Southern Pride 2-HAP lighting?

cromptonnut

Does anyone have any suggestions for adding directional lighting to a Southern Pride 2-HAP kit please?

I know I can get a cheap chip and set up directional lighting easily enough but not sure what options I have for the lighting itself.

Has anyone done this conversion and can give me any pointers?

The unit will run together with an MLV for the short lived 'blacklisting' of the units until the brake conversion was done. 

For quite a few kits I'd buy a selection of LEDs and resistors from a handy supplier.

Key wires are

Blue - for the common return

White - head lights at one end (also tail at the other)

Yellow - head lights at the other end (ditto tail)

Alternatively using the other functions output can be used for internal lights or to have separate control of the tail lights.

Personally I'd not hard wire the chip into the kit as you can get from the likes of Bachmann spares (at most shops) DCC sockets along with wiring harness. This would allow you to change the chip at a later date say for a sound one.

I didn't know if there was a 'go to' supplier for these kinda things, or whether it was a 'raid Maplin' activity.

Express Models might have been a source but as they have not updated their website CAPTCHA it is impossible to make contact with them by email.

Edited by cromptonnut

It appears to just be the standard 'behind the blinds' lighting so a white/red bicolour should do it but I seem to recall these can sometimes be tricky to make work with DCC.  I'll drop them an email though Mike.

A 3-legged red/white or red/yellow led needs to be common anode to work on DCC without a lot of faffing around with diodes.

Try to get 2mm or smaller ones for neatness, even smd ones if your soldering is up to it and control the brightness with plenty of resistance. I use a 1k resistor in each leg of each led.

My preferred method nowadays is to use a central smd resistor board with 3 wires (red, white and blue+) to the parallel connected leds at each end and 3 wires (blue+, white and yellow) to the decoder socket.

Rob