Diesel traction & route knowledge question

A question for those who would know such things on this august forum. Would I be correct in assuming that it would be extremely unlikely to find a driver with both class 22 traction knowledge and ex Taff Vale route knowledge for the lines to Aberdare?

TIA, Tim T

I would agree it would be unlikely.

Might a driver from another depot that signed class 22s have transferred to Radyr or Aberdare and retained traction knowledge?

But then were class 22s ever authorised over those routes?

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

The 1964 WR Freight Train Loads book has pages of Maximum Loads for Diesels on the Cardiff Division,

classes shown are D15XX, D10XX, D8XX, D67XX, D7XXX and D95XX, but D63XX are not listed anywhere

cheers  

Edited by Rivercider

The 1964 WR Freight Train Loads book has pages of Maximum Loads for Diesels on the Cardiff Division,

classes shown are D15XX, D10XX, D8XX, D67XX, D7XXX and D95XX, but D63XX are not listed anywhere

cheers  

But then, neither are Peaks, D2xx and Class 25s, all of which worked regularly into Cardiff Division.

• RMweb Gold

Peaks, D2xx (rare but not unknown at Cardiff), D65xx BRCW type 3, Warships, and, also very rarely, class 25 or 20 worked into Cardiff, but not into the Valleys, even as far as Radyr until the end of the 60s.  A Valleys driver transferred from a depot with D63xx might have have retained his signature in the traction book; in those days it was pretty much regarded as the driver's word that he knew a route, and he was the one who carried the can if it turned out in any negative way when he didn't; compared to modern methods, management took a less pro-active role.

A D63xx at Canton would most probably have been there for wheel profiling, especially if there was some reason it couldn't be done at Bath Road, but may have worked a train down to Tidal, Marshalling, or Long Dyke/Newtown.  If so, it would have to have been worked back by the crew that brought it here, as Canton men never traction signed these or the Warships.  If you want to run a D63xx to Aberdare, you need Rule 1!

Edited by The Johnster

I'd have thought the nearest depot with traction knowledge would have been Gloucester or Bath Road , but even then , they'd need a route conductor up the Valley.

I suppose if they were on for making a bit of overtime it could have happened at a push.

• RMweb Gold

I believe Severn Tunnel signed them, as they regularly turned up there from Gloucester and Bristol on trip freights (East Depot and Stoke Gifford), and STJ men would have a limited amount of Cardiff valleys route knowledge.  But to all practical intents and purposes these engines are a no no in the Valleys and were extremely rare west of STJ.

Edited by The Johnster

I believe Severn Tunnel signed them, as they regularly turned up there from Gloucester and Bristol on trip freights (East Depot and Stoke Gifford), and STJ men would have a limited amount of Cardiff valleys route knowledge.  But to all practical intents and purposes these engines are a no no in the Valleys and were extremely rare west of STJ.

Oh well, eBay here we come then

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Tim.  Don't put your 22 up for sale, though; they are a pretty little thing in an odd, sad eyed, sort of way and you may need her for something else in the future!  I can think of no UK main line bogie diesel that is so compact, a boon for limited space layouts.

Sorry, Tim.  Don't put your 22 up for sale, though; they are a pretty little thing in an odd, sad eyed, sort of way and you may need her for something else in the future!  I can think of no UK main line bogie diesel that is so compact, a boon for limited space layouts.

Agree about the class 22. Mine are the only locos that see regular use on both of my layouts. See the last post on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131708-the-ridgacre-branch-a-very-small-n-gauge-layout

Edited by Chris M