wallwart that will do the job. 

Thanks, 

Rich

I'm not convinced that the power supply is at fault. The point motors usually take a lot more power than a CDU. That's the idea of a CDU, to take a little bit of power over a longer time and then discharge the stored power very quickly to operate the point reliably.

I would suspect the CDU is at fault.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not convinced that the power supply is at fault. The point motors usually take a lot more power than a CDU. That's the idea of a CDU, to take a little bit of power over a longer time and then discharge the stored power very quickly to operate the point reliably.

I would suspect the CDU is at fault.

Possibly the voltage input is a little low.

According to the instructions an input of 16 - 25 volts AC is required.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/cdu.pdf

OP, do you have a multimeter, to test what is going on? A cheap one is all that's required for this task.

I have gone out and picked up a guagemaster power supply with a 16v AC output and I'm finding the same issue. The point still throws (just about) without the CDU, but when I add the CDU into the circuit it doesn't work at all. 

Is there anyway to test the CDU? I don't have a multimeter, but if I did, how would I test that it's working correctly?

Thanks, 

Rich

• RMweb Gold

What type of switch is it? CDUs require just momentary contact. Try removing the switch from the circuit and (carefully) throwing the point by touching the feed wire against the bare ends of the green wires

What type of switch is it? CDUs require just momentary contact. Try removing the switch from the circuit and (carefully) throwing the point by touching the feed wire against the bare ends of the green wires

It's a momentary contact switch. I will try taking the switch out of the circuit and trying that though 

That track looks to be blown Aka burnt out. You could try soldering a wire across the bad part to see if it works but may just blow again. Beware of flying fragments if it fails.

Edited by smokebox

What could have caused this? Especially if the voltage was too low?

That track looks to be blown Aka burnt out. You could try soldering a wire across the bad part to see if it works but may just blow again. Beware of flying fragments if it fails.

Possibly a faulty component, incorrect wiring or a short circuit being caused accidentally by contact with a metal object. Various possible causes.

So probably my fault rather than an issue with the CDU. 

I'll grab another one - do people recommend the Peco one over the Gaugemaster one?

The Gaugemaster one is a good unit. I would contact them and see if they are willing to test and repair, though it might not be a cost effective solution considering postal charges. They are normally very good at looking after their customers. The Peco one is often said to be underpowered.

The Gaugemaster one is a good unit. I would contact them and see if they are willing to test and repair, though it might not be a cost effective solution considering postal charges. They are normally very good at looking after their customers. The Peco one is often said to be underpowered.

I have used a little solder to go over the blown track - and it works!! 

Thanks everyone for their help! 

One last question - I have a second SEEP PM1 - how do I connect that to the circuit I have? Assume I don't need a second CDU?

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Use the same layout for wires between the switch and point motor as you have for the first one. Then wire this in parallel with the existing one. Take the yellow lead from the second motor and connect it either to the yellow lead where it solders onto the first point motor or into the same screw terminal on the CDU. The red feed into the back of the switch could be soldered to the red feed on the other switch or the same screw terminal as the red feed on the CDU. This works no matter how many Point motors you have as long as you only fire one at a time and pause slightly between each one.

Wiring in 'piggy back' with just one wire to the switches from the CDU and one common return (your yellow) is neater than having multiple cables running out from the CDU. I hope you understand from my description. If not I can do a diagram.

Use the same layout for wires between the switch and point motor as you have for the first one. Then wire this in parallel with the existing one. Take the yellow lead from the second motor and connect it either to the yellow lead where it solders onto the first point motor or into the same screw terminal on the CDU. The red feed into the back of the switch could be soldered to the red feed on the other switch or the same screw terminal as the red feed on the CDU. This works no matter how many Point motors you have as long as you only fire one at a time and pause slightly between each one.

Wiring in 'piggy back' with just one wire to the switches from the CDU and one common return (your yellow) is neater than having multiple cables running out from the CDU. I hope you understand from my description. If not I can do a diagram.

Thanks BoD. 

I think I do - but a diagram would be super useful if it's not too much trouble. 

Rich