Fitting Peco point motors - n gauge

Milano

I am sure this question has been asked before but are there any advantages/disadvantages to fitting a point motor directly unto a Peco point without the need for a mounting place? Iknow I will have to cut out a hole out on the baseboard to accommodate it.

Thanks

Milano

I am sure this question has been asked before but are there any advantages/disadvantages to fitting a point motor directly unto a Peco point without the need for a mounting place? Iknow I will have to cut out a hole out on the baseboard to accommodate it.

Thanks

Milano

If the point motor fails then you probably have to lift the whole point to remove and replace. Attaching the motor separately to the baseboard means easier replacement but working under the baseboard might be an issue if you are getting on.

Richard

As far as I am aware, the fitting to N gauge points is the same as for 00 gauge - ie by poking four tabs through slots in the sleepers from underneath the point, and then twisting the tabs so that they cannot fall out.  If that is so, the motor can be released from the point in case of need, by straightening the tabs and withdrawing the motor from underneath the baseboard - no need to remove the point.  The main difficulty is getting the (large) hole in the right place so that the point, when fitted, aligns perfectly with the track.  If the hole is made too big, support for sleepers may be lost.

I used this method when making a fan of sidings on a baseboard of 12mm thick plywood.  I thought it might be preferable to using the extended pin that would have been necessary in my case.

Harold.

• RMweb Premium

If the point motor fails then you probably have to lift the whole point to remove and replace. Attaching the motor separately to the baseboard means easier replacement but working under the baseboard might be an issue if you are getting on.

Richard

Peco point motors in my experience rarely fail, when a CDU is used. One thing that can happen is that the pin drops out, especially if the long activation arm is used with the joiner. I believe the newer ones have a long rod, rather than an extension sleeve.