GCR Model Event 2018 15/16/17 June

Hairy Bear Digital

Unfortunately we won't be able to attend this year (Steve's condition dictates) it is all shaping up to be a good one, we were particularly looking forward to seeing Weaver Hill and just watching the trains go by, so good luck guys, see you all soon.

J&S  

Visited today, arrived just after 10am and left at 3.30pm due to needing to be elsewhere later in the day, did not get to see everything but enjoyed plenty of time in the main exhibition marquee. Another superb show - the GCR event is definitely becoming one of the biggest in the calendar. Congrats to all the organisers - I will be back tomorrow with daughter in tow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just back having baled out of the M1 due to closure at J14-13, and got stuck on the A5 instead.

Excellent day out with daughter No.3 and grandson No.1. Marquees not too hot, but a few running problems early on attributed to the dust kicked up during set-up.

Train timetable works better than last time I visited, which was two years ago now. Rode five trains, all different haulage without any forward planning.

Anyway, well done to everyone involved, and somehow managed to get away without having to buy a 1 Gauge Percy set due to the fact he couldn't quite lift the box.....

Dave

I went yesterday, Friday, and had a very enjoyable day. It wasn't too hot in the marquees, helped by a substantially cloudy day, and also not a huge number of people in that one could easily get to see all the layouts.

The range of layouts seemed quite varied, and whilst one or two had technical issues the majority seemed to be running fine.

I left just on 17.00 at the close, and had a return from Quorn to Leicester on the Metro - Cam railcar, an interesting experience for someone who is a lineside photographer here and hardly ever rides the trains!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today was a highly successful day for all...including mums,dads,kids.......and dogs.The tent seemed to cope admirably with it all .Excellent and varied layouts from Z to O at Quorn and the big boys at Rothley next stop up the line.GCR shuttle operating efficiently loaded to capacity with 70013,73156 and 92114 sharing the steam honours and MetroCam DMU plus D123,D8XXX and D5185 the diesels.

Trade stands were numerous and equally varied and seemed to be happy with the way it was going. Chats with Chris Trerise on Kernow and Joel on Dapol.Became Club member (!!!) upon enquiring about the B4. He had one LSWR left. Saw it in operation on the nice layout next door,Only too happy to oblige...everyone so friendly. Result ...B4 now mine.Cute little model.As DickEmery would say.""ooh you are awful...but I like it " .

No better way to spend a day.Well done to all concerned.You are doing a great job.A happy event.

Footnote....and a sad one I'm afraid.Bachmann and Dapol are there and engaging positively with retailers and modellers alike.

Yet this year there is no Hornby presence at what is now one of the Railway Modelling Year's major events. Last year we had great and productive conversation with the team.Last month at Rails refurbishment launch they were also conspicuous by their absence

Is there any particular reason why this iconic manufacturer of model railways chooses to shun an opportunity to shop window their products ? Surely it can't be beneath their dignity to attend.....Shame.

• Like 4

Returned today for a second visit with daughter in tow. Managed to get to Rothley and Loughborough to see the larger attractions there. My daughter was very excited to see the "Silver Lady" from the C4 series and she also enjoyed the child friendly models such as the Minions one and Thomas. She also enjoyed spotting different cameos on Goathland, Museum of Transport and Oakenthorpe. I was suitable impressed by the Isle of Wight Gauge 3 models on Blackgang.

The show was definitely busier than yesterday as to be expected, but the halls were never overly busier helped by the frequent train service. I may also enjoy railway photography, but I make sure I support the railway by riding the trains regularly. Yesterday was a rare occurrence of a visit that did not involve a train ride. Today made up for it with a run to Rothley behind 70013 and a first run behind 73156. The DMU was also used when required. 

The second visit also helped me see things in the main marquee that I missed yesterday and I did end up spending money with the trade stands on this occasion.

Another enjoyable day - daughter wants to visit again tomorrow (I think that might be a bit of an overkill).

I definitely agree with the comments about Hornby's absence. I was also disappointed to note their absence on this occasion.

• Like 1

Here's another thank you for a thoroughly good time at the show today.  Managed to arrive early enough to park at Loughborough and then take some highly atmospheric snaps of the big steamers making their final preparations on shed in light rainy conditions, which added to the atmosphere.  Some great layouts: personal favourites included 'Appledore' ( - never seen quite so many '22s on a single layout, though none of them looked out of place) and the still inspirational 'Tonbridge West', which looks better now than the first time I saw it.  Though I didn't make a note of the name I was also quite taken with the small industrial diesel-worked coal sidings, which just oozed atmosphere - very good indeed, I thought!   Tents were busy but not rammed; the temperatures were comfortable; plenty of trade; and the whole atmosphere pleasant.   

Hope anybody venturing over there tomorrow has a good day: well worth the trip.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 6

Is there any particular reason why this iconic manufacturer of model railways chooses to shun an opportunity to shop window their products ? Surely it can't be beneath their dignity to attend.....Shame.

Given last years temperatures perhaps they decided to give it a miss. For exhibitors and shop owners it is less of a problem. If you have employees the quoted temperatures from 2017 may have been in the bracket of requiring remedial action for many health monitoring systems.  

Edited by Bomag

Good evening all,

That's another day all done and dusted. The layout is running well and the stock is behaving. There have been a few changes and we have managed to get the sleeper running okay now.

An excellent show and plenty of excellencet layout attending. We are all looking forward to the last day.

• Like 1

I visited Friday and enjoyed myself that much, I stayed until the very end, when I was politely booted out by security!

This was my first visit to this event and I just have to doff my cap in the direction of the organisers and in general to the Railway staff of the GC. They worked tirelessly all day to ensure that the real things went like clockwork.

The marquees at Quorn were just vast, and I dont think that there is anything to compare for sheer quantity outside of the Warley show at the NEC, when you add the exhibits at the other stations. It was wonderful to be able to wander about and hop on/off trains as I wished - could there be a more suitably brilliant location for a model railway exhibition? Add to that there was also the bar at Quorn serving some lovely crafted beer, that I thought I'd achieved Nirvana!

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given last years temperatures perhaps they decided to give it a miss. For exhibitors and shop owners it is less of a problem. If you have employees the quoted temperatures from 2017 may have been in the bracket of requiring remedial action for many health monitoring systems.

Quite why it is less of a problem defeats me.There are in any case more than a few employees ..in the conventional sense ...there in any case...e.g Hornby Magazine ( as opposed to Hornby ).Ordinary as opposed to corporate mortals also can be overcome by heat .Thus last year's conditions whilst admittedly extreme ( I recall Paul Isles successfully setting up an electric fan on Hornby's stand ) did not put anyone else off attending this event. This year weather conditions have returned to what these days is normal for June.

No,sorry,I don't buy this argument at all.I'm afraid that this avoidance of public appearances is now all to familiar since the end of last year.If other manufacturers go out of their way to promote their products at shows and other significant events then so should Hornby.

In Heaven's name,what is there to lose ? The competition is stealing a march on them in both p.r and product promotion which surely leads to goodwill and an increase in sales for them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby aside, 

I went yesterday and had a nice day out - however it did seem that there were a lot fewer people there this year. The tents were much cooler thanks to the cloudy weather, and maybe it was just the lack of footfall but the floorboard bounce didn't seem anywhere near as bad.

Some cracking layout, across both a range of gauges and a mixture of British outline and European / American.

Had a quick look at the upcoming Dapol 122 in O, which looks like it will soon be added to my roster.

Edited by maq1988
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some cracking layout, across both a range of gauges and a mixture of British outline and European / American.

And Australian, which you don't see too often. My nearly 3 year old grandson was deep in conversation with the lady operating the layout, discussing broken down diesel shunters, XPTs and Father Christmas.

Dave

• Like 2

Evening All 

Another show done and dusted , all home now , van returned , even got home for Poldark .

Nice meeting people , and thanks to the exhibition team , i hope all their hard work has paid off and they have something to show for all there work ,

look forward to next year now .

Goodnight .

• RMweb Gold

Ambleside back at the club room now, I'm now home with a cuppa and feeling the effect of four busy days. Thanks to the organising team and nice to meet a few RMWebbers. More tomorrow if I can wake up.

Brian

Readham is back and safely stored away after a successful exhibition at GCR, time to dust off all the stock as to say the least it was very dusty ;) Really grateful to all the team (Dave, Phil, Dan and Matt) for making it such a success and great fun.

• Like 2

Readham is back and safely stored away after a successful exhibition at GCR, time to dust off all the stock as to say the least it was very dusty ;) Really grateful to all the team (Dave, Phil, Dan and Matt) for making it such a success and great fun.

That was me in the car with Phil as he honked at you on the A42!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself too, Oakenshaw ran very well and the marquee was quite pleasant and cool. I didn't really get a chance to go elsewhere on the line, but there was plenty to keep me occupied at Quorn.

That was me in the car with Phil as he honked at you on the A42!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself too, Oakenshaw ran very well and the marquee was quite pleasant and cool. I didn't really get a chance to go elsewhere on the line, but there was plenty to keep me occupied at Quorn.

Oakenshaw was one of my favourite layouts at the show.

• Like 1

I had a great day there yesterday on my first visit to the line.

I thought the exhibition was very good. and could have spent much longer there, but enjoyed riding the line also,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

And many thanks for the invite to join the crew, and Saturday supper Steve - it really was great fun.

Also great to see other RMwebbers esp. Mr Mortimore and Liam and those on Weaver Hill - sorry I missed you Ben - and Ambleside 

Its a very different dynamic operating someone's layout other than your own ... slightly less stressful

Managed to escape without a major hole in finances although the TTGFYE D9001 on the DPS stand was calling.....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

I travelled to the event on the Friday and had a complete and utter disaster of a day in so far as I visited The Manor House Pub opposite the railway station at Quorn and found to my dismay that they no longer serve Velkopopovicky Kozel, went back into the marquee and spent an hour or two walking around like a Zombie.

• RMweb Premium

And many thanks for the invite to join the crew, and Saturday supper Steve - it really was great fun.

Also great to see other RMwebbers esp. Mr Mortimore and Liam and those on Weaver Hill - sorry I missed you Ben - and Ambleside 

Its a very different dynamic operating someone's layout other than your own ... slightly less stressful

Managed to escape without a major hole in finances although the TTGFYE D9001 on the DPS stand was calling.....

Cheers

Phil

Likewise, Lord Bullock of Abbotswood, it was very nice to see you behind a strange layout.

My favorite Deltic when I was spotting was St Paddy, so for years I have waited for it to be made by Bachmann, but not with a full yella end, just a nice small panel. I could renumber a loco with a small yellow panel, but all the ones I have are ones with regimental nameplates printed on and I doubt i would be able to remove them or paint over them successfully and a full repaint I might as well by any Deltic. Moan over.