Wise words on windows wanted ...

I'm gearing up for my first attempt at scratch-building, which will be an old stone-built warehouse/factory premises made of Slaters embossed plastikard over 1.5mm plain plastic card.

It's the windows that I'm most unsure about. I have no experience of this lark, and I have a degree of arthritis in my hands which means that my dexterity's not what it used to be, so scratch-building the windows is out. What's my best bet for ready-made 4mm/ft rectangular (as opposed to arched top) windows of the Victorian cast iron, small pane industrial type, or failing that, Crittalls?

I'm gearing up for my first attempt at scratch-building, which will be an old stone-built warehouse/factory premises made of Slaters embossed plastikard over 1.5mm plain plastic card.It's the windows that I'm most unsure about. I have no experience of this lark, and I have a degree of arthritis in my hands which means that my dexterity's not what it used to be, so scratch-building the windows is out. What's my best bet for ready-made 4mm/ft rectangular (as opposed to arched top) windows of the Victorian cast iron, small pane industrial type, or failing that, Crittalls?

Brassmasters

Ambis engineering

For the most comprehensive range of everything brass etched including a mind boggling assortment of windows and doors in all scales no other manufacturer even comes close to Scalelink on 01747 811817.

Cheers.

Allan.

Here's a link direct to their web page for windows and doors:- http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Doors___Windows___Scale_1_76.html

Right, that's me sorted for windows, but I've now realised I'm unsure about making the necessary openings!

This is embossed Plastikard on 1mm plastic card (not 1.5 as in my OP), so what exactly is the best way to end up with rectangular openings of the right size for the etched brass windows? Cut undersize holes in the 1mm, use that as a template to mark the openings on the back of the embossed, stick the two together (d/s sticky tape) then file out to size - or what? I'm a bit concerned about the reveals ...

Edited by spikey

Off topic but

To get the right effect of old windows each pane needs to be fitted individually and slightly out of true,  that way the light twinkles on the glass as each pane reflects differently instead of glaring on them all at the same time.   Very noticeable were new double glazed single pane units with dummy gazing bars replaced individual panes.   Noticed this at Witney this week on tarted up Victorian pile.

Also relevant to modelling

• Like 1

Right, that's me sorted for windows, but I've now realised I'm unsure about making the necessary openings!This is embossed Plastikard on 1mm plastic card (not 1.5 as in my OP), so what exactly is the best way to end up with rectangular openings of the right size for the etched brass windows? Cut undersize holes in the 1mm, use that as a template to mark the openings on the back of the embossed, stick the two together (d/s sticky tape) then file out to size - or what? I'm a bit concerned about the reveals ...

My work is usually 7mm but method could work on industrial building in 4.

Mark out position of windows on front.

Drill 1mm hole just inside the corners.

Flip over and draw windows correctly.

Position windows with d/s tape and add window reveals in microstrip with mekpak. Corner holes should be just visible.

Cut out window space and glue prepainted and glazed window into reveal.

I tend to back the embossed plastikard with plain 30 thou before starting, and cut an oversize hole in the building carcass for the completed windows to drop into. Often the facade is completed before the carcass.

This is only one way of skinning the cat. Hope it helps.