Photo

The Nutley, Crowborough and Groombridge Light Railway - Fictional Narrow Gauge in East Sussex!

009 pre-grouping lbsc dcc 4mm scratchbuilding kitbuilding narrow gauge

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationHailsham, East Sussex

Posted 18 May 2018 - 21:19

Hopefully I will be able to at some point in the near future!

I had not imagined any particularly "big" locos on the line, but I do like the look of that! I could imagine it pulling a fair number of bolster wagons loaded up with timber!

Gary

EDIT: that little 0-4-4-0 does look very nice!!!

Edited by BlueLightning, 18 May 2018 - 21:19 .

• Agree x 2

#102 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationRoyal Wootton Bassett

Posted 19 May 2018 - 15:41

“Darling, who are these perfectly frightful people who are hacking their way through our shrubbery?”
“Feller told me you hired them to plan an extension to the rockery,”
“I never did anything of the kind, I’m putting heathers down there”
“Damme, what? Here, you! Beggar orff! And take your blasted telescope and stripey poles before I set the dogs on you!”
  • Funny x 6

#103 RedGemAlchemist

RedGemAlchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationGreat Ellingham, Norfolk, England

Posted 19 May 2018 - 18:19

“Darling, who are these perfectly frightful people who are hacking their way through our shrubbery?”
“Feller told me you hired them to plan an extension to the rockery,”
“I never did anything of the kind, I’m putting heathers down there”
“Damme, what? Here, you! Beggar orff! And take your blasted telescope and stripey poles before I set the dogs on you!”

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.

• Funny x 4
  • Like x 1

#104 Killian keane

Killian keane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 22:16

I think your George England is a rather logical choice for the South East of England, being situated in New Cross and having the closest rail connection with the LBSCR
Of course if you wanted to go completely off the rails (sorry!) you could do a narrow gauge version of the Titfield Thunderbolt

Attached Thumbnails

• Thunderboltmerged-1all.jpg

• Like x 10
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#105 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • LocationHailsham, East Sussex

Posted 19 May 2018 - 22:39

Don't tempt me!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#106 Annie

Annie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted Yesterday, 05:26

Oh now I do like that.  If I was still building railway models I'd be getting my tools out to knock one up in 1/16th scale  G1dDhSj.png

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 2

#107 sir douglas

sir douglas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationWakefield

Posted Yesterday, 06:31

very believable, i actually thought it was real for a minute

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#108 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Yesterday, 07:55

Clever fake, because it is very clearly based on a real design or two, probably mainly ‘quarry hunslet’.

Colin Binnie?

England and Co ceased to be a locomotive manufacturer about thirty years prior to the dates under discussion, so any England engine is going to be deeply secondhand.
  • Informative/Useful x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#109 RedGemAlchemist

RedGemAlchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:33

Very charming, I think. I'd say go for it Gary!

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!  :jester:

• Agree x 4
  • Like x 1

#110 Andy Kirkham

Andy Kirkham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:42

Colin Binnie?

Yes, if you enlarge it you can see his signature.

• Like x 3
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#111 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Yesterday, 19:57

Very clever chap. His whimsical freelance things always looked plausible, if highly eccentric in some cases, because he had a very sound grasp of engineering. Peter Barnfield, who draws the wonderful ‘steam pencil’ series is similar: total whimsy, to the degree where they are set in Whimshire, but, if you were so inclined, you could probably build, and make work, every one of them (OK, quite a few of his contraptions would overbalance as soon as a light breeze blew, but ......). http://www.titfield....eld/PB_main.htm

Talking of whimsical railways of the imagination, I’m fairly sure that John Pudney, author and broadcaster who lived at Fairwarp, not far off of our route, just beyond Duddleswell (these are real place, should anyone doubt), wrote a book for children about a fictional ‘Hartwarp Light Railway’. Anyone else recall it?
  • Like x 6
  • Agree x 1

#112 RedGemAlchemist

RedGemAlchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:20

Very clever chap. His whimsical freelance things always looked plausible, if highly eccentric in some cases, because he had a very sound grasp of engineering. Peter Barnfield, who draws the wonderful ‘steam pencil’ series is similar: total whimsy, to the degree where they are set in Whimshire, but, if you were so inclined, you could probably build, and make work, every one of them (OK, quite a few of his contraptions would overbalance as soon as a light breeze blew, but ......). http://www.titfield....eld/PB_main.htm

Just been looking at the Whimshire stuff. M8 looks very much like the sort of scene that might be seen on my own KLR

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 1

#113 Killian keane

Killian keane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:32

A very creative man was Mr Binnie, you can find a lot of his stuff on this site http://wfvr.webs.com...hotoid=46365937

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180419_205825.png
  • IMG_20180404_201113.png
  • IMG_20180405_103214.png
  • IMG_20180405_102707.png

• Like x 6

#114 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Today, 06:15

Above lies the secret. Three of those are real locos, and the top one is an adaptation of a Lewin design, to turn it into a practical live-steam model. The line between fact and imagination is almost non-existent.

Edited by Nearholmer, Today, 06:24 .

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#115 Midland Mole

Midland Mole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationWorcestershire

Posted Today, 06:33

The joys of freelance modelling! Breaking free of the shackles, slipping the bonds of the "rules" of realism! A modelling pirate sailing the oceans of fun and imagination! ;)

There is nothing that could drag me back to non-freelance modelling now I have tasted it's freedom.

Alex

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 009, pre-grouping, lbsc, dcc, 4mm, scratchbuilding, kitbuilding, narrow gauge