Model Rail Announcement

Chris Gad

Thanks. FWIW, the survey did ask that if they did the E1, would we be interested in the E1R as well so maybe a follow on or completely put to one side due to poor results.

Personally, I really fancied the E1R because of its west country connection. However, it would require a completely different set of tools and that is not viable. (CJL)

Is there a photo of one next to a Terrier anywhere for size comparison?

Yes.

This is in fact the special E1, No.157, which had a larger boiler fitted (an extra 3" to the diameter), but otherwise the dimensions remained as the standard E1, so it should give you some idea.

post-25673-0-77162200-1528149588_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Yes.

This is in fact the special E1, No.157, which had a larger boiler fitted (an extra 3" to the diameter), but otherwise the dimensions remained as the standard E1, so it should give you some idea.

Thanks for that =) so just a bit more 'stretched' really, I did find a photo of one either double headed or on shed behind a D1 (which would also be welcome, should any companies be reading)

If the whispers I hear are correct then a D1 will perhaps occur at some point, but from where, when and who I have not the foggiest.

At any rate, the differences between the E1's and D1's that I can gather are:

D1 has larger wheels and splashers, and obviously an 0-4-2T not an 0-6-0T.

Beyond that, not much difference!

• RMweb Gold

That'll do nicely, 1608 on the Mortonhampstead Goods!

Thanks, that's the Newton Abbot one's duties accounted for.

The only others I can find allocated in the West Country in the 1950s are one each at Taunton (1668) and Laira (1650), plus three at St Blazey (1624/6, 1664).

The very small numbers suggest similarly specific regular work. 

I was rather hoping Weymouth had one or two to give me half an excuse to run one alongside my 1366...…..

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How to wreck a masterpiece of artistic engineering...

The E1s supposedly weren't up to the increasing workload on their home turf in the 1920's, being displaced by larger types such as the E2 and E4.

A relatively major rebuild of such old locos suggests a certain amount of desperation to get some useful service out of them.

It was, therefore,  probably that or scrapping, the fate that befell most of the remaining unmodified locos and all of the passenger equivalents, (the D1 0-4-2Ts) after an abortive attempt to modify a few of them for use on the Lyme Regis branch.

I rather like the look of the E1R, it's got more than a hint of the Great Eastern, think.

I only ever saw one of them (after withdrawal) because, as with many other "ancient relics", they were seen off by the arrival of the superb Ivatt 2MT tanks in the late 1950s.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

If the whispers I hear are correct then a D1 will perhaps occur at some point, but from where, when and who I have not the foggiest.

Generally similar above the running plate apart from the size of the splashers.

Trying to make one set of tools capable of producing both would smack of choosing to do things the hard way, though.  

Kernow getting a G6 out of their existing O2 would be much easier.......

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 1960s Wills body kit for the E1 certainly offered D1 parts, and could be built as either.

• RMweb Gold

Yes.

Stroudley was looking to the future with Barcelona, and even more so the posthumous 0-6-2 West Brighton, a design his successor R J Billinton happily adopted for his E3 class. These two prototypes represent the crossover to a new generation of tank locos, with increasing wheel diameter in E4 and E5 for passenger duties, and back to 4’6” for powerful goods work in E6.
  • Like 1

Shame there was no "official" update to this thread on the 7th...

There Facebook post yesterday was a bit underwhelming

"Model Rail 249 is on sale! With 2 layouts, 2 reviews and 28 pages of workbench we show you everything you need to build the perfect station. Oh and we announce our next two models."

"Model Rail 249 is on sale! With 2 layouts, 2 reviews and 28 pages of workbench we show you everything you need to build the perfect station. Oh and we announce our next two models."

Maybe they want you to buy the magazine.....

Jason

Full details are in the magazine which was published on 7th. It includes details of liveries and numbers as proposed at present for both models, and prototype photographs. We won't be putting those details on Facebook or RMweb. (CJL)

• Like 1

The 1960s Wills body kit for the E1 certainly offered D1 parts, and could be built as either.

Surprisingly for locos with a 1ft difference in driving wheel diameter (D1 - 5ft 6in / E1 - 4ft  6in) the boiler was pitched at 6ft 11in in both classes.  Above the running plate they were more or less the same (apart for the front splasher) except that the E1 bunker was 6in longer than the D1 (and it was 7in longer over the buffer beams).

Chris KT