TTS decoder in a Bachman 22 pin class 37

Shedmaster 47

Hi all ..Apologies if this had been covered elsewhere, i have looked at some threads but still would like some advice...

I have an Bachman 2l pin intetface DCC loco with factory fitted vab lights and Red tail lights ... I would very much loke to fit s Hornby TTS Sound chip into it .WITHOUT Burning out the chip !!

Can anyone advize ad to best CV settings to ensure a smooth crawl start off speed please???

I fitted one to an EIGHT pin bachman 37 recently and it wad quite jerky untill i altered CV's

153 and 154. It ran a bit better

But when i altered CV 10 to the alterative setting ( 1 i think ) it ran faster....FOR A FEW. FEET .

Now the TTS decoder. seams DEAD

as its no longer responfing to

Light sound or movement requests from me!! ...Even aftet doing a CV8. to 8 Factory reset!!

With this in mind i DON'T

Want to install another TTS decoder into my other Bachman 37 ( with cab lights fitted) and find this TOO burns out!!

Any advice would be greatly welcomed...

Thanks.

Allan.

Thanks Richard

I will give them a ring

I just needed a bit of reassurance i suppose , that what i wad planning to do wouldnt cause desstruction of the chip !!

PS ...Already got a 21 to 8 pin plate to fit on the leads ..

Body won't fit if it's used used as an adapter.....

Thsnks for your help ..

• RMweb Gold

I have one in an earlier Bachmann 8 pin 37 and is abit jerky on initial movement.

I thought this was a mechanical issue didn't realise it was down to the CV!

I really near to learn about these as I have some locos which seem to 'coast' for ages and will hit the stops, a 40 the deafens you and a feeble sounding 37......

Yes, CV 150 selects either algorithm 1 (select 0) or algorithm 2 (select 1). See which one controls the motor with less stuttering.  Then fine tune CVs 151 and 152 if using algorithm 1, or 153 and 154 if using algorithm 2 to get it smooth.  I have found that changing CV10 (Back EMF) doesn't have much effect. Changing CV3 (accelleration) and CV4 (decelleration) helps to get smooth starts and stops.

It takes time to fine tune these decoders but well worth it.  I have fitted 12 diesel locos of different classes, Hornby "high spec" and Bachmann, and all have required different CVs even the same manufacturers model class!

Plug and play they certainly aren't, but for £35 ish each I think they are really good.  Especially if you upgrade the speakers. 

On my Bachmann 8 pin 37 429 I found that the following CV's suited it very well:

CV3=100, CV4=30, CV150=1, CV151=25, CV152=5, CV153=30, CV154=1.

I use NCE Powercab - other makes of controller will possibly produce different results.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that , hopefully its one of those things that once you start doing it it becomes easier as it sounds very compilated.

Can you reset them back to factory settings and if you give it a new number do you have to reset the CVs again?

Thanks very much indeef cravensmufman. Thats just the kind of info i wad aftet ..thanks for the video too ....it was THIS very loco that mine was installed into ...

Will try again witj the othet loco ( 21 pin ) and post my results..thanks again ...

Allan

Thanks for that , hopefully its one of those things that once you start doing it it becomes easier as it sounds very compilated.

Can you reset them back to factory settings and if you give it a new number do you have to reset the CVs again?

Yes you can indeed change the loco address without changing the CV settings.  No need to reset decoder.

One thing I always do is when I get all the settings perfect, then I read the CVs back from the loco on the program track, and be sure to write them down.  I have a separate notebook.

Very occasionally I get a runaway or "cannot read" (not just TTS, I had a couple of problems with ESU Loksound v4 too) and sometimes I do need to do a full decoder CV8 to 8 reset to get it back.  Some of the TTS take an hour to get right so that's why I always write them down!

Edited by cravensdmufan

It does get easier Russ - it took me ages to get my head round it all!  Just a question of trying different combinations.

You can always do a full decoder reset CV8 to 8 if it all goes wrong, and start again.  I tend to write values down as I go along then if you get it nearly right then it all goes wrong, at least you have a better starting point from where to carry on!

If you check out my cravensdmufan YouTube channel you'll see a few TTS that I've done - some of them I've put the CV numbers in the comments.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Premium

Rather than writing the settings down a Sprog and JMRI will save all your settings for you. Very easy to use too, I have a separate length of track away from the layout for programming.

• RMweb Gold

Rather than writing the settings down a Sprog and JMRI will save all your settings for you. Very easy to use too, I have a separate length of track away from the layout for programming.

I'm a bit old to be having kids now!

Seriously though what is a sprog?

I have a siding in the depot with a double pole switch which can be the programming track.

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit old to be having kids now!

Seriously though what is a sprog?

I have a siding in the depot with a double pole switch which can be the programming track.

It is a cheap DCC interface that connects to a computer and uses the free JMRI software

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/shop.shtml

Link to the website.

Edit: if you decide to get one, scroll down the page for the power supply.

Edited by dhjgreen

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that but if it were written in Chinese it would make the same amount of sense to me at present.

I have no idea with computers at all, electrics yes but computers no

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that but if it were written in Chinese it would make the same amount of sense to me at present.

I have no idea with computers at all, electrics yes but computers no

No computer knowlege is required other than downloading the software. What you get is a series of pages showing the setting of the CVs. Very easy to use and much easier than just sending values from a DCC controller.

Just thought i would let you know that my convetsion and sound installation into a bachman class 37 using a TTS chio was a success.

will try to add A video link if i can work out how too ....

Many thanks got your help

NO. CV's were altered at all !!

• Like 2

Just thought i would let you know that my convetsion and sound installation into a bachman class 37 using a TTS chio was a success.

will try to add A video link if i can work out how too ....

Many thanks got your help

NO. CV's were altered at all !!

Great stuff - looking and sounding very good.

Thankyou.

Every mow and then the sound and lightd will stop , although the lico still kerps crawling ..!!

Press F1. and all is well again with sounds and the ligjs come on again ( strange, ad they are on F0 )...i put this down to dirty track at first so cleaned it with track magic etc....the sound and lights

" outage" still hapoens now and again !!! Run at a normal speed ( on my 3foot test track ) and it keeps its voice and lights !!!

A thermal trip kicking in due to overload maybe ?? Puzzling.

Any ideas ??? Thanks

Are the loco's wheels and pick ups clean? Dirt is usually the cause of cut outs.

But I did have a similar problem a while back where locos were losing sound and running away (all brands of decoder) on one section of the layout. I then found that there was a dodgy connection to the rail section causing a power drop. Rest of layout was OK.

Hi Cravensdmufan ...

Its actually not been run on the layout as yet !! The short srction i used to video from, is actualky my seperate programing line ( i use an NCE powercab ) and its just 3 feet long !!

So it can't be a power drop !!

If wheels were that mucky, surely it wouldnt "crawl" for as far as it does without cuttong out almost immediately??......

Ave cleaned 'em just to be sure.

Still puzzled !!!

Thankyou. Anyways.......

Allan

When you say resets the whole decoder does that mean it goes back to how it was bought or completely erases it?

Puts it back to ex-factory settings.

You cannot delete the sound files on a TTS decoder by ‘accident’ - or any other way to the best of my knowledge.

Rob