OO New Layout - Modern TMD

geraintll

Hi,

Looking to start a new OO Modern image TMD layout i have a maximum size of 6ft X 1.5ft

i have mocked up a layout in anyrail (attached) and just looking for some feedback on any improvements i could make?

i estimate this layout would hold 10-12 EWS locos.

where the 25.71cm X 34.6CM are is where the engine shed would be covering all 4 tracks, there are 2 fueling points and a fuel tank with the optimism of being able to fit a cabin of some sort between the fueling track and the 2 lines down the bottom which are the main line as when i move i am hoping to attach this to a larger layout.

Cheers in advance

Geraint

post-34115-0-93239600-1525987959_thumb.jpg

As above really.

If the only aim is to display as many locos as possible it works but a lot of depots have drive through refuelling with a run round so locos do t get trapped , I’d be keen to introduce that on a line if possible.

As above really.

If the only aim is to display as many locos as possible it works but a lot of depots have drive through refuelling with a run round so locos do t get trapped , I’d be keen to introduce that on a line if possible.

yeah that was my initial plan but due to only having 6ft its not long enough to get a run around in.

Looking to get the boards ordered this week as going to have them laser cut. 

only change i am considering is changing the express points on the mainline to standard points as i already have some spare standard points which would work

Afraid it’s not very prototypical

Looks a bit like two sets of seperate sidings joined up to fill up,the space.

the sidings to the right and the bottom two lines are fine personally would drop all the others

When you’re looking at the track plan, it’s easy to say as an observer that there’s too much track however it depends what you want to achieve. It doesn’t have to be prototypical but should echo the operations of a real depots to give the layout meaning. Personally I would reconsider the amount of point work and simplify the design in a way which encourages more operations.

Looks like you've simply used the extra 6 inches to add even more points and track. Sorry, but for me 'less is more'

How about including some scenery.  Have a look at look at some of the excellent small TMD layouts here on RMWeb.eg 'Meadow Lane' 

As you are modelling EWS it is much more likely that the track around a TMD would have been rationalised and reduced.

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, less is more. Here is Hillside Stabling Point (long since put into store), but something which I'd suggest is more realistic. The layout from half way across the road in the left upper photo to where the grey road changes colour at the edge of the right hand lower photo is 5' 6" by 19" (an odd size, but it was built from a recycled Sundeala notice board!). 

post-5204-0-22228400-1527114458.jpgpost-5204-0-36382500-1527114471.jpg 

I later extended the layout by two feet which allowed a crossover from the fuel road, back onto the next siding. The platform was added with the extension and could take a 3 car DMU and was assumed to be for an industrial installation (a bit like Filton Platform in Bristol) or for a football ground - I never did decide, but it was little used. In the opposite direction the lower line led to a private siding, but could go straight into a fiddle yard. 

For all the extra track in the proposed plan, I really don't think it adds anything to the operational enjoyment of the layout. But that's only my opinion.

EDIT - description of photo positions edited once final post was seen on screen

Edited by HillsideDepot

2 lines down the bottom which are the main line as when i move i am hoping to attach this to a larger layout.

Maybe look at TMDs that are already situated on main lines? For the size available to you Leicester could be a good choice as inspiration, for example. https://flic.kr/p/GLLhC7

Edited by Amnesiac