How to get a clean finish to openings cut in plastic card?

Just that - what's the best way to get a really clean finish to the edges of openings cut in embossed plasticard over 1mm plastic card? I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get rid of the last minute "fluffy" bits along the cut edge. Is it just a case of persevering with fine file, finer abrasive paper and the edge of a scalpel blade, or is there a magic technique?

• RMweb Gold

Using an "Olfa" type cutter/scrawker helps minimise the fash in the first place.

Edited to add;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Scale-RC-Model-Tools-Series-TRUMPETER-09912-Hobby-Line-Engraver-09912-Wire-Cutter-Hook-Knife-for/32806526947.html

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

Just that - what's the best way to get a really clean finish to the edges of openings cut in embossed plasticard over 1mm plastic card? I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get rid of the last minute "fluffy" bits along the cut edge. Is it just a case of persevering with fine file, finer abrasive paper and the edge of a scalpel blade, or is there a magic technique?

Which embossed plastic card are you using that is more than 1mm thick?

There will always be a burr when cutting plastic card. I minimise this by a few light score cuts then snapping the card. The deeper the cuts the bigger and fluffier the burr.

When cutting out windows etc. I score the out line, and then I score diagonally. Using a blunt tool I press on the centre of the aperture I am cutting and the plastic card is then snapped.

post-16423-0-69010500-1526980776_thumb.jpg

To remove burrs, run a straight edge along the flat side first, this will take most of the burr off. Then repeat doing the same on the edge. Only use a file, sand paper on any remaining burr. To use a file etc on a large burr can result in the rounded edge not a sharp and square one. 

post-16423-0-60934100-1526982126_thumb.png

• Like 1

Cheers Clive. It's yer ordinary Slater's embossed Plastikard stuck onto 1mm plastic card. I can get neat apertures in the 1mm, despite my arthritic hands, and I'm not doing too badly all things considered with the cutiing out of the embossed, but once they're sandwiched, I've been struggling to get a totally clean finish to the reveals.

Maybe I just need to try different grades of abrasive paper after the initial filing, and then experiment with different blade angles doing the final (hopefully) deburring ...

Edited by spikey