about time i built my SM32 layout

I am currently building garden walls as both front and back gardens suffered greatly from building work we had last year and as the back garden slopes upward from the house I am having to dig out the patio which is 5m x 4m. Firstly if you shop around builders merchants you can get excellent prices, example 1 ton bag of ballast or sharp sand £36 per bag + VAT delivered. Wicks are doing bags of cement £4 each inc VAT if you buy 3 or more

It is quite easy to knock up a bit of ballast by hand if you pace yourself and don't do too much in one go. All my bricks are reclaimed as we had several walls removed during the building and I just sorted out the whole bricks after the builders had gone (saving me the cost of disposing of them). However if you search various local websites bargains can be had buying surplus materials from others projects

As for laying concrete dry, I have done this with fence posts before with success but tipped water over the mix after filling the hole, for the foundations of my walls I put it in wet, as its quite solid and workable in a couple of days.  One thing to think about especially as the trackbed will last for some time is, it will be as good as its weakest part

Good luck, wish I could get permission to run my 0 gauge stuff in the garden

I am currently building garden walls as both front and back gardens suffered greatly from building work we had last year and as the back garden slopes upward from the house I am having to dig out the patio which is 5m x 4m. Firstly if you shop around builders merchants you can get excellent prices, example 1 ton bag of ballast or sharp sand £36 per bag + VAT delivered. Wicks are doing bags of cement £4 each inc VAT if you buy 3 or more

It is quite easy to knock up a bit of ballast by hand if you pace yourself and don't do too much in one go. All my bricks are reclaimed as we had several walls removed during the building and I just sorted out the whole bricks after the builders had gone (saving me the cost of disposing of them). However if you search various local websites bargains can be had buying surplus materials from others projects

As for laying concrete dry, I have done this with fence posts before with success but tipped water over the mix after filling the hole, for the foundations of my walls I put it in wet, as its quite solid and workable in a couple of days.  One thing to think about especially as the trackbed will last for some time is, it will be as good as its weakest part

Good luck, wish I could get permission to run my 0 gauge stuff in the garden

Great advice, all of that. I would guess that the fence post concrete you installed dry, was the quick setting variety, which is designed to be used that way? I explored using that type when doing a part of my railway, but the costs over any great area would have been horrific! So I went back to the ordinary type, and just used a less wet mix than usual, to ensure it would not collapse when blocks were laid before it went off.

• Like 1

I think you are right Mike, i tried the fast setting post stuff only once, it went off rock hard and far too quick for my liking and it was expensive about seven quid for a small 5 kilo bag from my fading memory...it's superb stuff in an emergency though! Hayfield! i'm hoping to run my '0' gauge stuff outside one day...so i'm planning to ditch the whole lot of my 32mm narrow gauge stuff and just leave the track down for testing my '0' gauge locos' on when i've first saved up and sussed out how to remote control 'em :)  

I think you are right Mike, i tried the fast setting post stuff only once, it went off rock hard and far too quick for my liking and it was expensive about seven quid for a small 5 kilo bag from my fading memory...it's superb stuff in an emergency though! Hayfield! i'm hoping to run my '0' gauge stuff outside one day...so i'm planning to ditch the whole lot of my 32mm narrow gauge stuff and just leave the track down for testing my '0' gauge locos' on when i've first saved up and sussed out how to remote control 'em :)  

dont do it OB you will regret it.i once had a SM32 in the garden but the 5" took it over. i have some regrets about this. i should of made it easier to reinstate the SM32 when doing the 5".

• Like 1

..as my Mum always said to me when i was a kid when i wanted every toy in the shop..."your eyes are bigger than your belly" :lol:  Ossy!....like me you want it all, in all gauges and all flavours etc :crazy:  Circumstances change so i'm changing with 'em now, health wise and wealth wise i can't afford it all and i have to scale it all down :rolleyes:   :)

Edit. Are you going to Towyn this time Ossy?....or the big Hunslet loco' gathering do at the Ffesty this weekend? 

Edited by Owd Bob

Great advice, all of that. I would guess that the fence post concrete you installed dry, was the quick setting variety, which is designed to be used that way? I explored using that type when doing a part of my railway, but the costs over any great area would have been horrific! So I went back to the ordinary type, and just used a less wet mix than usual, to ensure it would not collapse when blocks were laid before it went off.

Mike

My best friend was a plasterer and his dad a general builder, just ordinary concrete dry mix which was put round a fence post, kept dry for concrete posts (if subsequently dug up can be separated from the concrete post) if using a wooden post chuch a good bit of water over it. My mates dad was a bit of a jobber and full of old fashioned dodges 

..as my Mum always said to me when i was a kid when i wanted every toy in the shop..."your eyes are bigger than your belly" :lol:  Ossy!....like me you want it all, in all gauges and all flavours etc :crazy:  Circumstances change so i'm changing with 'em now, health wise and wealth wise i can't afford it all and i have to scale it all down :rolleyes:   :)

Edit. Are you going to Towyn this time Ossy?....or the big Hunslet loco' gathering do at the Ffesty this weekend? 

That is going to be a big loss for all of us,but I fully understand that things change. Surely though, whilst we have had the very great pleasure of seeing your beautiful work on here, can you get a mag like Garden Rail or Railway Modeller, to come round and do a proper article on it, before it all disappears (as a 16mm line anyway)??

I've had an offer of doing a mag' article but i can't be bothered at the mo'....i hope i've made a real contribution to the outdoor hobby and gave folks a few good cheap ideas etc in the few years i've being doing it...i've just no interest in a lot of things at the mo' Mike...i need a long break!  :crazy: i'm keeping the Red (Katie based)saddle tank to take to local group meetings, but the rest can go as far as i'm concerned. :bye:  

• 1 month later...

well i have a plan. surveyed and parts lists done. going to start ordering wood and fence spikes on monday.

having a dumbell design with a over and under to start with. extra sidings to be added later.

going the fence spikes and wood structure so it could easily be lifted if necessary.

post-9875-0-93526500-1532807626_thumb.jpg

post-9875-0-25734100-1532807648_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi ossy

be careful of gradients manual locos tend to run away on the down ward levels, gradients running into curves can cause serious problems too  .I put mine on the level and load the engine with wagons to make it work hard even adding weight if needed. When feeling lazy minimum load low steam pressure and let it meander around the garden while supping a mug of tea, get a good run that way .

phil

• Like 1

Hi ossy

be careful of gradients manual locos tend to run away on the down ward levels, gradients running into curves can cause serious problems too  .I put mine on the level and load the engine with wagons to make it work hard even adding weight if needed. When feeling lazy minimum load low steam pressure and let it meander around the garden while supping a mug of tea, get a good run that way .

phil

77 the gradient is about 1 in 50, what was yours ?

77 the gradient is about 1 in 50, what was yours ?

First layout about 1 in 60 ,  second ,completely level the laser levels are excellent . I run a manual coal fired edrigg, so decided to build flat to aid running and save water ,the on board water pump is only small and pumping in by hand through the enots valve is a pain being an 0-4-0.

post-3023-0-04087400-1532860050_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see you finally making a start Ozzy :sungum:  It'll soon be up and running at this rate of construction.  :)  

had to bite the bullet some time bob.

wanted a proper landscaped railway but the space and slope etc said otherwise so anything better than nothing.

maybe able to do something at the top where the track is nearer to the ground.

• Like 1