• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 ianLMS

ianLMS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:59

Another question concerning controllers that I had not thought about before now is where I am the supply is roughly 10v less than it is in the UK so will say a Gaugemaster one actually work here ?

I know for a fact UK hair clippers do not but laptop power packs do, also a UK model Toshiba TV works...  

A question for the electricians in the group!! A quick read would suggest that the UK is converting to 230v anyway, so my quess is that the guagemaster transformer would be ok.

The issue however might be the Hz rating.  Again - best to talk to an electrician or Gaugemaster themselves. Their technical specification sheet isn't very "technical" or "specific".

#27 Joseph_Pestell

Joseph_Pestell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,489 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:43

Current in the UK often drops below the nominal minimum of 220.

No problem for a model railway transformer. Just means that your maximum output will not be 12V but more like 11V so max train speed will be less. Most run too fast at 12V anyway.

#28 The Johnster

The Johnster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,034 posts
  • LocationThe mean streets of inner-city Cardiff

Posted 08 June 2018 - 00:40

This is a drop in voltage of about 5 or 6% at any setting of the controller, and might have an effect on slow running, especially in N gauge where the braking effect and friction from gear trains has a more significant impact on the running.  Top speeds are, I agree, far too high anyway; slow, smooth, controlled, running is far more important!

#29 andyrids

andyrids

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 15:39

Thanks for the replies guys... I emailed the Gaugemaster site and they actually recommended a Kato controller and transformer since they have a 110v and 240v switch apparently and are less sensitive to inconsistent voltages or words to that effect...   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: N Guage, Questions