Hi Jerry,
Sorry to hear you had to go to hospital :O
And sorry to hear you haven't been feeling too well since...

Just wanted to say, I only just caught up with this little layout, and it's looking great
Really like what you have done with the backscene - it does give the scene a sense of place, and pulls the whole thing together

Anyhow, keep up the modelling matey - and moreover, take care of yourself & get well soon :)

EDIT: PS. If you continue a little bit of ballasting underneath the bridge - it's surprising what a positive difference that makes too
Of course, whether you do this depends on any future plans you may have re extending the layout etc
But it does work, and helps fool the eye into believing the railway continues beyond the offstage area...

Edited by marc smith

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry get well soon mate and will look forward to your progress with the layout when you are felling better.;)

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jim.

Thank you for your nice words and those track plans/layout ideas, I do like those.

I will add some of my ideas too at some point.

I do have a an artists box that I bought for a pound at a car boot sale, I'm going to put a layout in it at some point, I do seem to like the small sidings, goods yard type of layout at the moment.

Please feel free to add your own plans, ideas everyone.

Jerry.

Hello Jerry ... get well soon.

I've got a couple of these boxes. I think they are more robust and versatile than box files. I would like to try cutting the base of the box along a wavy line like this, and gluing the off-cut onto the lid (hinges at the back in this sketch):

post-14389-0-72350300-1529347873.jpg

The lid might be the base for the fiddle yard, with a backscene pushed into the gap between lid and box, or maybe the lid would open only 90 degrees and be the backscene. Either way, the track bed could be part way up the base of the box, with the ground dropping away to one corner. For example, for coal drops or similar.

- Richard.

Hi Richard.

Thank you for your get well message.

I like your idea, can I ask where you got the boxes from?

I myself would probably use the lid for a fiddle yard and the box for the layout.

In a earlier post I mentioned I would put some ideas up for you.

First of is a simple nuclear flask transfer point, just two tracks coming off a Y point, a gantry crane across both tracks for unloading / loading and the crane would be big enough to also load/unload from a lorry too.

Parameter chain link fence all round with a gate for trains to enter/leave.

In the foreground either low relief houses on an embankment or tress and a access road.

Very simple layout for someone with limited space.

More soon.

Jerry.

• RMweb Premium

This is the box I "drew", I bought it at a local charity shop. It is made from quite a lightweight sort of wood but the joints are nicely done:

post-14389-0-93495000-1529436057_thumb.jpg

I suspect to make it into a layout you would want to remove the hinges and add new ones across the narrow end.

My other artist's box is much shallower, I keep my toy cars in it. It would really only be good for a diorama, not a working micro.

I have seen larger wooden boxes like the sort to use as a writing desk at boot sales. Condition can be very variable and I bought one with woodworm in it by mistake and ended up taking it to the dump.

- Richard.

Hi Richard.

Nice artists box that, I bought one from a car boot sale and I'm going to put a small layout in it at some point.

I'm thinking small goods yard, 3 sidings accessed via a sector plate.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Feeling a bit better today I have done some work to the layout.

I started work at the very front of the layout which is still drying in the photo.

Here is a photo:

post-9096-0-16209300-1529695776_thumb.jpg

I added ground cover by borrowing an idea from Shildon Shunter which is painted sandpaper ( Black in this case ) and it gives a nice effect for a coal yard, I also started to paint the coal staithes which need further painting and I also added some greenery.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 5

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry really nice work on your layout really like the ground covering and pleased the sandpaper method has come in helpful. Pleased your feeling a little better today Jerry looking forward to seeing your next progress o the layout.:)

Hi Everyone.

Thanks to you all for your replies and support etc.

The paint I used was Citadel ( By Games Workshop ) Abbadon Black, they are acrylic and I find them pretty good, a tad pricey though at £2.30 ish a pot.

I'm going to be busy today so may not get to do any work, next jobs are finish ballasting and adding details.

Jerry.

It’s amazing what a difference a bit of shrubbery makes.

I like the idea of using sandpaper for ground texture, what grade did you use?

I imagine it would be lighter than gluing on ballast across the same area, and less likely to flake off.

On a small layout like this having it dead flat would be fine, but on a bigger area I wonder if you could pack it up with card for subtle contours? Maybe moistening the paper to give it some give? Hmm, I’ll have to experiment when I start my layout. :-)

Hi Thunderforge, I am not sure what grade the sandpaper is, I bought a 20 sheet pack from B&M for £1.99 and just used the coarser of the bunch.

Jim:

Hello Jim, very kind of you to say so, thanks.

Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

I have been very busy lately and we are moving house soon so haven't really had any time for modelling.

I did get a few bits very cheap at a car boot sale today though so these will be added soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

No work will be done on the layout now until September as it's been packed along with everything else for our house move, I will continue with it once we get settled in.

Jerry.

Thanks Paul.

Hi Everyone.

We have been busy packing all our stuff up and trying to sort the remainder out, it's surprising how much junk you can accumulate.

Hopefully I will be modelling soon once we move in.

Jerry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul.

Hi Everyone.

We have been busy packing all our stuff up and trying to sort the remainder out, it's surprising how much junk you can accumulate.

Hopefully I will be modelling soon once we move in.

Jerry.

It is quite dreadful how it builds up. I had a clear out barely a year ago, but I started a fresh sort through of everything today. I am putting things into an important box labelled "parts for layout", a less important but larger box labelled "layout parts" and a plastic crate for things I will never use or can buy again if I really need them. I have a cousin with two young sons, both mad on model trains. Hopefully she will take the crate.

- Richard.