What's Happening Here - Sparking Motor

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14T19nho0c1xBZmfF49WzVTGJuyGL3u1a

I'm hoping that link will work properly.

It's a 50MB video of a train that I have that smokes and sparks a little. Sorry I couldn't get the video any lower in size :/

While I know very little about motors, and I plan to replace this with a cd tray motor if suitable, would be a good learning curve.

I know it's clearly not a happy motor.

DC train. Old.

I guess there is a little oil/grease (despite me giving it a good clean!) on the brushes (little metal bullets with springs?) or the... er... spinny thing inside the motor (the commutator?).

I know the brushes are a little sticky, so this may be the problem; although I did clean them as best I could.

Upgrading this with a new motor, DCC and LEDs will be my biggest project to date.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

Hi, it looks to me like there is a buildup of carbon from the brushes on the space between the metal contacts on the armature. What I would suggest is to clean the contact face of the armature with meths or isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud. I would also remove the brushes and clean the contact ends as well. Leave everything to dry thoroughly, then replace the brushes and try running again.

In a conclusion:

Took it apart and scraped between the circily disc ( :P). Got some gunk out from there.

Popped it in a pot of isoprop cleander and shook it about for 30 seconds.

Dried and replaced.

All good - no more sparking and working better than it has in about 25 years!

Thank you :D

• Like 1