63 replies to this topic

#51 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEarby

Posted 21 June 2018 - 23:17

Here is Part 7 - I'm afraid it is a bit of a marathon...

I'm starting to add the frame spacers. Things take a bit longer as I put the first one in the wrong position! On the plus side, it means I get to show you how to correct such a mistake.

The footage for the next 2 parts is in the can (8 = Erecting the frames, 9 = Simpson springs), but I probably won't have time to edit it until after the weekend.

• Like x 4
  • Informative/Useful x 3
  • Thanks x 1

#52 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEarby

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:50

It was really good to see Andy making progress with his Jubilee at our 2mm group meeting on Thursday evening. John also showed us a part-built example which "only" needs its valve-gear assembling...

I didn't take any pictures, but perhaps the builders may be persuaded to upload one or two?

Anyway, it has taken a little longer than I'd hoped to get back to this, but here at last is part 8, where I finish off the spacers and assemble the main frames:

• Like x 6
  • Thanks x 3

#53 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:13

Yet another excellent installment Nick. I've attached a picture of the little fold up frame assembly bobbins that come with all Bob Jones kits, they really are useful. As you can see I've modified one set so they can slip over a bearing without being trapped once the frames are soldered up.

I have a spare unassembled set - see photo -  so if anybody wants them they are yours for an SAE. PM me, first come first serve.

Jerry

IMG_05161.JPG

Edit to say that the frame spacer etches have been claimed

Edited by queensquare, 01 July 2018 - 11:24 .

• Like x 2

#54 Chris Higgs

Chris Higgs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:11

Yet another excellent installment Nick. I've attached a picture of the little fold up frame assembly bobbins that come with all Bob Jones kits, they really are useful. As you can see I've modified one set so they can slip over a bearing without being trapped once the frames are soldered up.

I have a spare unassembled set - see photo -  so if anybody wants them they are yours for an SAE. PM me, first come first serve.

Jerry

attachicon.gifIMG_05161.JPG

Edit to say that the frame spacer etches have been claimed

I am not sure how you can use these on frames unless they have the frame extensions with a hole in to do the alignment, as Bob's kits all do.

Surely the modeified one will space the frames the correct distance apart (if you have single thickness frames) but cannot actually do any aligning?

Chris

#55 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:59

I am not sure how you can use these on frames unless they have the frame extensions with a hole in to do the alignment, as Bob's kits all do.

Surely the modeified one will space the frames the correct distance apart (if you have single thickness frames) but cannot actually do any aligning?

Chris

The 1.5mm axle steel and external bobbin type retainers hold the allignment - I have the old Association ones with a grub screw. I've quickly mocked up what I mean in the photo on one of Bob Jones chassis which is destined for another 3F. This shows the frame extensions Chris refers to which means normally you would put the temporary spacers at the ends whist soldering up the frames so wouldn't neccesarily need my modified spacers. They come into their own with scratchbuilt chassis which dont have the frame extensions although there is of course no reason why they cant be included and, particularly with small tankies, it would probably be beneficial to do so.

IMG_05171.JPG

Jerry

• Like x 1

#56 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 01 July 2018 - 13:27

A final picture which shows my full armory of spacers and bobbins which take into account different thickness frames, different types of spacer etc - you cant have too many!

One of my modified Jones assembly spacers is seen propped up above the axle. Because the p/b bearing is proud of the frame on the inside simply enlarging the hole in it is no good as it would be trapped - hence the slot.

When I dug out the 3F chassis bits I noted that there was another set of Jones etches there so if anybody else wants some pm me

Jerry

IMG_05181.JPG

• Like x 2

#57 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEarby

Posted 10 July 2018 - 19:18

Part 9 is here at last, where I'm demonstrating how to attach the tender drawbar support bracket to the rear frame spacer without unsoldering it from the frames...

• Like x 2
  • Informative/Useful x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#58 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEarby

Posted 11 July 2018 - 00:20

Hot on the heels of Part 9 comes Part 10, in which I finally get round to making the Simpson springs.

Incidentally, there is a wire works in Wokington called Simpson Springs. Forget Northern Wire - this would make a great lineside industry. Then there's the Simpson Spring bottling plant in Massachusetts...

• Informative/Useful x 3
  • Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#59 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationBiggar, South Lanarkshire

Posted 11 July 2018 - 21:00

Simpson springs are usually delivered in one of these

DSCN1760.JPG

Jim  :jester:

• Like x 9

#60 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEarby

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:12

Part 11 is a bumper episode, featuring the assembly of the bogie frames and fitting the bogie pivot to the main frames.

• Like x 3
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#61 MrSimon

MrSimon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • LocationLondon W6

Posted 14 July 2018 - 17:25

These videos are great - thank you for taking the time to do them!

Without wanting to spoil a future instalment, do I need to take anything off the axle muffs to make space for the Simpson Spring?

Thanks
Simon

#62 queensquare

queensquare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 14 July 2018 - 17:34

Part 11 is a bumper episode, featuring the assembly of the bogie frames and fitting the bogie pivot to the main frames.

Another excellent installment Nick. Can I make one suggestion. I suspect that when soldering in the bogie pivot the main heatsink is the metal vice its in, not the casting.A couple of little slips of ply cheeks in the vice to insulate the metal jaws from the frames would do the trick.

Keep them coming, looking forward to the next installment.

Jerry 

#63 Caley Jim

Caley Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationBiggar, South Lanarkshire

Posted 14 July 2018 - 18:35

One of our first exercises in metal work class at school was to make a set of voice grips out of aluminium sheet to protect the workpiece from the serrated jaws of the vice. I now have a set made in card to prevent the 'heat sink' effect. If/when they get a bit charred it's a simple matter to make a new set.

Jim

#64 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEarby

Posted 15 July 2018 - 13:01

I suspect that when soldering in the bogie pivot the main heatsink is the metal vice its in, not the casting.A couple of little slips of ply cheeks in the vice to insulate the metal jaws from the frames would do the trick.

That's a good thought, Jerry. The pivot and the spacer I was soldering it to are separated from the main frames and vice jaws by the double sided PCB insulation pads. I had assumed they wouldn't transfer heat that well, but being so thin, maybe they do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2mm Finescale, 2FS, Peco Jubilee, LMS