• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ossygobbin

ossygobbin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:58

after pondering for a few years its about time i got stuck in (isn't it owd bob) i was intending moving and getting the garden i really wanted but that's out of the question for the time being (oh well).

so here is a couple of pics showing the planning. i dont know if i should use sticks or blocks, both have advantages and disadvantages. the space is about 36ft x 13ft and slopes about 2ft 6in towards the house. comments advice etc welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180515_094801s.jpg
  • IMG_20180514_143810s.jpg

• Like x 2

#2 Andrew1974

Andrew1974

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNear Wigan

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:02

I don’t know anything about SM32 but what is the other, clearly much bigger, railway I can see?

#3 ossygobbin

ossygobbin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:17

I don’t know anything about SM32 but what is the other, clearly much bigger, railway I can see?

5" narrow gauge

Attached Thumbnails

• P5150023.JPG

• Like x 5
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#4 hayfield

hayfield

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:37

5" narrow gauge

Now that's what I call a train set, looks really great.

• Agree x 3

#5 44690

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationWarrington

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:08

I wish I'd bought my house with a garden railway in mind. I've been thinking about a railway in my garden for over 10 years. I'm hoping to start this year, but at the moment it is just that. A hope!

Good luck with it.

Ian

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#6 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCannock Staffs

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:57

Good to see you about again, ossy. Look forward to reading of your progress with the 16mm railway. Those Rustons in 5" gauge are great fun. I have run one at the Llanelli MES track in Pembrey Park in the past days when I could lift the things.

Regards

#7 The Oily Rag

The Oily Rag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCannock Staffs

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:05

I'm on the move again shortly I hope to a level garden with some raised beds already in place. However its not too cheap but I did find a useful product called "WOODBLOCX" on the 'net for building things in the garden like raised beds etc. Its wood guaranteed for 15years and is a bit like a grown up LEGO set. I didn't think it was cheap but it is quick and I was planning to use it here as we have a compound slope in two directions  in an area 36ft by 30feet. 1foot down to the right and about 2 feet back towards the house.

Hopefully the worst of that will go away with the move but that was the direction I was going this year. The other thing I had looked at was some blocking from Marshalls which interlocks together without mortar. It looked good to me but you had to buy it by the pallet of about 90 blocks at a time. Must look up the name again.

Regards

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#8 Owd Bob

Owd Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationLeigh, Lancs'

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:31

Nice to see you out of hibernation Ossy! :mosking: The 5" is looking grand in those pics' and the 32mm looks well sited where it is, and at least its fully off the ground most of the way around judging by the way you have it set up on those sticks. Those interlocking blocks of O.R.'s sound ideal for the raised bits Ossy, and should be easy to lay for you. :)

• Like x 2