Does anyone remember this Highfield kit for a 7mm SENTINEL shunter?

TEAMYAKIMA

I have been given the task of selling on ebay a HIGHFIELD kit donated to TWICKENHAM & DISTRICT MRC. It's a body kit for an LNER SENTINEL SHUNTER.

To say the very least it's pretty basic. Does anyone remember this kit? What was used as a chassis? Does anyone still have the instructions?

post-4476-0-69440300-1526819924_thumb.jpg

Want to buy it? Look on ebay as I have just listed it.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium

I have been given the task of selling on ebay a HIGHFIELD kit donated to TWICKENHAM & DISTRICT MRC. It's a body kit for an LNER SENTINEL DIESEL SHUNTER.

To say the very least it's pretty basic. Does anyone remember this kit? What was used as a chassis? Does anyone still have the instructions?

attachicon.gif DSC_0281.JPG

It's actually a kit for an LNER Sentinel Y1/3 steam loco.

There are much better metal kits & forthcoming Dapol RTR model

I don't think its a diesel, Highfield did a kit for the vertical boiler Sentinel, vacuum formed plasticard designed to fit on a 4 wheel motor bogie, all those I've ever seen used the Lima 33 bogie as a base. This looks like one f those.

• Like 1

Have one. Not a great kit at today's standards but it can build up to be a good looking loco. There should be a etched brass chassis with the kit. One only problem with them is they were designed to fit a small mashima motor that are no longer available.

Marc   

AFAIR, They did 2 loco kits, the Sentinel shown, and the Tram loco (Y?),

both were originally designed to go on the Lima motor bogie.

The etched brass chassis came later, and was always an extra purchase.

Both are still (occasionally) available from Frizinghall Models, I recently

(last year or so) bought the tram loco kit for about £35-40, ish.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been given the task of selling on ebay a HIGHFIELD kit donated to TWICKENHAM & DISTRICT MRC. It's a body kit for an LNER SENTINEL SHUNTER.

attachicon.gifDSC_0281.JPG

Thank you for the information about this kit. I am the winner of the EBAY auction for this kit. If someone has a pictures of the kit finished I would to see them. Charlie  

Thank you for the information about this kit. I am the winner of the EBAY auction for this kit. If someone has a pictures of the kit finished I would to see them. Charlie  

Hello Charlie

I am the sales officer of Twickenham MRC and so I'm just saying thanks for buying this item.

I have not yet posted your item and tried to contact you a few times via ebay just to confirm that you fully understood what this kit is and what it will take to motorise it. You obviously do as you are a RMwebber and have followed this thread.

So I will post your item on Monday - thanks again.

Guest Isambarduk

If someone has a pictures of the kit finished I would to see them. Charlie  

Well, I don't have a Sentinel but, in the 1970s, I did buy a Highfield kit of the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway, Great Eastern Railway class G15 (LNER class Y6) tram engine as my first venture into 0 gauge Finescale (from Coarsescale ) because I thought it would be easy to make the 'works'. 

WUT-Tram132Frames.jpg

Having done that, I decided that I could make a better job of the skirts, 'cow-catcher' and buffing/coupling gear; as I had been working in Coarsescale previously, I made all this in steel (yes, I know now!).  Having got that far, I decided that I could also make a better job of the body than the rather poorly formed vacuum mouldings provided by Highfield so I built one in plastic card.  In the end, all that was left of the original 'kit' was the idea!

w&ut_tram.jpg

Highfield also offered various coaches and vans.  Here is my HR goods brake, in LMS livery; I did use the sides and ends (I think that's all there was in the 'kit') and the remainder came from Three Aitch and Hornby tinplate parts, and from scratch.

HR20TBrake-s.jpg

David

• 9 months later...