Trouble with Bachmann Dynamis Ultima

Traksy

Hello,

I've recentry tried to set up my DCC system. I haven't done a layout before and I just hooked up my Dynamis Ultima to a single piece of PECO track with one loco on it (DCC Fitted). The loco is brand new with a new decoder.

I don't seem to get any power on the track but there are no errors shown on the controller. There's definitely power going in the command station (~17V) and the receiver shows constant green light. Can you give me any tips or suggestions as to what is happening?

Thank you!

post-19586-0-70498800-1526753276_thumb.jpg

post-19586-0-05940500-1526753283_thumb.jpg

What makes you think there is no power going to the track?

With DCC you don't just put a loco on the track, turn up the throttle on the controller and watch the loco to move. You have to select the loco by entering, or in the case of the Dynamis, calling up the loco from its database of locos.

If the DCC fitted loco is new, then the chances are that it has the address 3. So you have first to select the loco with the address 3 on the Dynamis handset, and then when you move the throttle the loco should move.

Edited by GoingUnderground

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I've measured the output from the command station and it shows as none. I turned it on again and now the whole controller seems to display strange values and move the throttle and loco address on it's own!

It would seem the system was broken out of the box. Is there any place I can have it repaired? Quite disappointed considering how expensive it is.

What sort of meter did you use to measure the output? DCC is what is known as a high frequency square wave AC power source. An ordinary voltmeter won't give you an accurate reading even if you have it on AC. If it was set to DC, then it may read zero because of the high frequncy change of polarity.

If you bought it new recently from a retailer in the UK, then send it back to them and ask for it to be replaced as it is faulty.

Edited by GoingUnderground
  • Like 1

What sort of meter did you use to measure the output? DCC is what is known as a high frequency square wave AC power source. An ordinary voltmeter won't give you an accurate reading even if you have it on AC. If it was set to DC, then it may read zero because of the high frequncy change of polarity.

If you bought it new recently from a retailer in the UK, then send it back to them and ask for it to be replaced as it is faulty.

Ah, a very good point about the meter settings! Changing to AC measure seems to work and outputs ~17v as expected.

Edit: It seems there was an issue with the decoder. It all functions well now! Thank you for your help!

Edited by Traksy