BRM June '18

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

I'd better start by saying that print copies of BRM on-sale in shops do not include a FREE DVD this month. But, ALL BRM subscribers will still get a DVD and ALL Digital Edition readers will get access to the DVD footage as normal. Next month's magazine will include a free DVD on all issues. If you love the DVD and want to guarantee getting it every issue, now is the time to subscribe!

Talking of the Digital Edition, we've just enjoyed our best-ever sale with last month's new-look digital magazine. I can honestly say that this issue is even better. There are 8 extra videos, 50 extra layout images, a bonus layout article and two more trackplans. The Digital Edition goes on-sale tomorrow (May 18).

The print edition goes on-sale on May 24th.

Enjoy.

Steve

post-14186-0-41861900-1526569452.jpg

EXCLUSIVE DIGITAL EDITION CONTENT

BRM TV footage included in the Digital Edition!
8 extra videos
50 additional layout images
Extra layout article
2 bonus trackplans
Free Bachmann Scenecraft Brochure

LAYOUTS
Ingleborough Junction (OO)
Faringdon (P4)
William Smith Wharf (2FS)
Kent & North Wales Light Railway (16MM)

PRACTICAL
Build a Class 02 Shunter
Two-scale cakebox
Model better hedges
Salmon wagon build

NEWS & REVIEWS
Dapol 57XX/64XX
Minerva Gunpowder Van
Bachmann Class 70
Hatton's Beilhack Snowplough
New books

PLUS...
Cakebox Challenge
Modelling Faringdon
Louth Station
Crowdfunding
Mechanical Traveller
Tail Lamp

post-14186-0-49543900-1526569478_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-00108300-1526569508_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-14712700-1526569519_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-03222000-1526569537_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-03539100-1526569554_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-50427900-1526569570_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-27463000-1526569585_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've just had a look through this month's DVD content which is included in the digital issue (now available on Pocketmags); Phil explores behind the scenes at Doncaster show and I see quite a few readers in the crowd shots - great if you are a fan of Richard Harper's Sidmouth P4 and John Holden's Liverpool Lime Street; we get to find out just how much LLS weighs!

Does this issue include my Prototype Salmon Wagon Article as I can't see it mentioned? :mail:

It certainly does Simon; loads of nice pics to go with the feature too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent issue gents (and ladies), one of the best in my opinion. Praise where praise is due, so to elaborate:

I don't consider myself a traditionalist but I like the uncluttered, almost old school design of the feature layout pages, and the full page shots. I know this style has been developing for a while, but it's especially good here I think. Apart from being easy on the eyes, it somehow adds class. Having the digital content on separate pages also works well, I think (despite the preoccupation with red and gold  :jester:) . I think you've found the right balance there.

Excellent layouts, too. An especially pleasant surprise for me was to see Faringdon again, feels like an old friend after having read the GWR Branchline Modelling books from cover to cover so many times. The Faringdon prototype background pages add a welcome extra dimension, as do articles about development of the trade and manufacturing - such as the crowdfunding article. More of that please - I know such aspects are debated at length on here, but there is still something to be said for the good old article format when providing an overview and introduction to a topic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am utterly disgusted with the articles on Faringdon as neither of them mentions the fact that my mother used to travel to school on the train from Uffington :O .  This sort of lack of attention to detail and inadequate research is all too typical of todays model railway press;  it's almost as bad as some of the stuff we get on websites.  :jester:  :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a look through this month's DVD content which is included in the digital issue (now available on Pocketmags); Phil explores behind the scenes at Doncaster show and I see quite a few readers in the crowd shots - great if you are a fan of Richard Harper's Sidmouth P4 and John Holden's Liverpool Lime Street; we get to find out just how much LLS weighs!

The DVD was great and really enjoyed another look at LLS and Sidmouth. The one and only issue I had was the interview at the Hornby stand - although you and the Hornby fella are handsome looking chaps (so to speak), the camera man should have really focused his lense on the great models being discussed at the time - would have been far more easier on the eye!!!!

Edited by ianLMS

The DVD was great and really enjoyed another look at LLS and Sidmouth. The one and only issue I had was the interview at the Hornby stand - although you and the Hornby fella are handsome looking chaps (so to speak), the camera man should have really focused his lense on the great models being discussed at the time - would have been far more easier on the eye!!!!

I wouldn't disagree with that; certainly some illustrative cutaways would have been useful and some of the camerawork is Blair Witch. Still, Paul's always great to talk to and as you see it's not always too serious.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'd better start by saying that print copies of BRM on-sale in shops do not include a FREE DVD this month. But, ALL BRM subscribers will still get a DVD and ALL Digital Edition readers will get access to the DVD footage as normal. Next month's magazine will include a free DVD on all issues. If you love the DVD and want to guarantee getting it every issue, now is the time to subscribe!

Talking of the Digital Edition, we've just enjoyed our best-ever sale with last month's new-look digital magazine. I can honestly say that this issue is even better. There are 8 extra videos, 50 extra layout images, a bonus layout article and two more trackplans. The Digital Edition goes on-sale tomorrow (May 18).

The print edition goes on-sale on May 24th.

Enjoy.

Steve

Please could you confirm that the contents of this month's DVD shall also be made available to those of us who buy our copy of BRM through a newsagent?

Thanks.

I like the cakebox feature  :sungum:

Pete

I suspect that some people on this site might prefer the contents of a full cakebox - especially if it contains a hand iced carrot cake*.

(*Other "health foods" are also available from various retailers. Of course, there's a very compelling reason for these products being known as "health foods" - they make people feel good.)

Anyway, this reminds me that I might need to think about building my entry. In my case, ideas don't seem to be in short supply. As for the chance to build them, that seems to be a completely different matter.

Regards,

Huw.

Please could you confirm that the contents of this month's DVD shall also be made available to those of us who buy our copy of BRM through a newsagent?

As Steve posted the DVD is only with subscriber copies (posted direct rather than reserved at newsagents) and the digital edition this month.

I went into WH Smith today to buy the June edition but there was no DVD and I could not see enough to interest me in the magazine so I did not buy it.

When there was a DVD I bought the mag automatically.

It is not practical for me to take out a subscription and I can't download the digital edition on my Linux PC.

...R

As Steve posted the DVD is only with subscriber copies (posted direct rather than reserved at newsagents) and the digital edition this month.

Why? I have reserved my copy through my newsagent since issue No 1. and have never missed an issue. I pay €6.95 for my copy and I look forward to the DVD every month. No mention of this in the Editorial either.

Bad business.

Jack

Thinking about this a bit more ...

I have no doubt that making the DVD content is expensive. But making each extra disc is not. So why deprive regular readers who buy their magazine in a shop.

...R

• RMweb Gold

Why? I have reserved my copy through my newsagent since issue No 1. and have never missed an issue. I pay €6.95 for my copy and I look forward to the DVD every month. No mention of this in the Editorial either.

Bad business.

Absolutely.

I've never been keen on any moves by any magazine publisher to shaft the newsagents who help to provide them with customers - often previously loyal customers, like me.

I was also not amused when Kalmbach (publishers of Model Railroader) made all manner of online content available - but only to direct subscribers - not to those of us who make a point of supporting our local newsagents (or, in my case, live in another country anyway).

Likewise this current nonsense - which was why I made a point of inviting somebody from Warners to confirm that all the DVD content would, in time, be made available to everyone who pays for our regular copy, wherever we buy it from.

I wasn't too worried how this material would be made available - whether as part of future issues' DVDs - or even as a download link. As far as I'm concerned, making blanket statements to the effect that loyal customers like me - people who pay the full price for our magazine and full contents - somehow don't qualify for the complete package is simply not acceptable - never has been - never shall be.

I accept that some people might be less than comfortable with my question - fair enough. However, I was still asking a perfectly reasonable question - the answer to which might lead to some regular readers making perfectly reasonable decisions about whether or not to continue buying this magazine.

Thinking about this a bit more ...

I have no doubt that making the DVD content is expensive. But making each extra disc is not. So why deprive regular readers who buy their magazine in a shop.

Absolutely.

I've never had any wish to start - or get involved in any "flaming", or other "pleasantries". I've also never had any personal issues with any of the people I've encountered who work or have worked) for Warners. Far from it, in fact - all the people concerned come across as decent people, with whom I enjoy having a chat at various model exhibitions.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - especially to people whom I happen to like - but I have no plans to take out a subscription. Even if I had been considering taking one out, this move would have been guaranteed to ensure I never do.

Just for information, I've never been known for backing down on matters of principle.

Yes - yes - I know: "Never underestimate the determination of a quiet man." The fact that I don't happen to be a fan of a certain political party doesn't matter here - this soundbite has always struck me as fair comment. Anyway, this particular quiet man has every intention of being here to stay (certainly on this site). It's probably best if I let you guess what might be about to happen to the volume ... .

Anyway, my issue is not about politics - far from it, in fact. My issue here relates solely to a decision which is extremely likely to alienate a number of the loyal BRM readers Warners rely on - and a lot of the newsagents and model shops they also rely on to deliver new customers.

Not again, please. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Nice interview with our Ben on the DVD, on the enjoyment of demonstrating at exhibitions.

It's a shame I'm never likely to find out - either what was said in this interview - or how enjoyable it might be to demonstrate (or otherwise exhibit) at these events.

In fact, even though I like BRM as a magazine, I'm now in the position of having to decide whether to buy the magazine in future.

I'm willing to be convinced - but decisions like this are not the way to convince me.

Nothing personal, you understand - just business (or potential lack of it).

Regards,

Huw.

Huw, as previously stated next month's mag will have the DVD on all copies. This month is a market test to assess the DVD importance on the shelf versus production and delivery costs and investigate whether a physical DVD is the best form of delivery of additional content.

Personally I wonder how many people take a physical DVD off and put it in a player or computer versus the very high percentage who view the online content embedded in the digital edition.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

No intention to cause offence / generate "fireworks" - just an observation about the difference in what's included in different versions - and some people feeling cheated if certain content is missing and not made available to them in due course.

I suspect you might be right about how many people actually do anything with their DVDs - as opposed to just wanting to ensure that they don't miss out on something they might want to be able to watch at a later date.

Thankfully, I'm glad that, in future, we won't get anyone prominently posting detailed instructions on how to get round copyright protection measures with magazine / website content ... .*

(* I also wouldn't dream of being cynical - perish the thought ... .)

As for the best way to deliver additional content, my gut feeling would be online / download links - especially since a lot of people have access to broadband these days.

Of course, this assumes that ISPs provide something resembling the speeds claimed in their adverts - something which certainly was a problem in the days when fibre broadband wasn't available to as many areas as now (and ISPs were also allowed to be slightly more "imaginative" in their adverts).

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Administrators

No intention to cause offence / generate "fireworks" - just an observation about the difference in what's included in different versions - and some people feeling cheated if certain content is missing and not made available to them in due course.

Really? And yet you use emotive terms like "shafted"?

Persuading people to pick up a copy of any magazine on the newsstand is difficult. This is, as Andy has said, an experiment. As a man who works in science, perhaps you could suggest another method to test the market? Warners didn't become successful by sticking their collective finger in the air and guessing how things will work. Sometimes you need cold hard numbers and that's what this will give. It won't have been undertaken lightly (Neither Andy or I are privy to these discussions, but we have a little idea how the place works). 

The results will be:

Sale drop. That means sticking a DVD on the cover makes a positive difference. Budgets for production of the disk get some protection because any attempt from the bean counters can be met with "When we didn't do it, sales did THIS."

Sales stay the same. That's tricky. Maybe no-one is that bothered? Or is the brilliant content enough?

Sale go up. All the people who hurled vitriol when we first put DVDs on the cover 4 years ago are proved right at last. You will remember that the initial reaction ranged from "it's a gimmick" to people acting as though a turd had been posted to them. Many posters proudly called the DVD a beermat and boasted how they would never waste their time watching the thing. 

There is also the chance to counter the argument thrown at all magazines that we never do anything for existing subscribers - normally when another offer to entice new subscribers is announced - this month, there is a benefit. All magazines want people to subscribe, it provides a reliable income stream and more importantly, cuts out the costs associated with distribution to the newsstands. Some magazines actually sell every copy in Smiths at a loss once the costs are removed, so you can see why they want people to subscribe!

Content is not "missing" from the copies on the shelf, it's just a different offer this month. Steve was very upfront about this, we've not hidden this from anyone. To do so would reduce the effectiveness of the trial. Basically, if you don't like it, then you won't buy it. See my suggestion of how this will affect things above. This month, the "complete package" is a magazine. The DVD is an extra, a fact often advertised on the cover when the point is made that it is being given away for free. That "complete package" will change from time to time. You don't say (for example) that Railway Modeller isn't the "complete package" when there isn't a Metcalf kit stuck to the front, do you? Yet some months there is a kit, some months there isn't. 

As for "I made a point of inviting somebody from Warners to confirm that all the DVD content would, in time, be made available to everyone who pays for our regular copy," - exactly how would you prove this? Have you kept receipts for all the copies?  Or is this more fireworks?

Finally, to pick up this "I was also not amused when Kalmbach (publishers of Model Railroader) made all manner of online content available - but only to direct subscribers - not to those of us who make a point of supporting our local newsagents (or, in my case, live in another country anyway)." - the reason for this became apparent when I visited Canada. In the US and Canada, the main market for the magazine, there isn't a fully-stocked newsagent on every corner. Indeed, Toronto has no equivalent of WH Smith. The small booths that sell mags or drug stores, tend to have a dozen titles and no railway ones. Kalmbach presumably rely so heavily on subscriptions that thier business model is very different to a UK one, and it not fitting a country not the main market doesn't matter so much.

• Like 1

as previously stated next month's mag will have the DVD on all copies.

That's good news. I seem to have missed where you said it earlier - sorry.

I have come to the conclusion that I have been buying a DVD that comes with a free magazine. :)

...R