Separate transformer for Lenz accessory decoder?

70E

I am building a 4 X 1 layout. It has three points powered by Peco point motors. These are connected to a Lenz LS150 accessory decoder.

I have a Lenz TR150 transformer and LZV100 unit. I have read that the LS150 should have a separate transformer? Is this more for larger layouts with many accessory decoders?

For three point motors and the decoder is a separate transformer over the top, could I just wire the decoder into the bus and use the one transformer?

Thanks

For longer term energy conservation, the LENZ Central Unit ought to be operated from a modern switched mode power supply - 

but I don't know if Lenz have started supplying them yet - it is an EC requirement, but only once stocks are used up of the old 50Hz transformer types. 

However, the LENZ LS150 Accessory decoder REQUIRES a traditional 50-60Hz ac transformer to supply the '16V'ac .... this is because its circuitry relies on the voltage falling to zero 100x a second to turn OFF the output when the pulse duration is up.  

UNLIKE the Roco Amplifier - which also used to rely on a traditional transformer, before it was replaced by SMPS - the Lenz Central Controller has internal Voltage regulation - so the track voltage is user-specified and constant despite any variation on load - (The Roco old transformer could allow the track voltage to reach 22V when nothing was moving ! ... now with an 18Vdc SMPS the track is set at a constant 16Vdcc - [i have Roco Multimaus systems]).

So provided the LS150 has  opto-isolation of the track(control) dcc input - so that it is electrically isolated from the AC Power input, then the Lenz combination would work with both running off the conventional transformer - using the transformer you need for the points, and self-regulating internally to avoid track voltage variation - The transformer used should be no more than 16Vac and 45VA or a 10 ohm resistor is needed in series to protect the LS150.   I think you can probably assume the dcc input (max24Vdcc) IS opto isolated.

Although I do not use Peco Point motors, but lower-power Roco types, I have successfully used spare Ikea 12Vac 'plugin lamp transformers' (20W) ...[ from before they changed to SMPS and LEDs] for the accessories - (whilst using SMPS for the track).

I have used these decoders for my points for a long time as I think they are the most reliable out there. We power ours with a Gaugemaster M1 transformer - although we have more points than you so it is useful to have a separate power supply