Melbourne trams for sale cheap

Here's the 'Official Line' as a PDF. In the case of many of the 134 trams being offered, they will basically be body shells having already had many bits and pieces removed to keep the 'City Circle' fleet going over the past 20 - 30 years. Nevertheless it's preferable to see them 'recycled' in a sense rather than simply scrapped, but just how many will still be left over when submissions close and allocations are made remains to be seen.

Graeme

VICTRACK - Retired Trams Strategy - May 2018.pdf

• RMweb Gold

I do like the look of that one which has been converted into accommodation.

As it happens, we have recently received planning permission for "caravans". At the price we are being quoted for them, it might just be worth transporting a tram 12,000 miles. Getting it into place on site may be rather difficult! (As will persuading SWMBO that it's a good idea).

I love these trams. Sadly the postage may be a little steep, and I am not convinced Mrs Dreyfus would want one of these in the garden...although she is after a summer house.

Just make sure you get the packaging right, you wouldn't want to have to send it back because it had been damaged in transit

Am I right in thinking that Melbourne trams are 5'3" gauge?

No, all standard gauge. There was only one 5'3" gauge line run by the VR (Victorian Railways) from St. Kilda to Brighton Beach which closed in 1956. The VR also ran a standard gauge tramway from Sandringham to Black Rock. Some history here: http://www.hawthorntramdepot.org.au/papers/vrtram.htm

Graeme

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

What's the 1:1 equivalent of HO on EM track ;)

Nice to see they are offering them free to schools etc that use them for public means.

I have often wondered why Irish railway modellers did not adopt either 18.2 or 18.83 at 1/87. Being a non-mechanical person, I would much rather alter scale to fit available mechanical "stuff".

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Topicality alert! Mrs Dreyfus was watching Neighbours tonight. Carl Kennedy has just bought a former Melbourne tram and convinced the blaggard Paul Robinson to install it in his new development. Legend...he has just gone up in my estimation as my favourite soap character...which is a pretty small list, basically consisting of Joe Mangle and Seth Armstrong from Emmerdale.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2018 at 00:08, Joseph_Pestell said:

Am I right in thinking that Melbourne trams are 5'3" gauge?

Incorrect, they are standard gauge. I believe it was felt that there was no need for them to be compatible with the Victorian Government Railways 5' 3" gauge.

Here's a link to some slightly modified W Class trams! 912 can be seen from the road.

https://adventuresallaround.com/vintage-tram-stays-a-fun-new-way-to-visit-the-yarra-valley/