North Molton Narrow Gauge Railway

Dear Folks,

I know that you all have an amazing encyclopaedic knowledge of all things trains... I heard the other day from a friend, that there are rumours there used to be a narrow gauge railway or tramway at North Molton in Devon, serving a silver mine.  Is this true?  And do any of you have any more information or photos on it please!?

Many thanks

Stuart

Your friend is correct. There was a line called the New Florence Mine Tramway running from Florence Siding on the Devon and Somerset Railway to the Croborn  Mine and New Florence  Mine via North Molton. The traffic was principally Iron Ore although other metals were I believe found in smaller quantities. It lasted from 1873 until the mid 1880s. It was horse worked.

Historical detail is not only on the web, but also covered in the Devon and Somerset Railway books by Maggs and Huxtable and also in Railways around Exmoor

I have walked the route from South Molton to North Molton and not only is the formation quite visible but it is a very pleasant walk in itself. It is marked as a footpath. The start takes a bit of finding. I started on the North Devon Link Road at the junction near the site of South Molton Station. You take a farm track until you see the site of the siding and then the formation becomes clear.

It is also marked on the on line historical maps.

Hope that helps

Your friend is correct. There was a line called the New Florence Mine Tramway running from Florence Siding on the Devon and Somerset Railway to the Croborn  Mine and New Florence  Mine via North Molton. The traffic was principally Iron Ore although other metals were I believe found in smaller quantities. It lasted from 1873 until the mid 1880s. It was horse worked.

Historical detail is not only on the web, but also covered in the Devon and Somerset Railway books by Maggs and Huxtable and also in Railways around Exmoor

I have walked the route from South Molton to North Molton and not only is the formation quite visible but it is a very pleasant walk in itself. It is marked as a footpath. The start takes a bit of finding. I started on the North Devon Link Road at the junction near the site of South Molton Station. You take a farm track until you see the site of the siding and then the formation becomes clear.

It is also marked on the on line historical maps.

Hope that helps

Many thanks!  Yes I will try and walk the route this summer.

brilliant!

Stuart