Loco not slowing down in reverse

Windjabbers

I’ve a new loco which I have got the shop to fit a dcc chip. It works fine going forward but in reverse when I turn the controller off there is no loss of power. It’s already been back once for a new chip and it’s still doing the same thing. Any suggestions what is wrong before I send it back for a second time? Thanks David

Too many assumptions needed from the (lack of) information provided !

We 'assume' you are trying to run the converted loco on a dcc system 8-)  ( An old H&M pre-electronic era controller will give a similar effect on almost all dcc-fitted locos placed on its track due to the 100Hz rectified ac )

So, assuming its dcc, on dcc, and the decoder was fitted correctly *with or without a socket ???
When to say ,in Reverse ( is it now already moving in reverse??)    ..." when I turn the controller off, there is no loss of power' ...

are you saying  - once started in reverse, it travels at fullspeed, and does not slow down when the controller is set to 0 speed

I have had a new, out-of-the box, dcc-ready (with socket) loco which ran only in one direction .... because a CAPACITOR had been fitted (at the factory) across the pickup in the bogie .... no problem for analogue, in fact a good place - BUT the wrong side of the socket !!

PRESUMABLY the loco tested OKAY in the SHOP on their system - they should be ableto demonstrate that to you.

Therefore details of your systemare needed - 

IF YOU ARE NEW TO DCC - ie CONVERTED A LAYOUT from Analogue - DID YOU REMOVE the suppression capacitor IN ALL of your TRACKFEEDS ??? ( ALL commericially provided track feeds WILL have had these to suppress interference in analogue. = otherwise expect the same result as the loco with the capacitor fitted in the bogie, that I mentioned above 8-)

Bachmann have 3 capacitors - including one underneath the motor,in some models, which can cause problems (especially with back emf)

I have had Hornby Loco(s) where the multiple pickup wires have been soldered (at the factory) to several positions on the socket - no problem when tested on analogue, AND apparently okay when tested with a meter OFF THE TRACK - it was only when the wheels made parallel pickups from the track that the short-circuit direct to the motor connection became  a problem (smoke)

Current Rating - one can only assume; unless you specified the decoder to be fitted, that the dealer has chosen one with a suitablecurrent rating.

• RMweb Premium

What make of decoder is it? Recent Zimo decoders may have an "active brake" facility where you set the speed to zero and slow/stop the loco using function 2 or the Horn/Whistle button.

Mind you, that should apply in both directions so possibly isn't the problem here.

What make of decoder is it? Recent Zimo decoders may have an "active brake" facility where you set the speed to zero and slow/stop the loco using function 2 or the Horn/Whistle button.

Mind you, that should apply in both directions so possibly isn't the problem here.

'Recent' being any ZIMO from the last 3 years, or any ZIMO decoder of any age which has been updated to software V34 or higher. (one of the great advantages of 'software updateable' decoders over the other type).

This, however, is not the issue here.

Best regards,

Paul

Which chip has been fitted? I would make it a priority to find this out. I keep away from certain ones after previous experience of some not working correctly.

Which control system do you use?

I am using the Bachmann Branchline 36-500 EZ Command DCC controller and the loco is fitted with Gaugemaster DCC23 6 oin N gauge, its one of Hattons new Andrew B' 040st.