Mainline Peak armature

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Mainline Peak which hasn't run since about 1981. Still got pretty much all the bits, and am now in the process of detailing it and restoring it to life.

Since I don't have the original brushes, I used Hornby brushes & springs, which seem to fit, although the springs do compress right up. The problem is the motor is very reluctant to turn. I have had it running, but it gets very hot. Having buzzed it out with a meter, there is no sign of a short between windings or commutator segments. The magnets do seem to have life in them, though how good is difficult to measure. The armature does not seem unduly stiff when turning using a fine screwdriver on one of the drive gears.

So, 2 questions:-

1-What could the problem be?

2-If it's had it, what could I replace it with? What replacement motor would be easiest to shoehorn in, bearing in mind that I don't want to do too much major surgery on the bogie.

cheers N

Could be friction from the brushes. If the springs are compressed right up then there will be excessive force, and even if that does not act as a brake it will shorten the life of the brushes considerably.

Funnily enough, I just had a Mainline 45 apart for cleaning and servicing yesterday. Not having fiddled with Mainline before I was struck by how light the brush springs were compared to the ones in Lima pancakes, for example. I would think that Hornby springs, fully compressed, will be applying far too much pressure. At the very least they probably need a bit of pruning.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the same-glad I'm not the only one!

Next question-are replacement brush springs for Mainline available?

Cheers N

Try contacting Replica, they did have some Peak spares, I am not sure if they still do.

Try contacting Replica, they did have some Peak spares, I am not sure if they still do.

Down the bottom of the webpage

Only the bogie frame available. There is the old "pod" motor listed, but apparently not suitable for the Peak bogie. Might be able to use the brushes and springs out of it, but £6.50 is a bit much to pay if you're only using those bits and not the whole motor.

• RMweb Gold

Only the bogie frame available. There is the old "pod" motor listed, but apparently not suitable for the Peak bogie. Might be able to use the brushes and springs out of it, but £6.50 is a bit much to pay if you're only using those bits and not the whole motor.

I did speak to Replica at the recent Bristol model show in Thornbury. He confirmed no spares suitable for the old Mainline Peak motor.

• RMweb Premium

I did speak to Replica at the recent Bristol model show in Thornbury. He confirmed no spares suitable for the old Mainline Peak motor.

Perhaps the best option is to buy one from somewhere. Although likely to be more expensive than its worth.

I also wondered if the magnet could be cannibalised out of it.

Or another option is to use the innards out of the early Bachmann class 46. These were the first models to come with heavy metal centre chassis and twin bogie drive. Even the mounting points match the mainline body. And you still keep the wonderful 1bo1 bogies.

• 2 months later...

The condition of the magnet is very fundamental to the operation of a DC motor, therefore I would not discount the advice of the very old magnet having lost  most of its strength, I had a Mainline Warship which demagnetised in only 10 years.

Is it possible to temporarily "piggyback" another magnet, such as a Neo magnet,   onto the failing  motor as a diagnostic test to  see if things improve?

Edited by Pandora