The Kelsby Light Railway; or, Red's Hopeful Layout

RedGemAlchemist

Broken record time.

Plan 9 in that PSL book.

If there is room, you can add to it, but the great thing about it is that it works a treat, and will fit in your space, with you in the middle,

Yes, I heard you the first time xD

I've been looking at a couple of the ones in that book actually. It really makes me realise just how overambitious I was being and just how small the area I've got to work with is. Maybe working in 00 was the wrong gauge? Well it's a bit late now for second-guessing myself on that front, especially after all the work I've put in.

The issue for me is doing the KLR justice. Kelsby, Hewe and the quarry are essential. I want to get the river in as well in order to fulfil my promise to Dad. But I just don't have the room for everything I want and there's nowhere any bigger I can put it. So yes, I'm kind of freaking out a little as my plans are falling down around my ears, I have all these engines that may have no purpose as the layout will be so small, and I don't know what I'll actually be able to fit in. Sorry if that panic is coming through in my writing.

I don't know wether you sorted the track problem.

Peco Settrack works with all sorts of flanges!

The normal Peco Coode 100 also does well. 

However, their pointwork in the Code 100 has different flange ways through the frogs of the points. My advice is, buy a point and see what happens. One point will do it 'cos the flangeways should be the same.

Chris.

I don't know wether you sorted the track problem.

Peco Settrack works with all sorts of flanges!

The normal Peco Coode 100 also does well. 

However, their pointwork in the Code 100 has different flange ways through the frogs of the points. My advice is, buy a point and see what happens. One point will do it 'cos the flangeways should be the same.

Chris.

Further confirming what Edwardian said. Thank you Chris.

Plan 9 in that PSL book.

Little update on that Nearholmer: I have been looking at Plan 32 in the book. Gives me ideas, especially as it gives a lot of room to adapt and that it's a similar design to the plan James came up with. 

• Like 1

32 has some merits, and it is fairly obviously an elaboration of 9.

It is for very short trains, which I hope you’ve spotted, and it would be pretty challenging to get a lifting-flap at a doorway into it.

The FY access well is strictly for the slender, isn’t it?

Edited by Nearholmer

32 has some merits, and it is fairly obviously an elaboration of 9.

It is for very short trains, which I hope you’ve spotted, and it would be pretty challenging to get a lifting-flap at a doorway into it.

The FY access well is strictly for the slender, isn’t it?

Well, fortunately the branch train isn't long (it'll be even shorter if I can find that elusive six-wheeler brake in the style of the four-wheelers) and I can just remove one of the blood-and-custards from the larger set. Longest thing would be quarry trains, probably about six or seven long with a brakevan, which is still shorter than the full blood-and-custard set.

And yes, it is a bit of a tight fit. Fortunately there's a good 50cm of leeway in the room. Might alter the shape of the fiddle yard access and put the quarry onto a lower section in the far end of it. Also the lifting flap may be difficult but if I can convince Mum to do it as a duck-under I should be OK.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

Just a thot concerning the 6 wheelers take a look at the Bachmann Thomas range ,Emilys coaches are 6 wheelers and look quite good, might be a flea bay purchase tho .

Hmm. Didn't think about those. Funny, as I think they were mentioned on one of SkinnyLinny's threads and I actually commented on them!

eBay - the best friend of the freelance RTRbasher on a budget. I wouldn't have half the stock of stuff I have without it. That and the endless kindness and help of my friends on here of course.

But yeah, if there's a brake coach one I keep an eye out. Since I've got to prioritise what with the smaller size now is the perfect time to try and complete the light railway train as I originally intended it.

Then it's just to figure out what to do with the MkI Suburban brake it has at the moment. I like it, and now need to find a use for it...

• Like 1

Hmm. Didn't think about those. Funny, as I think they were mentioned on one of SkinnyLinny's threads and I actually commented on them!

eBay - the best friend of the freelance RTRbasher on a budget. I wouldn't have half the stock of stuff I have without it. That and the endless kindness and help of my friends on here of course.

But yeah, if there's a brake coach one I keep an eye out. Since I've got to prioritise what with the smaller size now is the perfect time to try and complete the light railway train as I originally intended it.

Then it's just to figure out what to do with the MkI Suburban brake it has at the moment. I like it, and now need to find a use for it...

Follow up to my own post from a few hours ago.

post-33750-0-76618500-1527424450.jpg

This is quite a nice coach. Not quite what I'm looking for though Mervyn. Close though, definitely on the list.

post-33750-0-73226600-1527424441.jpeg

This, on the other hand, apart from being a four-wheeler, is damn near PERFECT.

Does anyone have side-by-side comparisons between these and the old Triang / Hornby H&BR four-wheel coaches for me to analyse?

• Like 3

Another update.

Just had a pretty interesting conversation with a close friend, who is my Mum's maybe-maybe not-boyfriend and also fellow railway and model railway enthusiast. He's going to be helping me build and rework the KLR. He came up with a similar idea to the one Nearholmer came up with which is to multilevel the layout and run it around the edge of the room, making me seriously consider doing so, as he brought up some extremely good points. He also brought up a very good point that I hadn't really thought of until now.

What purpose does the KLR actually have in terms of what it actually does?

What he means is, David Bradleigh built the KLR as a plaything... but after his death why did it continue existing? Serving the local area is the answer, but its main source of income is passengers travelling from one end of the line, livestock, and the big one - aggregates from the quarry. But how do the aggregates get to where they need to? How does the KLR get fuel for the locomotives if it's so isolated? Various other things about how their freight works. As you can see that's kind of a big issue with the realism. I mean overall realism is important. The situation the KLR exists in in its version of the "real world" is not theoretically impossible, but there's suspension of disbelief and then there's logic. Might need to relocate the KLR within the map as I'm reworking it in order to account for that.

Speaking of which I'm reworking a few things, most notably renumbering Edward Bradleigh I to No.9 to keep the numbering linear. 

And here he is with the blood and custard "heavy train", reworked to a more usable length:
post-33750-0-04928300-1527441500_thumb.jpg
post-33750-0-78081100-1527441459_thumb.jpg

And then some comparisons for size: Geoffrey Lake and the light train, Mastodon and some gravel trucks, and Peter with the private coach because the KLR's most notorious locomotive should get some airtime. Keep note of the two slate cutting boards in the background.
post-33750-0-13612900-1527441589_thumb.jpg
post-33750-0-96084500-1527441606_thumb.jpg
post-33750-0-19508800-1527441645_thumb.jpg

On the subject of reworks, I've done some thinking and have decided that I actually will order larger number plates for BulldogWild RoverMastodon and Geoffrey Lake to replace the barely legible originals. Also ordering number plates (in the larger plates) and name plates (in the original size) for the other five locomotives. 
  • Like 7

If you're eyeing up the Bachmann Thomas Stroudleys, then I suggest you buy some of Linny's coach kits, far more to scale and also much cheaper.

I can second the recommendation for Linny's carriages, much more accurate and very nice kits!! (or at least I hope they are, I will build mine at some point!!!)

Gary

While I have no doubt of the quality of Linny's work, and meaning no offence to him as I consider him a friend, myself and card kits... do NOT get on.

(Also I've realised I've gone in an unintended direction so this conversation will be cross-posted to and continued on my Workbench, as such conversation on the actual building/designing/etc. of locomotives and stock should be on there..)

• Like 2

Ok. I've been doing some thinking. I have some ideas. Not sure how to depict them, but I have ideas. 

First off, and being serious for a moment. I want to make this clear as I want to make sure I get this across. I genuinely have no experience whatsoever at any of the skills needed to do this bar painting and modelling scenery.  Wiring, doing proper track plans, everything is all totally new to me.

I'm being totally serious. I've never done anything of this sort of scale before, but I'm very much willing to go the extra mile in order to get results. 

I do have a rough idea though, developed from both previous plans and the ideas all of you have given me thus far. More details as I develop them.

On a more upbeat note, I'm planning to start periodically posting up short stories about the KLR locomotives on the Pre-Grouper Lit Thread as mentioned in passing on the CA thread. They're very much inspired by the Railway Series but with my own little tweaks as my style and sense of humour are a bit more... irreverent. Hope you enjoy them. 

• Like 2

If you have a problem with an inward opening door could you make it a sliding door?

Steve

Sadly not as I don't own the house. Also the door opens outwards so that isn't the issue.

First off, and being serious for a moment. I want to make this clear as I want to make sure I get this across. I genuinely have no experience whatsoever at any of the skills needed to do this bar painting and modelling scenery.  Wiring, doing proper track plans, everything is all totally new to me.

You and me both, Red, and yet, look how little I have achieved in two and a half years, despite this.

Seriously, you'll be fine.  You're already more of a modeller than most 'box openers' will ever be, so go for it!

You and me both, Red, and yet, look how little I have achieved in two and a half years, despite this.

Seriously, you'll be fine.  You're already more of a modeller than most 'box openers' will ever be, so go for it!

Thanks, I appreciate it. As always I regard your opinions with the utmost esteem.

And in fairness I'm actually more worried about the accompanying literature being too derivative of other works than screwing up the layout.

Ah, is this but a cunning disguise however?

I ask as I searched 'Corfu Railway' and this distinctly Norfolk-looking scene turned up:

Mark-Bullimore-Bure-Valley-Railway.jpeg

I know Corfu has no railways - Red and I have already discussed that!

I HAVE RETURNED FROM THE STRANGE AND DISTANT ISLE OF CORFU.

Ah, is this but a cunning disguise however?

I ask as I searched 'Corfu Railway' and this distinctly Norfolk-looking scene turned up:

Mark-Bullimore-Bure-Valley-Railway.jpeg

I know Corfu has no railways - Red and I have already discussed that!

Wow. Haven't been to the Bure Valley in years. I'll need to go back sometime.

• Like 1

Made a start on clearing the shed.

BEFORE

post-33750-0-09077300-1529169660_thumb.jpg

AFTER

post-33750-0-38707000-1529169779_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that I can finally make some headway. Also was able to take some more accurate measurements. I came out at 8' 6" x 8' 2". Not sure about how that discrepancy has occurred but once I can totally accurately measure I can then start working on the design properly.

• Like 5