What are the best servo motors for peco Insulfrog points

Hi all.. What in your opinion are the best servo motors for peco Insulfrog points ?

Base board is about 1cm think if thats important ???? 

Controller is a ESU ECoS 50200

and the control thing between will be a ESU SwitchPilot Servo V2.0

I want them to last a long time obviously :-) quality over budget :-) ..

My layout has around 40 points .. 

Thanks guys..

Nick

Edited by 40034_Nick

• RMweb Premium

As long as you set them up properly (they are not running against any non-elastic border) they will all last. If you want better quality look for metal gears. Companies like Hobbyking sell them for little money.

Example: HobbyKing™ HK15178B Digital Servo MG 1.0kg / 0.10sec / 13.4g  - 3£65

Digital is not necessary and doesn't give you advantages - but these days almost all servos are digital.

Don't buy precision servos for high speed model aeroplanes - they are not necessary to change a point.

Just a little addition - my layout has the same number of points/signals (4xmegapoint controller) and I use even cheaper ones...

(HobbyKing™ HK15178 Analog Servo 1.4kg / 0.10sec / 10g 1£87, plastic gears or Turnigy™ TG9e Eco Micro Servo 1.5kg / 0.10sec / 10.1g analog, plastic gears 2£04)

Edited by Vecchio

I’m using the ubiquitous SG-90 with Megapoints boards, bought from China for <£1 each, work without issue.

Would these be suitable for signal control? I'm in the process of building my first signal gantry, which will have eight arms.

post-665-0-17605900-1527011815_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-67552100-1527011993_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Would these be suitable for signal control? I'm in the process of building my first signal gantry, which will have eight arms.

Yes they will be fine, we have been using the same ones on the the signals of SHMRC's Hope under Dinmore layout for the last 10 years.

Yes they will be fine, we have been using the same ones on the the signals of SHMRC's Hope under Dinmore layout for the last 10 years.

If you go for the Megapoints board you can also set it up for random signal bounce.

If you go for the Megapoints board you can also set it up for random signal bounce.

Thank you for your info. I've had a look at various websites and although the servos are a couple of pounds each the control seams to start at £150/£200 for the 20 signals I wish to operate. Can you operate a servo from a 12volt simple switch?

I have done that and I think the results are excellent.  I think it's a major addition to the realism of the layout to have working semaphores.  I used cheap servos too and they have been fine.